Has anyone noticed: it is easier for a CPL club to qualify via the Voyageurs Cup than by being league winner?

This also means that Fury has easy a time of it as any CPL team. 

To qualify directly in the V-Cup, first, you have to exist. Then do 3 or maximum 4 knock-out rounds to get to the Champions group stage by winning the V-Cup. 6-8 games.

As CPL champ, you will eventually have to be league leader after a long season, and then only get to the preliminary rounds before the group stage.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Has anyone noticed: it is easier for a CPL club to qualify via the Voyageurs Cup than by being league winner?

This also means that Fury has easy a time of it as any CPL team. 

To qualify directly in the V-Cup, first, you have to exist. Then do 3 or maximum 4 knock-out rounds to get to the Champions group stage by winning the V-Cup. 6-8 games.

As CPL champ, you will eventually have to be league leader after a long season, and then only get to the preliminary rounds before the group stage.

I did notice. 

The relegation of all of Central America means that CONCACAF League will be one hell of a tough Competition. You have to consider clubs like Alajuelense, Herediano and Saprissa as favorites to advance. They have done just as good as MLS teams in Champions League over the years.

So yeah, CPL club will definitely see the Voyageurs Cup as the best opportunity to advance to Champions League over finishing top 6 in CONCACAF League

As well, if we are predicting it correctly, the 2019 CPL champ will qualify for the 2020 Concacaf league. Then, if it finishes top 6 will qualify for the 2021 Champions league. So to win the champions league in 2021, it starts this year... that is some crazy build up to win a trophy. The Voyageur cup qualification skips a whole year of games.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Yep, I expect them to get massively pissed off. Can't argue Costa Rica got royally screwed here.

Panama is the one that got the most screwed actually. By the CONCACAF Club Index Panama 1 is ranked 9th, ahead of an American spot and of course the Caribbean spot, and yet USA gets all 4 of their spots and the Caribbean gets to keep their spot.

The highest ranked Costa Rican spot is actually 11th.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

+1 straight to Champions League. They are still showing as qualified for 2020. That's 4 overall across all competitions. More than Costa Rica even

Having one more than a country with one league isn't excessive when you're spots representing 10+ leagues (albeit of varying levels of skill and professionalism)

I am still processing this.

Pro: CPL gets a spot.

Con: Is the club index thrown out the window? It’s unfair how they split the teams up as noted in my post above.

Con: The format changes again without introducing a group stage.

Pro: With 6 teams moving on from CONCACAF League, it increases the chances of a CPL team making it to CCL over if they were given a CL spot in the old system.

Con: Seemingly decreases the chances of CPL getting an automatic spot in CCL.

Con: Might be pointing to an apertura clausura system in CPL.

I don’t outright love everything about this news, but overall it’s a W since CPL gets a spot.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

2019 CONCACAF League

Round 1 (Home and away)

1. Belize (1)
  2. Canada (1)
  3. Caribbean (2)
  4. Costa Rica (1)
  5. El Salvador (2)
  6. Guatemala (2)
  7. Honduras (1)
  8. Nicaragua (1)
  9. Panama (1)

Total of 12

*Winners (6 teams) advances to Round 2

Round 2 (Round of 16)

10 teams + the winners (6 teams) from Round 1

1. Caribbean (1)
  2. Costa Rica (2)
  3. El Salvador (1)
  4. Guatemala (1)
  5. Honduras (2)
  6. Nicaragua (1)
  7. Panama (2)
  8. Round 1 Winners (6)

Total of 16 teams

Who qualifies to the 2020 CONCACAF League Champions

1. 2019 CONCACAF League Champions advances to 2020 Champions League
  2. Semi-Finalists automatically advance to 2020 Champions League (4 teams including the champion)
  3. Top 2 losing teams of the Quarter-Finals advances to the 2020 Champions League

2020 Champions League

Qualified - 10 teams

1. Mexico (4)
  2. USA (4)
  3. Canada (1)
  4. CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championship (1)
  5. 6 teams from CONCACAF League

Total of 16

Total of 32 teams overall

Why no group stage instead?

• 8 groups of 4 (Random draw)
  • Best 2 of each group advances to Round of 16

8 groups of 4 is pretty similar to the 8 groups of 3 we had until a few years ago.  Before that it was 4 groups of 4.  I loved the group stage in theory but in practice it never worked.  It was not competitive enough, nor was it compelling viewing.  

Knockout football works and it sells.

Am I wrong or has the CPL not posted anything about this news yet, either on their website or a tweet. Since there is a bit of a delay I hope that when they do say something they will explain how the CL spot will be awarded, maybe even with a schedule or at least the format for also determining a champion

Actually kinda liking this scheme.  An international carrot, even if it's going to be against clubs 97% of CPL fans/supporters have never heard of does still have a healthy bit of sexiness about it.  The knock out format, like the V's Cup, won't add a bunch of fixtures to anybodies calendar unless of course they earn it.  Everybody loves knock out competitions and everybody loves a good underdog story.  If any CPL team goes anywhere in this tourney it's going to be a good underdog story.  No doubt about it.

Of course the Devil is in the details though. 

I mean how else can you fairly contest for a CPL "champion" to enter the tourney without a balanced 1st half schedule?  And if we have to have a  apertura/clausura league schedule to get this then I vote nay.    Yuck.  Figure something else out.  If some one from CPL HQ needs to they can call me.  We'll tilt a few glasses and see if we can't figure something else out. 

PIty both the the V's Cup and CONCACAF League will both be awarded so early into the league's season.  Would be better if we can close out the footballing season with as much of a flourish as possible.

32 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I mean how else can you fairly contest for a CPL "champion" to enter the tourney without a balanced 1st half schedule?  And if we have to have a  apertura/clausura league schedule to get this then I vote nay.    Yuck.  Figure something else out.  If some one from CPL HQ needs to they can call me.  We'll tilt a few glasses and see if we can't figure something else out.

The league has categorically said "no playoffs" so it is not an apertura/clausura system.

I have posted multiple times that the simple solution is to simply give the CL place to the CPL team with the most points after the first "fully interlocking schedule" has been completed. Then just keep playing. No need to declare the first half of the season closed! Seems to fit in with the announced timelines too. Maybe this time it will stick. ?

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

2019 CONCACAF League

Round 1 (Home and away)

1. Belize (1)
  2. Canada (1)
  3. Caribbean (2)
  4. Costa Rica (1)
  5. El Salvador (2)
  6. Guatemala (2)
  7. Honduras (1)
  8. Nicaragua (1)
  9. Panama (1)

Total of 12

*Winners (6 teams) advances to Round 2

Round 2 (Round of 16)

10 teams + the winners (6 teams) from Round 1

1. Caribbean (1)
  2. Costa Rica (2)
  3. El Salvador (1)
  4. Guatemala (1)
  5. Honduras (2)
  6. Nicaragua (1)
  7. Panama (2)
  8. Round 1 Winners (6)

Total of 16 teams

Who qualifies to the 2020 CONCACAF League Champions

1. 2019 CONCACAF League Champions advances to 2020 Champions League
  2. Semi-Finalists automatically advance to 2020 Champions League (4 teams including the champion)
  3. Top 2 losing teams of the Quarter-Finals advances to the 2020 Champions League

2020 Champions League

Qualified - 10 teams

1. Mexico (4)
  2. USA (4)
  3. Canada (1)
  4. CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championship (1)
  5. 6 teams from CONCACAF League

Total of 16

Total of 32 teams overall

Why no group stage instead?

• 8 groups of 4 (Random draw)
  • Best 2 of each group advances to Round of 16

Thanks for laying that all out!

Regarding the group stage idea - that would definitely be more entertaining and "league" like in my opinion. 

That said, it's the unfortunate reality of CONCACAF that smaller clubs lack resources. Smaller clubs in Europe can travel more comfortably. Plus the travel is much less in Europe anyway. Conversely, a team from Nicaragua or Belize would have to fly thousands of miles, conceivably to a far flung place like Toronto or (worse) Edmonton. The financial toll would be a detriment to such clubs.

What I like about this new format is that it gives CanPL clubs an opportunity to play in CONCACAF, which means young up and coming Canadian professionals get the experience of playing away in CONCACAF! And who is that good for? The Canadian men's national team.

Compared to the young US pro players, our young up and coming professionals could get more exposure to hostile CONCACAF environments. The four US teams, undoubtedly coming from MLS, are full of internationals from all over the world now. The chances for young Americans to see minutes in the Champions League is not that great. Meanwhile, Cavalry FC could enter CONCACAF league with a bunch of Albertans who gain experience playing away in San Pedro Sula or San Jose or Kingston. Next year maybe a bunch of Manitobans from Valour FC. That's huge if you ask me!

That's not even mentioning what this will add from a fan / growth of the game perspective. Every year at least 1 Canadian PL club will be in CONCACAF league. The games kick off late in summer, perfect!

I imagine Cavalry FC having to juggle league commitments with an eye on their Voyageurs Cup semi final with Toronto FC. Meanwhile, a CONCACF league round of 16 match with Saprissa awaits the following week!

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

So wait, is it possible that some Central American squads to play simultaneously in this year's CONCACAF champions league and Concacaf League???

I don't think so. Champions League will be concluded by Spring. CONCACAF league doesn't start until late summer. 

17 hours ago, Ansem said:

+1 straight to Champions League. They are still showing as qualified for 2020. That's 4 overall across all competitions. More than Costa Rica even

I like the balance of Caribbean teams. If you win that regional cup, with teams such as Portmore United, W Connection and Central FC, not to mention whoever is coming out of Cuba, Dominican Republic or Haiti - then you deserve a Champions League place in my opinion. 

Additionally, the runner-up gets a very fair ticket to the round of 16 of CONCACAF League, while 3rd and 4th enter in the preliminary round (with the CanPL representative).

Considering the Jamaican Premier League and the T&T Pro League have been around for a while, and considering those two leagues have more teams than our league, and considering neither of those leagues has a guaranteed spot, and considering we do....well I think at the very least they deserve what they have been given, arguably more than us.

The more Caribbean clubs play Central America clubs, the better for both regions and the better for CONCACF. It simply brings the confederation together. 

Edited by Obinna

Thinking about CCL scheduling for a moment: Apparently play in the 2019 CCL starts on Feb 19th. That is one week from now. Here in Winnipeg it is -16C with the windchill and there are a couple of feet of snow on the ground that ain't going away anytime soon. And we have just come off -40C with the windchill. There is no chance of playing outdoors in Winnipeg in February. I guess they could play indoors (we do have three great full size indoor facilities) but it would have to be in front of hundreds of spectators, not thousands. And it would be kinda bush league.

In the same vein, I thought I saw somewhere that the CL finals will be in November. More often than not it snows at the start of November and -25C with the windchill could certainly happen. And if Valour are strong, we could be talking about THIS November!

Edited by dsqpr

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Thinking about CCL scheduling for a moment: Apparently play in the 2019 CCL starts on Feb 19th. That is one week from now. Here in Winnipeg it is -16C with the windchill and there are a couple of feet of snow on the ground that ain't going away anytime soon. And we have just come off -40C with the windchill. There is no chance of playing outdoors in Winnipeg in February. I guess they could play indoors (we do have three great full size indoor facilities) but it would have to be in front of hundreds of spectators, not thousands. And it would be kinda bush league.

In the same vein, I thought I saw somewhere that the CL finals will be in November. More often than not it snows at the start of November and -25C with the windchill could certainly happen. And if Valour are strong, we could be talking about THIS November!

Very good point! Same for Calgary or Edmonton too actually. For Calgary they'd probably have to play in the foothills fieldhouse.

Edited by Obinna

The CONCACAF League is definitely easier to participate in for logistical terms than the Champions League, but up to 10 CL games + up to 10 Voyageurs Cup games + 28 regular season games + however many games at the end do not constitute a playoff mean a need for around 50 discrete potential scheduling dates per team between late April and November in stadia that are usually shared with other tenants. That's a lot of soccer to squeeze in under those circumstances and that might help to explain the delay on the league schedule.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The CONCACAF League is definitely easier to participate in for logistical terms than the Champions League, but up to 10 CL games + up to 10 Voyageurs Cup games + 28 regular season games + however many games at the end do not constitute a playoff mean a need for around 50 discrete potential scheduling dates per team between late April and November in stadia that are usually shared with other tenants. That's a lot of soccer to squeeze in under those circumstances and that might help to explain the delay on the league schedule.

Slow down partner.. 

1) we’re talking one team (not per team)

2) there is no scenario where a team would play 50 games.  There are no playoffs and the chances of making it to the Voyageurs Cup and CL final in the same year are so remote it’s not even funny - that would be a great problem to have. 

The max games I can see a team realistically playing this year (at best) is 40. 

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Slow down partner.. 

1) we’re talking one team (not per team)...

...which presumably is still TBD, so they have to build the schedule with all seven potentially being that CL qualifier. It's not so much about any team actually playing 50 games when you are preparing a league schedule only that you have to prepare the schedule to accommodate the possibility that they might.

11 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

So excited for this competition. Love exposure to these different concacaf clubs. And getting the CPL young’ens exposure to the reality of playing in this region is never a bad thing...unless they have pee thrown at them. 

Especially if they have pee thrown at them.  

Get them prepared for the worst!

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Good point. The current max is 48 games. With a 26/27 week season minus international breaks, it simply doesn't fit unless you sometimes play three times per week, which is ridiculous. It would help if the Voyageurs Cup became a single game knockout tournament like the FA Cup.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't choose to knock USA4 and MEX4 into the CL, and then give the top-8 a CCL spot.

This would have basically setup pot 2 as all the teams qualifying out of CL. Although those 2 clubs would likely be at/near the top and still qualify every year, it would provide some stronger competition in the big mix. It would also have made it possible for some major upsets if USA4 were kept below the top-8 by a Costa Rica or Honduras. Would be a little more variety for CCL in the end.

Still, I generally like how they remapped this competition, although I do have some questions.

Will the preliminary round be a "permanent" fixture?

Will the same "spots" (ie CAN2) always be a part of the preliminary round, or will that be remapped to those who didn't advance beyond round of 16?

Edited by Rintaran