Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

Millar is probably more "in form" than Tabla, but to run you need space and I don't think FG will provide that (they'll be parking the bus) so I'd prefer a crafty dribbler over a speedy winger. Also, David will probably get the nod oer both (unless he starts as a number 10). 

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having some fun, trying to get as many of "our best players on the field" vs a team we SHOULD beat.

We will likely see 4 at the back anyways, but you never know.

Tbh, I would have a HUGE amount of confidence with this lineup getting us a result vs FG.

CMNTvsFG.png.c93d3c103fc25af8576b1630aacd6577.png.

3-5-2, or call it a whatever hybrid you like.

Details:

a) Piette in the true Destroyer role. Hutch has shown he can be offensive when asked, scored our only goal last game. With Piette backing up Hutch I have the utmost confidence. This allows one of our best players to push forward. For me, vs FG, I don't mind at all seeing Hutch push up the field, he can also drop back as a great outlet for Piette or the defenders.

b) I have MAK on the right side, has looked solid for LAFC as a RM, this also gives us a bit more defensive solidarity/security.  No issues if Herdman puts Tabla or Millar here, I personally was close to putting Millar here.

c) I have Kamal Miller over Cornelius, strictly based on early season in-game form, yes I know big step. For me, Miller has done his duties with Orlando, as a left footed CB in a 3 at the back formation. Cornelius has had a few sub par 45 min run outs.  Could very well be Cornelius and no issues if that happens. My sample size is small and I don't see training or what happens behind closed doors etc etc.

d) Hopefully rest of positions are self-explanatory :).

SUBS

1) I have Liam Millar as 1st sub off the bench. Has looked superb in this role in the SPL as a spark plug and injection of life to the squad. Would do the exact same here for us.  Sub him in for any one of the 5 midfielders, and rotate the mid accordingly so Millar is out wide.

2/3) Tabla or Larin

Defensive Coverage SUB

2/3)* If a defender looks shaky you have Cornelius, ZBG, Edgar, Adekugbe as insurance. You could also in game switch to a 4 at the back if you wanted.

I can't wait to watch the game, so much passion for me to see our CMNT do well. Best of luck to Herdman and the fellas.

4 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Having some fun, trying to get as many of "our best players on the field" vs a team we SHOULD beat.

We will likely see 4 at the back anyways, but you never know.

Tbh, I would have a HUGE amount of confidence with this lineup getting us a result vs FG.

CMNTvsFG.png.c93d3c103fc25af8576b1630aacd6577.png.

Actually like this set-up. Surely this team will beat French Guyana with 3 goals!

I personally would like to see a lineup that might also be used against the US or Honduras. I understand that we're top heavy with attacking talent and would work this Sunday but on the flip side i cant see us playing with 3 defenders against the betrer teams

------------------------------Cavallini--------------------

Hoilett---------------------David----------------Tabla

------------------------Hutch----Piette-----------------

Adekugbe-------Edgar----Henry------Godinho

----------------------------Borjan-----------------------------

Never a fan of Edgar being called but I don't think we should be starting a defender on his first cap or a defender low on confidence.  Edgar can also be a threat on set-pieces so I think he would be a good choice.  

Just now, Keegan said:

------------------------------Cavallini--------------------

Hoilett---------------------David----------------Tabla

------------------------Hutch----Piette-----------------

Adekugbe-------Edgar----Henry------Godinho

----------------------------Borjan-----------------------------

Never a fan of Edgar being called but I don't think we should be starting a defender on his first cap or a defender low on confidence.  Edgar can also be a threat on set-pieces so I think he would be a good choice.  

Agree with your Edgar comment. With 4 at the back, which I assume we do use, that is my back 4 as well.

Hopefully we get 1-2 friendlies before GC to give James, Miller & Cornelius a CB run out w the CMNT

My prediction for the starting XI:

Subs - 

Larin IN for Cavallini

Miller IN for David

Teibert IN for Kaye

———————————————————

Few thoughts: 

• From what I've heard Godihno can't play in turf as Hearts have been very careful with him to not get injured. ZBG will most likely start ahead of him and considering he's played in France 4th tier and the academy system which is where a lot of these players of FG are currently at or have gone through. In my view Marcus is our undisputed starting RB, considering his club form; Zachary has only made one appearance for #IMFC and that was a sub, 2019 so far 5m ?
  • We must Cap-tie and play Kamal Miller, first two games for Orlando City he has looked very strong and who knows from here until the Gold Cup he'll have 10 or more starts which in MLS which under that criteria makes him a top 4 CB for us. Very glad to see that he's emerged out of nowhere, hope it continues that way!
  • Herdman might want to start Cornelius and Teibert because they are playing at BC Place, so they're local as the whitecaps although it shouldn't be that way, MAK gets the start over Russell to see what he's made of at NT level and asses his play overall 
  • We could see Tabla, Piette as well involved should a different formation or selection occur 
  • Would be good to see Osorio in a CAM role with MAK/Teibert or Piette sliding back with Hutchinson on a 4-2-3-1. Plus Jonathan and Lucas have great chemistry 

image.jpeg

Some very good points Thomas, who knows what the deal is with Godinho playing on turf with our National Team, I'm inclined to think we'll error on the side of caution and not start him! With other formations I have Millar starting, he can be effectively used as a super sub for us as he has been in the SPL as well, most of us agree Henry will be a starting CB but there is lots of debate as to who will partner him, I would be fine with Miller beside him, could we possibly see a 3-5-2?

I have a feeling that Sam Adekugbe is going to impress if he starts at LB. Remember, he'll be fired up and with something to prove at BC Place. Could be the silver lining to the Davies disappointment.

Also, it might be a dramatic option, but why not Atiba at RB and leave Piette as the DM? I seem to recall a young and skinny Atiba breaking into the MNT at RB many moons ago; it might be a fitting place to finish off, a big contributor while easing the transition in the centre of the park.

4 hours ago, nolando said:

I have a feeling that Sam Adekugbe is going to impress if he starts at LB. Remember, he'll be fired up and with something to prove at BC Place. Could be the silver lining to the Davies disappointment.

Also, it might be a dramatic option, but why not Atiba at RB and leave Piette as the DM? I seem to recall a young and skinny Atiba breaking into the MNT at RB many moons ago; it might be a fitting place to finish off, a big contributor while easing the transition in the centre of the park.

Totally agree with the first part. He's seemingly doing really well in Norway and we haven't seen him play in a long time. Very excited.

I don't think Hutch plays RB with Godinho and ZBG there. Atiba would be a short term solution and we should be looking forward. With two possible mainstays they should be given as much time and evaluation as possible. 

42 minutes ago, king1010 said:

going by the Ticketmaster seating map, looks to be about 13 to 15K tickets sold. should be a half decent crowd given that we'll lose a fair amount of people who wouldve bought just to see davies

They'll be some pissed middle-of-the-road fans, I bet, as all of the previously-produced radio spots and print ads still feature him  prominently even today. They should be able to watch some decent footy at least.

15 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

The thing with the tickets sold on ticketmaster is that, I’m pretty sure, they only were selling tickets for half the lower bowl and not all of it as it would appear.

I took that into consideration in my 13 to 15K assumption. The top 10 rows or so aren't for sale save for special group rates. If the entire bowl was for sale, based on the whited out seats, there would have been over 20K sold which isn't the case. Probably only 21K tix in the lower bowl on sale with 70% of those sold. They're going with Whitecaps capacity of 21K versus full lower bowl capacity of 26.5K. 

I totally forgot about Godinho and turf. It will he interesting to see if he'll start.

Perhaps ZGB is more likely, which wouldn't bother me. He hasn't put a foot wrong for Canada. I trust him.

Also, I still peg him to win the starting RB spot at the Impact at some point, but we'll see.

Has anyone else seen Dylan Butler's projected 11 on mlssoccer.com?

----------------Cavallini-----------------

David---------Osorio-------Hoilett

-----------Piette----Kaye-------------

Tabla---------------------------Millar

----------Cornelius--Henry---------

------------------Borjan------------------

My initial reaction was to call BS. No Hutchinson was the red flag.

But then, I recalled that David has exclusively played on the wing for us, Millar played right wing back at the last home game, and Tabla shoehorned in at left wing back screams Davies replacement. I can hear Herdman's "we want the best players on the field" comment ringing in my head.

So, as much as I WANT that line up to be BS, Herdman might just be crazy enough to do it!

Let's see....

Archived