York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I'll have more on tonight's pub night in Richmond Hill tomorrow but there is now a new offer...."Non SSH can go to the Hamilton inaugural game with bus ride and ticket for $50.00".

Also the travelling fans are expected to be 1200 to 1500 (two weeks ago when the offer was made with the new sponsor, 1000 was the expected amount).

I assume sales are going well? Or do they expect this new deal to pull an extra 200-500? 

Thats sort of an unfathomable number for a first ever match away.  Has to be a world football record if true. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I'll have more on tonight's pub night in Richmond Hill tomorrow but there is now a new offer...."Non SSH can go to the Hamilton inaugural game with bus ride and ticket for $50.00".

Also the travelling fans are expected to be 1200 to 1500 (two weeks ago when the offer was made with the new sponsor, 1000 was the expected amount).

Don't tell BBTB. It might devastate his world view to learn that his iron clad belief that the previously mooted number of 1000 travelling fans meant that York's ST numbers were dismal and the league was destined for semi-pro ignominy in perpetuity.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

I assume sales are going well? Or do they expect this new deal to pull an extra 200-500? 

Thats sort of an unfathomable number for a first ever match away.  Has to be a world football record if true. 

Have they actually contacted fans about this deal?  Because I haven't heard anything about how to get the tickets.

Details of the February 13th York 9 FC pub night in Richmond Hill.  

I've got over 30 minutes of sound files.   

MC Kurt Larson onstage talks to head coach Jim Brennan, players Joseph Di Chiara and Daniel Gogarty, and team president Preben Ganzhorn.  I then have a short interview with Gogarty.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york058.htm

19 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

MC Kurt Larson onstage talks to head coach Jim Brennan, players Joseph Di Chiara and Daniel Gogarty, and team president Preben Ganzhorn.  I then have a short interview with Gogarty.  

My favourite part is when Jimmy tells the crowd about Di Chiara's car getting stuck and he made his girlfriend push.

38 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Any idea who the 3 municipalities are that they are in "advanced discussions" with regards to the stadium?

Richmond Hill was mentioned.  I would assume the others are Vaughan and Markham?

46 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Thanks Robin,

I wanted to go last night but couldn't make it - listening to those files now.

43 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

1. It's good to see the quality of signings increase(Petrasso, Fisk, Buscher) as of late rather than decrease as the signings continued. Yes, it's only been a few above average signings, but it looks like our league is getting stronger.

Petrasso?

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Still trying to figure out which lb we signed from blainville. The blainville twitter says it's not le nour or sylla

On 2/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, Keegan said:

To find a similar scenario you need two teams in the same megalopolis type area playing a local derby in a newly starting soccer league. When the J League started up in 1993 there were almost 60,000 at the National Stadium in Tokyo for Verdy Kawasaki vs Yokohama Marinos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_J.League

That's comparable in geography terms to having Mississauga and Oakville teams playing at BMO Field, so there were probably a lot of Yokohama Marinos fans there. You can get pedantic about whether a previous history as Nissan Motors as a JFL team is relevant, but it shows what is possible.

The Tokyo metropolitan area - Kanto - has a total population which is greater than Canada's entire population, so not entirely a fair comparison. For those unfamiliar, Tokyo and Yokohama are officially the two most populous cities in Japan, with Kawasaki also in the top 10. Effectively, they are all constituent parts of a single metropolis, known to the outside world simply as Tokyo.

Suffice it to say, if Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver were close enough together that traveling fans could drive (or better yet, use a super efficient commuter rail system) to away games after work for a mid-week match, attendances for all clubs would be significantly higher.

11 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’ve always liked Gasparotto, and I’ve always felt that he could turn out to be a good player for the CMNT. I’m pleasantly surprised by this signing. 

Maybe he'll be the first CanPL player to earn his first NT cap. He's been in a few camps before and CB is not a spot we are deep in.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:52 AM, SthMelbRed said:

The Tokyo metropolitan area - Kanto - has a total population which is greater than Canada's entire population, so not entirely a fair comparison.

Well, it is fair in the context. If someone says "that must be a record!" and then someone else says "Well actually, this happened, so it's not a record", that is entirely fair.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:52 AM, SthMelbRed said:

The Tokyo metropolitan area - Kanto - has a total population which is greater than Canada's entire population, so not entirely a fair comparison. For those unfamiliar, Tokyo and Yokohama are officially the two most populous cities in Japan, with Kawasaki also in the top 10. Effectively, they are all constituent parts of a single metropolis, known to the outside world simply as Tokyo.

Suffice it to say, if Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver were close enough together that traveling fans could drive (or better yet, use a super efficient commuter rail system) to away games after work for a mid-week match, attendances for all clubs would be significantly higher.

You made a very good point.  Not only is the rail system extremely efficient, but you can also go from different places in Yokohama (through Kawasaki) to various points in Tokyo.  For example, as you said, if Toronto bordered Vancouver on one side, and Montréal bordered Vancouver on the other side, and you could get on a train that's never late from several different parts of Montréal and head straight for BMO.

NB:  Tokyo Metropolis (not technically a city) is Tokyo Prefecture.  The areas you mentioned are known as Greater Tokyo.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, Serie_AHH said:

Any idea who the 3 municipalities are that they are in "advanced discussions" with regards to the stadium?

Richmond Hill was mentioned.  I would assume the others are Vaughan and Markham?

When I talked to some Y9 guys late last year, those were the 3.

Archived