FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

We will see how it all goes I guess. It can be risky, I agree. But that is why they brought in a guy like Lars as coach. He will be the “veteran presence” even though he can’t play. In a salary cap league, with only 7 internationals allowed, I am perfectly fine with taking a slight risk on these guys. 

This isn’t like they don’t have any experience. These are guys who have played a lot of games at a high level. If they aren’t quite pro quality the first year, the will be awfully close. Jeff Paulus knows what he is getting in these keepers much more than any of us do.

There are plenty of MLS keepers who are clearly below the average level of the league, and of the players around them: you consistently see them sign scrub between the posts, and then teams just work their way around it, or through it, or whatever. 

It seems to be a standard roster sacrifice in North America, and I don't know why, since play is sloppier and looser they actually end up having a lot of work.

15 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

We will see how it all goes I guess. It can be risky, I agree. But that is why they brought in a guy like Lars as coach. He will be the “veteran presence” even though he can’t play. In a salary cap league, with only 7 internationals allowed, I am perfectly fine with taking a slight risk on these guys. 

This isn’t like they don’t have any experience. These are guys who have played a lot of games at a high level. If they aren’t quite pro quality the first year, the will be awfully close. Jeff Paulus knows what he is getting in these keepers much more than any of us do.

And they have shown to have a fairly good eye on goalkeepers before with Oekel, Smits and Farago for instance. 

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are plenty of MLS keepers who are clearly below the average level of the league, and of the players around them: you consistently see them sign scrub between the posts, and then teams just work their way around it, or through it, or whatever. 

It seems to be a standard roster sacrifice in North America, and I don't know why, since play is sloppier and looser they actually end up having a lot of work.

I’m not necessarily talking just about keepers. Goal Keeper is an important position. I would have been fine with signing 2 college and PDL standouts at striker too. I have different priorities than lots of people I guess.

45 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I’m not necessarily talking just about keepers. Goal Keeper is an important position. I would have been fine with signing 2 college and PDL standouts at striker too. I have different priorities than lots of people I guess.

You have to mix it up, I think. Experience is important, journeymen can do a lot for a young team. All young guys could be frustrating because you are learning on the job and results may come hard, especially at the start. I don't see why FC Edmonton has to be a development squad as a priority, for me it's always better to put together a roster to win, and then develop as a consequence of that.

The advantage of those two keepers, from what I see, is that they know they are competing, not one is clearly ahead of the other, and they know the coach will change if one does not respond well. So they'll grow together, and beside a top-notch pro with real knowledge. No one doubts that Lars will have a huge impact on the entire team from that post.

7 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a personal opinion. Personally, I would like more a experienced player in goal (though an experienced centre back could organize and protect an inexperienced keeper). Maybe these guys have shown they are supremely talented though. I don’t claim to know anything about them, nor do I pretend to know more than the coaches at the club. As I’ve said, it’s just my view that this currently appears a bit risky. 

4 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a personal opinion. Personally, I would like more a experienced player in goal (though an experienced centre back could organize and protect an inexperienced keeper). Maybe these guys have shown they are supremely talented though. I don’t claim to know anything about them, nor do I pretend to know more than the coaches at the club. As I’ve said, it’s just my view that this currently appears a bit risky. 

I got to see Powley play for Foothills and I thought he was very good. I thought he was potentially the most pro-quality player on the pitch the day I saw him. 

However, against PDL teams he might look good but then not as much against pro teams. Time will tell, but I found his game to be reasonably impressive.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

My guesses are Kareem Moses (Trinidad) and Tomi Ameobi (UK). No clue for Spain or Belgium, but going to take a shot in the dark and say Gershon Koffie for Ghana

Carlyle Mitchell is also available I believe, but Moses definitely makes the most sense.

I know Pape Diakite spent a good part of his early career in Belgium, but I doubt he has citizenship there. Abraham Dukuly is born in Ghana, but that seems like a bit of a stretch too.

Otherwise I can't find any Belgian, Ghanaian or Spanish players who have played for FC Edmonton, so I'm guessing only two or three of the new signings are part of the "reunion".

Just now, Big_M said:

The Gershon Koffie who was on 120k US in 2017 with 21 mls starts..

The Gershon Koffie who also had Canadian Residency yes. Like I said it was a shot in the dark, but anyway, I am most likely wrong as apparently he is playing for a club in Kuwait. I was just going off his Wiki which wasn't updated

5 minutes ago, Zem said:

Carlyle Mitchell is also available I believe, but Moses definitely makes the most sense.

I know Pape Diakite spent a good part of his early career in Belgium, but I doubt he has citizenship there. Abraham Dukuly is born in Ghana, but that seems like a bit of a stretch too.

Otherwise I can't find any Belgian, Ghanaian or Spanish players who have played for FC Edmonton, so I'm guessing only two or three of the new signings are part of the "reunion".

Dukuly actually makes more sense than Koffie. You are probably right

12 hours ago, badname22 said:

I think Spain may be Ramón Soria. He spent time in Canada with the Fury and has a lot of NASL experience.

Good find, I had no idea of this guy. Is an experienced CB,  recently played for Formentera who are third tier and had a good cup run a few years back, taking out At Bilbao.

Transfermarkt says he is unattached at the moment.

He is from Alicante, so is Valencian (that was very sharp of them to identify paella with Valencia as it is quite accurate in fact, there is a rice production area just south of the city and Valencian paella is the most popular, with vegetables, meat and seafood thrown in).

The Spanish guy's former club appear to actually be in the fourth tier Tercera division rather than the third tier Segunda B this season, for what it's worth. SD Formentera averaged around 962 a game while in the third tier as a newly promoted club, so the grass is probably greener on the Alberta side of the fence for him in financial terms.

The guy from Belgium's former club is in the third amateur division, which is actually the fifth tier there overall. Given things are regionalised after the third tier that's a long way down the pecking order. Have they really only watched him on video?

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Spanish guy's former club appear to actually be in the fourth tier Tercera division rather than the third tier Segunda B this season, for what it's worth. SD Formentera averaged around 962 a game while in the third tier as a newly promoted club, so the grass is probably greener on the Alberta side of the fence for him in financial terms.

Nice try but keep begging the question. 

Formentera is now in 4th tier but he played for them last season, in 2B, third tier. Signed in January. 2b is fully pro in Spain. Just over a year ago they were playing a round of 16 Spanish Cup tie vs. Alavés. They only relegated directly for one point difference. 

Impact signed Piette from the same level of Spanish professional football, now go check the Izarra attendances since you love deluding yourself into thinking it has anything at all to do with the subject of professional football. 

Quite happy with the players signed today. A lot of FC Edmonton players will surprise people. I have watched 4 of the 5 players, Soria in particular was one of the best defenders in the NASL. The one player I don’t know has been brought in on the recommendation of Pape who was quite the player himself. I am happy the CPL is going for players who have likely been undervalued. That’s the most efficient way to run a club.

Ameobi was great and never got the support he needed in the NASL with Colin Miller as manager. He opens up a world of space for the midfielders with his runs. Not a great finisher, but a very good player.