FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

Surprised that Winger Abraham Dukuly who a first team contract in 2017 under Colin Miller. Even got a couple appearances.  He's now  playing with the u-20 academy Fced.

Does anyone know anything further? Or why he didn't look move abroad or look to join a different cpl club? Has he regressed in that gap year?

2 hours ago, yothat said:

Surprised that Winger Abraham Dukuly who a first team contract in 2017 under Colin Miller. Even got a couple appearances.  He's now  playing with the u-20 academy Fced.

Does anyone know anything further? Or why he didn't look move abroad or look to join a different cpl club? Has he regressed in that gap year?

I believe Dukuly is only 18 or 19 right now. He was signed quite young previously. This last year he played at NAIT along side David Doe. Nait won the ACAC and finished 4th at nationals. Still an extremely talented player, but with only so many attacking positions open I think he just lost out to a couple of younger talents in Tsegaye and Amanda. 

I know Paulus really values speed, strength, and Technicality in his wingers. Amanda and Tsegaye really fit that system. I personally see Dukuly more as an AM even though he hasn’t played there often. He is very technical and a very good dribbler, but smaller and not as athletic. Probably the most “tricky” in a one on one situation, but could really struggle to beat out a strong pro fullback. Needs to work on his passing, and his work ethic and determination aren’t as high as Doe, Tsegaye, and Amanda. I would compare Dukuly more to Tabla as a player, very similar mentally and in style. On the other hand, Amanda is more like Millar, and Tsegaye is similar to Akindele.

I think Dukuly is a little unlucky to miss out, but I don’t think his chance is gone. I think we will see more of him in the next couple years at least. I am not sure what the league’s position is on bringing academy players up for a couple games, but if it allowed I am sure we will see Dukuly on the bench this year.

i’m not an insider by any means, but judging by what Paulus has said about the other players, it seems they surprised his in the last year and kinda pushed Dukuly a bit down in the pecking order. He will be back soon I’m sure.

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

“We’ve got a very big player coming in,” Paulus teased. “It’s a done deal. It’s a massive signing for the club. He’s a top player.”

The unnamed central defender will arrive in Edmonton on Wednesday, according to Paulus.

“He just adds this massive, physical presence. He would have been the biggest player on the field today.”

Doesn't sound like anyone Canadian we don't have anyone that "would have been the biggest player on the pitch" but if we did they aren't a marquee player Paulus is hinting at "It’s a massive signing for the club. He’s a top player.”

They have one international roster spot left right? I expect thats where it is going, will have to wait until Wednesday to see who.

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He only signed with St Antonio in December, so it looks like both parties were happy to part ways after he fell out of favour there in team selection terms.

I don't think San Antonio was happy to let him go. They need solid back-ups as wells starters. But if a player is unhappy and wants to buy-out, the club will listen.