York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the MLS roster rules: 

Transfers and Loans

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a non-MLS club (subject to the receiving club's applicable Federation's transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player. Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement.

Also: 

Off-Budget: Supplemental and Reserve Rosters

The salaries of players on the Supplemental Roster (slots 21-24) and Reserve Roster (slots 25-30) do not count toward a club's Salary Budget.

Supplemental Roster

Players occupying roster slots 21-24 do not count against the club's Salary Budget, and are referred to collectively as the club's Supplemental Roster. A club may have no more than four players on its Supplemental Roster, subject to the Season-Ending Injury Replacement, Disabled List, and Loan exceptions.

• Slots 21-24 may be filled with (i) Senior Minimum Salary Players ($70,250 in 2019), which may include Homegrown Players, (ii) Generation adidas Players, (iii) any specifically Designated Players eligible for the MLS SuperDraft; or (iv) Homegrown Players earning more than the Senior Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
  • All Generation adidas players are Supplemental Roster players until they graduate from the program.
  • All players on the Supplemental Roster must be paid a base salary that is at least the Senior Minimum Salary ($70,250).

Theres no way York is paying 56k usd to have Telfer no matter how good he is..the team that needed this before anything was Toronto to open a slot and have a place for Telfer to play regularly..so most likely they will keep paying most or even all the salary

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Theres no way York is paying 56k usd to have Telfer no matter how good he is..the team that needed this before anything was Toronto to open a slot and have a place for Telfer to play regularly..so most likely they will keep paying most or even all the salary

Absolutely. The $56K is a drop in the hat for TFC. Opening up the roster spot is what's important for them while getting a team where Ryan can get regular minutes. York is a good fit for him as a former York Lion, where he played for Carmen Isacco. 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

The CPL has so many more better things to do right now than release roster rules to the public. Not worth their time right now.

it would only take like 10 minutes to upload a pdf document or copy/paste something to webpage (assuming they actually have the rules written in a proper document).

2 hours ago, matty said:

it would only take like 10 minutes to upload a pdf document or copy/paste something to webpage (assuming they actually have the rules written in a proper document).

Because they want to release every piece of info to the public? It would need to be edited down. Not to mention it hurts their negotiations with players and agents. It is best not to release it yet. 

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-signs-canadian-goalkeeper-colm-vance

Um, okay. Callum Irving is available, Angelo Cavalluzzo is available but they go for this guy? York 9 easily has the worst GK duo in the league.

I remember Duane Rollins saying there were rumours about York's ability to ID talent and that they were in over their heads. They very well might be by the looks for this signing.

But we'll see. I'm expecting Forge to win the opener handily though based on some of these signings.

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

There has also seemed to been an uptick in the level of signings lately. Its possible that every time a new partner is announced eg. Volkswagen, MediaPro etc. the cap inches up a bit

It's also possible the teams just went super conservative initially building out the roster and now still have lots of cap space left with only a few players to go. We don't know the cap so it's hard to say. I'm sceptical the league would be altering the cap itself week to week. You'd think that would be set in stone once every year.

53 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Um, okay. Callum Irving is available, Angelo Cavalluzzo is available but they go for this guy? York 9 easily has the worst GK duo in the league.

I remember Duane Rollins saying there were rumours about York's ability to ID talent and that they were in over their heads. They very well might be by the looks for this signing.

But we'll see. I'm expecting Forge to win the opener handily though based on some of these signings.

Yeah. I am really unsure as to who their starter even is. I know next to nothing about Silva and it is pretty hard to get information on him and his game that he has played professionally, so I would think that Vance would be the starter. But Vance wasn't even the full-time starter for Vaughan Azzurri last year. There were 8 keepers that played for them in 2018 and 7 in 2017!

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Yea, this is a head scratcher. I'd rather go with cavalluzo, smits or from league 1: matt George or stillo. Vance isn't even the first name I think of for l1o. I have to trust isacco though as George and vance have played under him. 

49 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Yea, this is a head scratcher. I'd rather go with cavalluzo, smits or from league 1: matt George or stillo. Vance isn't even the first name I think of for l1o. I have to trust isacco though as George and vance have played under him. 

Did Cavalluzo recover from his major injury? That might be a reason

39 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Did Cavalluzo recover from his major injury? That might be a reason

The article at the time said that rehab from achilles injury could take up to a year....so might be out until May.  

What about Catalano?? Is he still at Uconn??  I still think Irving is signed and they are waiting to make it a splash announcement  closer to opening day.  We need some sharp eyes to see who is in goal at these training camps.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The article at the time said that rehab from achilles injury could take up to a year....so might be out until May.  

What about Catalano?? Is he still at Uconn??  I still think Irving is signed and they are waiting to make it a splash announcement  closer to opening day.  We need some sharp eyes to see who is in goal at these training camps.  

At this point though, every team seem to have a starting keeper (except maybe Pacific but they have two on the roster). Before Vance signed, I would've thought York, with Silva dropping to the bench, but I'd have to think Silva is the starter if Vance signed.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

At this point though, every team seem to have a starting keeper (except maybe Pacific but they have two on the roster). Before Vance signed, I would've thought York, with Silva dropping to the bench, but I'd have to think Silva is the starter if Vance signed.

I’m surprised Stillo wasn’t signed as one of the keepers, or even Chencinski. 

7 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Because they want to release every piece of info to the public? It would need to be edited down. Not to mention it hurts their negotiations with players and agents. It is best not to release it yet. 

i don't think they need to, they're a private organization, but the claim it would need to be edited down isn't overly true (a number of organizations do have similar doc public in full).

also it doesn't really hurt them at all otherwise a league like MLS wouldn't publish their roster rules.

6 hours ago, Vince193 said:

yea i said yesterday pacific might have the weakest duo excluding york (cause york had 1 guy) but no they don't

Archived