York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, Serie_AHH said:

Any idea who the 3 municipalities are that they are in "advanced discussions" with regards to the stadium?

Richmond Hill was mentioned.  I would assume the others are Vaughan and Markham?

That bothers me as I was sure last summer I marked on a map that Vaughan Azzurri were building 'North Maple Park Soccer Fields' on the southeast corner of Jane Street and Kirby Rd. (That project is much further along as I tweeted them if their L1O opener would be held there in a few months and the response was 'not sure yet'...giving me the idea that sometime this season they would be there).  Fields were being ready last year but washroom/dressing rooms were delayed because of something Tennis Canada (?!) had wanted.     

I'd also drawn in that York 9 were building on the south west corner of Keele Street and Kirby Road.  (maybe it was just a preferred site last summer).  

What caught me by surprise is they'd be adjoining properties.  Of course the Ontario Soccer Centre connects to the boundaries of Woodbridge Soccer Club so not unheard of.  

Ooh and isn't 'Kirby' the name of a controversial GO train station proposed last year?  Yep the railway tracks are just a block west of Keele Street on their way north to King City and Aurora stations.  Could therefore be a one line ride from Union Station in downtown Toronto!    

15 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

With a name like Emilio Estévez? And is that an actual FIFA sanctioned national team? 

it's an officially sanctioned team, they've played in World Cup/Asian Cuo Qualifiers - albeit under the name: Chinese Taipei (same as Olympics). Similar to how China allows Hong Kong and Macao to field our own national teams.

4 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

it's an officially sanctioned team, they've played in World Cup/Asian Cuo Qualifiers - albeit under the name: Chinese Taipei (same as Olympics). Similar to how China allows Hong Kong and Macao to field our own national teams.

Cool, I learned something today, thanks!

I'll should be able to post something tomorrow about tonight's pub night in Unionville.  Almost 35 minutes of sound files with head coach Brennan, assistant coach Isacco, president Ganzhorn, and players Morey Doner, Steven Furlano, and Manny Aparicio.  All unrushed and Kurt Larson free!  Then I have a 5 minute interview with Furlano.  

News is tomorrow they will announce who the AS Blainville player is.  Also Brennan said there are three imports signed now.  From Sweden and Japan we already know but a Colombian he didn't name.    

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

With a name like Emilio Estévez? And is that an actual FIFA sanctioned national team? 

Canada-based Tsai, 20, whose parents are from Taiwan, is eligible for the Taiwan national team and he was called up and trained with the squad last year.

York 9 have listed him in their squad as a Canadian.

In the past year, Tsai had a trial for La Liga side Levante UD while playing for North Mississauga SC, a team based in Toronto who play in League 1 Ontario.

He was previously with the Sheridan Bruins, the soccer team of Sheridan College in Ontario.

York 9 confirmed signing midfielder Tsai in a statement on Friday last week, along with defenders Morey Doner and Saint Kitts and Nevis international Justin Springer.

“He [Tsai] was a little hidden gem. Just watching him train now, we’re just excited at the potential he has … he plays with flair and always has a smile on his face. He’s one we’re all excited to work with and push him to the next level,” York 9 head coach Jimmy Brennan said.

Tsai was a standout performer in the Toronto #GotGame Open Trials and scouts called him a “crafty midfielder” who impressed with his technique on the ball, a club statement said.

Tsai could make his debut in the first-ever Canadian Premier League match when York 9 travel to take on Forge at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario, on April 27.

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Canada-based Tsai, 20, whose parents are from Taiwan, is eligible for the Taiwan national team and he was called up and trained with the squad last year.

York 9 have listed him in their squad as a Canadian.

In the past year, Tsai had a trial for La Liga side Levante UD while playing for North Mississauga SC, a team based in Toronto who play in League 1 Ontario.

He was previously with the Sheridan Bruins, the soccer team of Sheridan College in Ontario.

York 9 confirmed signing midfielder Tsai in a statement on Friday last week, along with defenders Morey Doner and Saint Kitts and Nevis international Justin Springer.

“He [Tsai] was a little hidden gem. Just watching him train now, we’re just excited at the potential he has … he plays with flair and always has a smile on his face. He’s one we’re all excited to work with and push him to the next level,” York 9 head coach Jimmy Brennan said.

Tsai was a standout performer in the Toronto #GotGame Open Trials and scouts called him a “crafty midfielder” who impressed with his technique on the ball, a club statement said.

Tsai could make his debut in the first-ever Canadian Premier League match when York 9 travel to take on Forge at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario, on April 27.

So, his name is also Tsai? I wonder how the name Emilio Estévez got into the equation. Back when I was in university, there was a young Chinese student who would sit and have coffee with me every day, to practice his English. He told me his birth name (which I couldn’t comprehend despite my best efforts) and then he said that he had chosen the name Porter. Do you think this is that sort of situation? Although Tsai seems like an easy enough name. 

9 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So, his name is also Tsai? I wonder how the name Emilio Estévez got into the equation. Back when I was in university, there was a young Chinese student who would sit and have coffee with me every day, to practice his English. He told me his birth name (which I couldn’t comprehend despite my best efforts) and then he said that he had chosen the name Porter. Do you think this is that sort of situation? Although Tsai seems like an easy enough name. 

His full name is Emilio Estevez Tsai, so I'm guessing his mother is Chinese and his father is Hispanic and he uses Hispanic naming conventions, i.e. given name, paternal surname, then maternal surname. And also in line with Spanish naming conventions, he normally just goes by his given name and paternal surname, but clearly the article wanted to emphasize his Chinese roots.

35 minutes of Sound files and pictures from the York 9 pub night in Unionville on Feb 18th.  This one has comments from coaches Brennan and Isacco, players Doner, Aparicio, and Furlano, and president Ganzhorn.  Then I have a 5 minute interview with Furlano.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york062.htm  

Spotted last night were two L1O/CPL combine trialists (held January 24th).    

4 hours ago, Serie_AHH said:

Thanks Robin.

Disappointing to hear that the first home game won't be until the V-Cup game.  At the same time hopefully you win that game against the semi-pro team and have your first game in front of your home fans as a win. 

I have an idea that the delay was a precaution for the stadium renovation.  I remember TFC started on the road in 2007 because of construction then again when they expanded from 18K to 30K.  DC United did it last year etc.  

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A great way to ensure victory over AS Blainville, sign their best players ;) 

Looks like a very promising signing. He's played at a good level, has got the right age and is a left footed player to boot. They won't be paying the biggest salary for him as well. Hope he can pull it off. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Looks like a very promising signing. He's played at a good level, has got the right age and is a left footed player to boot. They won't be paying the biggest salary for him as well. Hope he can pull it off. 

Abzi is a great CPL signing. Not as well known as some players who have come up through MLS academies, but has been dominant in the PLSQ. CPL is the perfect place for him to continue his development. Who knows, maybe a future CMNT call-up.

Almost identical to the lineup I had posted on the Y9 reddit almost 2 weeks ago (before the Abzi signing).

I do like Cox up top, where I had Ricci (I would change my original to that having watched some clips of what Cox brings).  I swapped Murofushi and Aparicio as well but I think I will stick with mine there.

(my lineup before)

--------------------------------Adjei-----------------------------

Ricci------------------------Aparicio-----------------Porter

----------------Murofushi----------Di Chiara--------------

Furlano?------Thompson----Gasparotto-----Doner

--------------------------------Silva----------------------------

The way the roster has been built there is a lot of flexibility to the formations and tactical changes that can be made from match to match or in-game.  I could see a 3-5-2 being a go too formation as well. 

Archived