FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

FC Edmonton has also had some pre-season tours in Scotland and England, however judging by the teams that they had played and their rosters at the time, unsure if it would be one of them, unless it is a more obscure name that I don't recognize

Except he said the player has been playing in the MLS in their prime and with multiple teams (east and west) .. so it wouldn't be an obscure british player. I am surprised we haven't been able to figure it out :S

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Except he said the player has been playing in the MLS in their prime and with multiple teams (east and west) .. so it wouldn't be an obscure british player. I am surprised we haven't been able to figure it out :S

I moreso meant it could have been a players that played on one of the teams across the pond before coming over and playing in MLS as they played a bunch of reserve teams when they were over there. Could have also made it possible that the player would have scored against Liverpool in FA Cup

Jeff_Paulus @jeff_paulus · 15m This is a tough one so how about a bit of help. What if the line about scoring against the Reds best didn't mean the team itself but rather a player on that team?

Scored against the Galaxy with Gerrard playing?

Edited by toontownman
Aaron Maund?

On 2/8/2019 at 2:43 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They are chasing the league title this year, which they have never won and Albert Watson would have played for their manager previously when he was at Linfield, so not too surprising. Daryl Fordyce had a trial with Linfield last month as well as the Ballymena tryout mentioned in the article, so looks like he will probably be playing for somebody in Northern Ireland soon as well.

Fordyce recently signed with Sligo Rovers in the Republic.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Jeff_Paulus @jeff_paulus · 15m This is a tough one so how about a bit of help. What if the line about scoring against the Reds best didn't mean the team itself but rather a player on that team?

Scored against the Galaxy with Gerrard playing?

I've had some fun scouring the internet for clues to this one. Nothing conclusive but my first guess is Lamar Neagle, and my second would be Kevin Ellis. 

Few other possible options (depending on how we interpret it) I concluded were Quincy Amarikwa, Mo Babouli or Sean Okoli

hint for a second player. Mr. Tobo seems like Patrick Tobo who is Paulus' friend who formerly coached the U17's, and is from Cameroon. This player also played in Canada before. From the three listed American locations 2 would be in California (unless he's talking Disney in Orlando) and one in New Mexico

A

So I think I've figured this one out, although it assumes that Paulus made a mistake and forgot that the Copa America Centenario was played in the US. The player would be Haitian international James Marcelin, because he scored against Alisson in a 7-1 loss where Countinho scored a hat-trick, and he has played all over the US from Portland to Fort Lauderdale.

1 minute ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I believe it is James Marcelin who scored on Alisson in the Copa America for Hati. He played for FC Dallas and Portland in MLS, as well as North Carolina FC and Fort Lauterdale in the NASL. He would have played against FC Edmonton but may not have played against them in Canada.

You beat me to it!

3 minutes ago, Zem said:

So I think I've figured this one out, although it assumes that Paulus made a mistake and forgot that the Copa America Centenario was played in the US. The player would be Haitian international James Marcelin, because he scored against Alisson in a 7-1 loss where Countinho scored a hat-trick, and he has played all over the US from Portland to Fort Lauderdale.

I don't think it's a mistake. He just said that it was before Trump was in power. Donald Trump didn't get elected until much later. 

9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Also, the only player who fits the bill that I found in a Cameroonian player who has played only in SW US is Jeannot Esua. 22 year old played for Orange County SC in 2017. 

I don't think Esua played in Canada though! I've been thinking that the three USA locations may be three different teams. One location is right near Albuquerque, so I've been thinking that they either played USL PDL with the Albuquerque Sol or at New Mexico State.

13 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I don't think Esua played in Canada though! I've been thinking that the three USA locations may be three different teams. One location is right near Albuquerque, so I've been thinking that they either played USL PDL with the Albuquerque Sol or at New Mexico State.

I'm far from convinced that it's him, but he's the only name that I found who fits somehow.

Edited by Blackdude

32 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

He never said they played in Canada, he said “this land” which I took to mean the North American pyramid.  

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think it's a mistake. He just said that it was before Trump was in power. Donald Trump didn't get elected until much later. 

Well he didn’t say that but maybe he meant to say that? Marcelin seems to make most sense. 

FC Edmonton is pleased to announce the club has signed international midfielder James Marcelin and international fullback Jeannot Esua to contracts, as the Eddies continue to build their roster ahead of the inaugural Canadian Premier League season. Both signings are pending International Transfer Certificate approval.

Marcelin, 32, has played the entirety of his professional career in North America and the Caribbean, including 39 appearances with Portland Timbers and FC Dallas of Major League Soccer.

Marcelin also has 33 caps for Haiti, scoring five goals, including one against Brazil at the 2016 Copa America – the team’s first ever goal against the South American giants.

Esua, 22, developed in the Rainbow FC Academy in Cameroon, before signing his first professional contract with Orange County SC of the United Soccer League in 2017. Esua made 12 appearances in all competitions with OCSC, scoring one goal. He returned to Cameroon for the 2018 season.

Edited by Ansem