York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know how often you need to replace field turf in a CFL stadium, but hopefully Regina will fix this for CPL in the near future. I think it's 2 years old now. 

In conversation with officials with the Riders and with Evraz Place, they expect the turf life to be 10 years. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Latest article analyzing the CPL rosters calls York 9 “The Nine Stripes” multiple times.

I would've hoped for something a little less obviously derivative of Atlanta United's nickname.

Could be a green/black striped jersey, though.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

I would've hoped for something a little less obviously derivative of Atlanta United's nickname.

Could be a green/black striped jersey, though.

Atlanta United changed uniforms now they have nine stripes ironically.  

It’s a more fitting nickname for York9 anyway since it’s literally in their name.  Calling Atlanta “five stripes” was always dumb and it appears that management agrees as they are already moving away from it.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Atlanta United changed uniforms now they have nine stripes ironically.  

It’s a more fitting nickname for York9 anyway since it’s literally in their name.  Calling Atlanta “five stripes” was always dumb and it appears that management agrees as they are already moving away from it.

Atlanta is called The Five Stripes because of the logo, not the jersey. It's the same reason CPL editorial has come up with The Nine Stripes for York, although they seem to only be counting the green stripes since there are technically 18 stripes in the crest (yes, I counted ?).

As for ATL, they tweeted about the "5-stripes" yesterday, so I don't think they are moving away from the name. IIRC, it was a fan-driven nickname, so management would be stupid to ignore it.

https://canpl.ca/article/pre-season-where-everyone-stands-as-cpl-clubs-convene-for-training

The first of the "top three" players on the York 9 section of this article was "without club" since last summer.  

Talk of "Rangers the Scottish powerhouse" is disingenuous - the club was broke and needed North American kids whose parents were willing to fund their academy.

Springer - explosive dynamic and athletic with intelligence and vision.  The Guelph team was a joy to watch over the last few years.

Forge FC have signed a couple of great GK's. Brennan has to be in the market for a couple more.  

"Played in Europe" requires careful analysis.  The lower leagues in Scotland and Scandinavia are "full blooded" but they are slow and lack technical quality.

Watching with interest - fun summer ahead.  We have to start somewhere!

Caveat Emptor.............

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Rumors of Ryan Telfer to York 9 on a loan from TFC. 

Yup, I was completely wrong re: Daniels.

It's a shame, I like Daniels, but at the same time Telfer ranks a lot higher than Daniels and definitely higher than Hundal (though a player with great prospects) in the pecking order. If this becomes true, it seems like another shot across the bow at Ottawa

Just now, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Yup, I was completely wrong re: Daniels.

It's a shame, I like Daniels, but at the same time Telfer ranks a lot higher than Daniels and definitely higher than Hundal (though a player with great prospects) in the pecking order. If this becomes true, it seems like another shot across the bow at Ottawa

Daniels still has age on his side, and a  loan move could be good for him. He needs to be playing every week to continue developing. And if i'm being honest, I rate Daniels ahead of all 3. 

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

...It's a shame, I like Daniels, but at the same time Telfer ranks a lot higher than Daniels and definitely higher than Hundal (though a player with great prospects) in the pecking order. If this becomes true, it seems like another shot across the bow at Ottawa

...or because they rate him highly they want to keep him in TO so he can still train with TFC some of the time? York U is right next door to Downsview. York 9 may also have been more amenable about guaranteed playing time. There's lots of ways to spin it

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...or because they rate him highly they want to keep him in TO so he can still train with TFC some of the time? York U is right next door to Downsview. York 9 may also have been more amenable about guaranteed playing time. There's lots of ways to spin it

He's getting loaned to the fury though. 

3 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Daniels still has age on his side, and a  loan move could be good for him. He needs to be playing every week to continue developing. And if i'm being honest, I rate Daniels ahead of all 3. 

Oh don't get me wrong. I highly rate Daniels and think he'll be a very strong player given time.

That said, Telfer has already performed at the highest level. I mean his form dropped but he's less of an unknown quality. I think he'll be a top 10 player in CanPL

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Whatever the actual reason is, I am suggesting that the optics of having Telfer at a CanPL club versus Ottawa is a good one, that it would've been less impressive if it was the other way around (ie. Hundal and Daniels going to CanPL). In the end of the day Telfer is a proven quality having performed at the highest level, despite a dip in form.

Finally, if it's about playing team, I seriously cannot imagine Telfer not being a forsure starter at Ottawa. I mean he's very familar with USL and has also done very well at that level.

1 minute ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Oh don't get me wrong. I highly rate Daniels and think he'll be a very strong player given time.

That said, Telfer has already performed at the highest level. I mean his form dropped but he's less of an unknown quality. I think he'll be a top 10 player in CanPL

I should say ahead of both of them*.

But ya forsure, you know what you're going to get with Ryan, and his qualities could very well see him be a top 10 player across the league. Being loaned out at 25 should also be added motivation for him to come light the league up.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Another factor might be that they are much more likely to play against Ottawa in the V-Cup than York, so York gets what is currently the more experienced "game-ready" player.

Both loans are good news for everyone involved, including all players and all leagues involved. I'm aware that there are some folks in this part of the forum who are against MLS loaning players to CPL teams because both MLS and loans are evil and must be destroyed*, but I think this is a great sign that the Canadian clubs in different leagues are working together and collaboratively. There is a view that Canadians won't support CPL teams if they are seen to be developing players for MLS teams, but speaking as someone from one of the 9 municipalities that make up York 9, I do not believe that is the case in my neck of the woods - it's more likely to be the opposite, that the people (at least, of the very few in this area who are even aware that there is a York 9 team or a Canadian league) who might be interested in going might be more inclined to do so because they are watching either known commodities or prospects for the "big league" club. It's the same mentality that I see a lot of from the people who go to see Toronto Marlies games, either it's because it's a very cheap day activity for the family or its because they were interested in watching William Nylander, Andreas Johnson, Travis Dermott etc. play knowing that they were being groomed for the big club.

I realize that it could very well be extremely different in other urban centres, but York 9's situation is different from the other 6 since they are in the market/shadow of an MLS Club. When I go around promoting the CPL to soccer or general sports fans (none of whom have ever heard of the league until I tell them about it), the main source of confusion I receive is why it is that York 9 aren't TFC2 or why TFC2 aren't in this league since it is a league which is a self-proclaimed developmental league, launched with the expressed goal of developing Canadian players, coaches and officials.

*A slight exaggeration of the sentiment I've seen displayed on this board, but only a slight one.

Loans aren't bad of they work for both clubs. If TFC have a young CB who needs first team experience, and a CPL team wants that CB, make a deal.

Don't form affiliations and dump a pile of players who may or may not fit into a squad then expect they get preferred minutes. This type of situation only works one way. CPL clubs need to do what's best for them. 

Year   GP MIN G A Club LEA GP MIN G A   GP MIN G A
Telfer Ryan 2019           York 9 CanPL                  
Telfer 1994 2018           TFC MLS 15 812 1 2 VOYC 4 229 0 1
Telfer Canada 2018           TFC USL 9 670 0 2          
Telfer Midfield 2017           TFC USL 29 2113 1 4          
Telfer   2016           York U U-Sport 20 1080 7 4          
Telfer   2016           Vaughn L1O 5 337 1   Cup 1 2 0  
Telfer   2015           York U U-Sport 2 37 1 0          

Archived