FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

25 minutes ago, yothat said:

Do any of these guys fill the remaining roster spots? 
Shamit Shome  
Amir Hallic 
Mallan Roberts 
Aymar Sigue (NCAA Draft Year)   

Noah Cunnigham and still need a third goalie .... Q.Roberts? John Smits? 

Not Roberts at least, he already signed with Tulsa Roughnecks for this season.

Does anyone know what Marko Aleksic has been doing this past year? I wouldn't mind seeing him back with FCE

Latest from FCE:

https://canpl.ca/article/four-trialists-one-spot-jeff-paulus-facing-tough-decision-at-fc-edmonton

...And, Paulus said the team has an agreement in place to bring a Canadian defender over from Europe in July, so there’s another spot that’s spoken for.

“He’ll be a key player for us,” Paulus hinted.

In camp this week are Canadian defender Jackson Farmer, the Edmonton native who has been in the Whitecaps system and Foothills FC. So is Jordan Haynes, another alumnus of both Foothills and the ‘Caps. The two foreigners are: Greek fullback Giannis Charontakis, who was recently with the second team of French side Ajaccio; and French fullback Jerrold Nyemeck, who has played for Saint Etienne’s B side....

Amoebi now has PR, and Marcelin has visa issues.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Latest from FCE:

https://canpl.ca/article/four-trialists-one-spot-jeff-paulus-facing-tough-decision-at-fc-edmonton

...And, Paulus said the team has an agreement in place to bring a Canadian defender over from Europe in July, so there’s another spot that’s spoken for.

“He’ll be a key player for us,” Paulus hinted.

In camp this week are Canadian defender Jackson Farmer, the Edmonton native who has been in the Whitecaps system and Foothills FC. So is Jordan Haynes, another alumnus of both Foothills and the ‘Caps. The two foreigners are: Greek fullback Giannis Charontakis, who was recently with the second team of French side Ajaccio; and French fullback Jerrold Nyemeck, who has played for Saint Etienne’s B side....

Amoebi now has PR, Marcelin has visa issues (sounds like he may have some sort of criminal record)

Straith? 

It's a Canadian defender in Europe whose contract expires this summer and who would be a key player for Edmonton, so it basically has to be either Straith or Vitoria.

Obviously Straith seems more realistic, but he's still only 28 and doing well in Europe, while Vitoria is 32 and stuck in another period of uncertainty with Lechia. So while Vitoria might be a bigger surprise I feel like both are real possibilities, although obviously Straith's previous stint with FCE makes him seem more likely.

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I wonder why they are trialing foreign players if their foreign spots are maxed. I guess Ameobi will be Canadian soon?

Yah he legit just got his Canadian permanent resident status (corrected by BBTB*) so they have a spot open

Edited by Senorpopps

15 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's a Canadian defender in Europe whose contract expires this summer and who would be a key player for Edmonton, so it basically has to be either Straith or Vitoria.

Obviously Straith seems more realistic, but he's still only 28 and doing well in Europe, while Vitoria is 32 and stuck in another period of uncertainty with Lechia. So while Vitoria might be a bigger surprise I feel like both are real possibilities, although obviously Straith's previous stint with FCE makes him seem more likely.

I'd be pretty surprised if it was Vitoria over Straith. The fact that an agreement is already in place well in advance makes me lean heavily toward the player that they might have already had some existing contact with.

Vitoria is from Toronto and has been playing mostly in Europe for the his entire career.

What about Scott Kennedy who is a CB who is playing for Klagenfurt in the Austrian 2nd tier?  He was born and raised in Calgary.  I have no idea when his contract expires. He has built a career in Europe starting in the German 6th tier, so I guess it depends how badly a player wants to go back to Canada.

- John Dinkota is playing in the French 4th tier.

- There are a number of centre backs who are playing in the lower tiers in Germany and Sweden.

Edited by Toje

10 minutes ago, Toje said:

What about Scott Kennedy who is a CB who is playing for Klagenfurt in the Austrian 2nd tier?  He was born and raised in Calgary.  I have no idea when his contract expires. He has built a career in Europe starting in the German 6th tier, so I guess it depends how badly a player wants to go back to Canada.

- John Dinkota is playing in the French 4th tier.

- There are a number of centre backs who are playing in the lower tiers in Germany and Sweden.

I think Kennedy could be a possibility but Paulus said "He'll be a key player for us" so I'm not sure if some of lower level guys fit that description.