FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

Ansem

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Keegan said:

May as well sign Lars up as #1?  

Edmonton is looking weak and I think Paulus is a little naive.  Though with the amount of Canadian content I’ll happily eat my words. 

I was thinking something along those lines myself. Hopefully these guys will show there really is a lot of untapped talent in Canada and that it has just needed an opportunity to take the next step up.

I love it when people talk about this league giving chances to young talented players. Then start talking about how the managers are naive when they actually practice what they preach. It's about time that we have a manager who puts his money where his mouth is.

FC Edmonton is about development, and I think Paulus has his priorities straight. Hire a good goal keeping coach and develop a set of strong prospects. FC Edmonton may not win the league year after year, but you can bet they will kickstart a ton of careers.

19 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I love it when people talk about this league giving chances to young talented players. Then start talking about how the managers are naive when they actually practice what they preach. It's about time that we have a manager who puts his money where his mouth is.

FC Edmonton is about development, and I think Paulus has his priorities straight. Hire a good goal keeping coach and develop a set of strong prospects. FC Edmonton may not win the league year after year, but you can bet they will kickstart a ton of careers.

Sure, it’s great on one hand but on the other if the league is nothing but first time pros need to be balanced with at least some pro experience. I.e. one rookie striker with a guy like Haber.  

Two keepers without a single pro game.. now I don’t know them exactly but if you look around teams are picking up guys with at least a few games or experience in a pro setup.  Go for one or two fresh pros if you like but at least have a veteran in front of them.  Like if Lars was keeper and those other two were behind him I think that would be decent. We can list about a dozen out of contract Canadian keepers with pro experience. 

Sounds about what I was thinking, Keegan. It could be great and both could end up having long successful careers, but it is a bit of a gamble to go with two keepers who have zero pro minutes (to my knowledge anyway) when, as Keegan has said, there are a number of out of contract keepers of more known quality. 

All of the teams are hopefully going to kickstart many careers. A big reason why I have purchased a season ticket is because I want Canadians getting more opportunities. However that doesn’t mean the quality of decisions can’t be discussed and/or questioned. 

How is this Edmonton squad shaping up in comparison to the NASL side? I'm pretty confident it will be stronger or at least we would hope it would be. Will be an interesting comparison once the squad finally comes together. 

Lars is such a great pick up for coaching. He wasnt playing that long ago either was he?

It's possible the money saved on these keepers could be spent elsewhere in the squad too? Definitely hedging some bets here but also maybe playing the long game. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

...We can list about a dozen out of contract Canadian keepers with pro experience. 

Maybe there's a performance related reason why some of them are out of contract and didn't have their options picked up and maybe some of them want too much money? The only reason this team came back was because there is supposed to be a different economic model involved that is sustainable this time.

33 minutes ago, shamrock said:

What's the problem? As long as they pick a #1 goalkeeper with experience, having two young back-ups is just fine. 

I think people are assuming that the club aren't planning to bring in another keeper, which jives with the low-cost and youth message being broadcast by Edmonton.

It turns out that one of the goalkeepers signed, Dylon Powley, played overseas last year:

https://the11.ca/fce-unveils-goalkeeping-contingent/

The team will have FCE Academy and University of Alberta product Connor James and MacEwan University grad and former FC Gute keeper Dylon Powley vying to be the team’s No. 1 keeper when the season opens in April.

https://canadafootynews.com/index.php/2018/10/10/dylon-powley-from-edmonton-to-gotland/

Some Career Highlights:

MacEwan starter in 2015, most saves in Conference both season with the Griffins, 2016 Foothills Rookie of the year, 2016 Foothills Fan Choice Award, 2016 PDL All Conference Playoff Goalkeeper of the Year, 2018 Goalkeeper of the year nomination in Gotland, Sweden

He would eventually make the trip to Sweden on trial at FC Gute in the Swedish Division 2 (same club Calgarian Tyrin Hutchings went to in 2016), and after a successful showing he would sign his first professional contract and would jump right into the thick of things. In his debut season, Dylon would go on to play 19 games in all competitions, collecting 7 clean sheets in the process and also hold a clean sheet for 5 consecutive games.

Looks like nobody updates their wikipedia page regularly, which is probably why this flew under the radar to a certain extent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Gute

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-gute/startseite/verein/31404

3 hours ago, nolando said:

I think people are assuming that the club aren't planning to bring in another keeper, which jives with the low-cost and youth message being broadcast by Edmonton.

That IS a bit risky. Even though they look to be very promising (having reached the PDL finals in 2016 for instance isn't too shabby), what do you do when one starts to screw up, take your chance with the other, probably lesser of the two? Could just as well be fine though. 

We will see how it all goes I guess. It can be risky, I agree. But that is why they brought in a guy like Lars as coach. He will be the “veteran presence” even though he can’t play. In a salary cap league, with only 7 internationals allowed, I am perfectly fine with taking a slight risk on these guys. 

This isn’t like they don’t have any experience. These are guys who have played a lot of games at a high level. If they aren’t quite pro quality the first year, the will be awfully close. Jeff Paulus knows what he is getting in these keepers much more than any of us do.

Archived