York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The Ryan Telfer signing/loan is very similar to the Mo Babouli where a guy with college exerpeince was signed to MLS deal after initially suiting up for the USL side and lasted a season. Now the difference is that the CPL exists now so there is a place to loan him to rather out releasing him.

22 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Full season loan eh. 

Wow. Question is, what will tfc do when it comes to the VC. Since they have offloaded a bunch of their Cancon. 

Aside from Osorio, Morgan, Chapman, Hamilton, Okello, Dunn, Fraser, etc., TFC also has a full TFC2 squad to call from.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the months and years ahead:

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-acquires-ryan-telfer-on-loan-from-toronto-fc

Brennan also affirmed that the cross-city connection between the two clubs would be fostered with this first MLS-to-CPL loan.

“Myself in particular, I have a good relationship with Toronto FC and the people upstairs,” Brennan said. “It’s the game of football – it’s about creating relationships and working with each other.

“This is an example where both of us are in each others’ backyards and this will be beneficial for us and for TFC.” said York9 President Preben Ganzhorn. “We’ve known Ryan for a long time and seen him developing and getting his games, but it’s an opportunity now for him to come to this side and get more games under his belt. We’re looking forward to it.”

I suspect York 9's mentality on this will be different from that of the Forge.

59 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

I assume nobody knows the answer to this, since CPL has even less transparency than MLS when it comes to salary rules clubs must abide by, but I'm now curious about how are loans factored-in with the salary cap?

The first part of your sentence is pretty much irrelevant, and I don't think true either. They haven't been transparant yet, but chances are high the rules are much more simple compared to MLS' and therefore more transparent. They just haven't released any info yet.

Anyway to the question: a loan deal is just a contract between two clubs, in which one will provide the player and the other a sum of money. This can be the same amount as his wage, but it can also be less or even more. Whatever York9 is paying TFC, will be the amount towards the Salary Cap. My guess is that it's a bit less than his actual wages. TFC don't want to make a few pennies on him, they just need a place for him to make minutes. 

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Assuming that's how it works, it would provide an incentive for more deals like this to happen as you probably get more bang for your buck that way where the salary cap is concerned, if the MLS team is picking up a significant portion of the salary.

Of course. And it's only a matter of time before we see more of these loans. 

If you see how many players are being developed by Montreal and TFC, one USL team isn't enough. 

47 minutes ago, shamrock said:

The first part of your sentence is pretty much irrelevant, and I don't think true either. They haven't been transparant yet, but chances are high the rules are much more simple compared to MLS' and therefore more transparent. They just haven't released any info yet.

Anyway to the question: a loan deal is just a contract between two clubs, in which one will provide the player and the other a sum of money. This can be the same amount as his wage, but it can also be less or even more. Whatever York9 is paying TFC, will be the amount towards the Salary Cap. My guess is that it's a bit less than his actual wages. TFC don't want to make a few pennies on him, they just need a place for him to make minutes. 

I think it's completely true.

In MLS, you can find out the salary cap, and the different types of contracts that can be signed to circumvent that cap. On top of that, the players' union publishes wages every season. It's painfully convoluted, but a lot of information is made available.

For CPL, literally the only two things we know is that there is a salary cap, and coaches have there own salary bucket. We don't know how much either of them are. We don't know the value of any of the contracts that have been signed. On your "chances are high the rules are much more simple", that might be the case, but my point is we just don't know. And that's irritating.

FWIW, I feel the same way about how the USL shares information, though we have a bit more information there through leaks of league documentation.

Was it relevant to the question? Probably not completely. But in a salary-cap league, I think it's the kind of thing that would be nice to know and how it impacts the league moving forward. Just like it would be nice to know how transfer fees, should there be some, are accounted, if at all, in the cap.

Yeah lets not forget it's the players Union that publishes the salaries (Lord knows why), not MLS. Which is not too odd, considering there's not a football league in the world which publishes it's players salaries. So that's not really transparent.

As for CanPL, you're right we don't know a lot.  We might never know the salaries of the players (who cares) but I'm sure we'll get info on the Cap itself and that sort of stuff. My bet is, seeing how completely deranged MLS roster-rules have become, rules in CPL will probably be a lot simpler. 

I really don’t pay much attention to transfer fees and wages in any sport, I’m just interested in what happens on the pitch or rink, the numbers are business, not sport! I do hope the CPL is successful enough to increase the cap gradually whatever that may be so players find the league a viable option to play in and the quality can increase!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Assuming that's how it works, it would provide an incentive for more deals like this to happen as you probably get more bang for your buck that way where the salary cap is concerned, if the MLS team is picking up a significant portion of the salary.

Question is the total salary knocked against the cap or just the part the CPL is picking up?

12 minutes ago, gator said:

I really don’t pay much attention to transfer fees and wages in any sport, I’m just interested in what happens on the pitch or rink, the numbers are business, not sport! 

I think it's the book Soccernomics which reports studies showing the correlation between wage spend and how a team does on the field, and transfer spend and how the team does. It reports that there is a high correlation between wage spend and table position, but much lower correlation between transfer spend and table position. This was looking at the EPL over quite a number of years. Now that's in a league without salary cap unlike CPL, but I note this if you happen to follow other (non-salary capped) leagues.

4 minutes ago, RickC said:

I think it's the book Soccernomics which reports studies showing the correlation between wage spend and how a team does on the field, and transfer spend and how the team does. It reports that there is a high correlation between wage spend and table position, but much lower correlation between transfer spend and table position. This was looking at the EPL over quite a number of years. Now that's in a league without salary cap unlike CPL, but I note this if you happen to follow other (non-salary capped) leagues.

So can you explain what happened to QPR in the EPL? ? One of the highest wage bills in the league yet stil got relegated!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

So can you explain what happened to QPR in the EPL?

I'll ask them Saturday when I see them welcome Stoke City! Glad you didn't mention Leeds. Seriously though, I've sought advice on attending matches in Barcelona (UT) and London (Greatest Cockney Ripoff and dsqpr) and have to say we're a great community. See how I've taken some of the credit.

6 minutes ago, RickC said:

I'll ask them Saturday when I see them welcome Stoke City! Glad you didn't mention Leeds. Seriously though, I've sought advice on attending matches in Barcelona (UT) and London (Greatest Cockney Ripoff and dsqpr) and have to say we're a great community. See how I've taken some of the credit.

I’ll be watching QPR-Stoke on PPV! Enjoy the match, Loftus Road is a great old stadium, no seats are far from the pitch!

3 hours ago, masster said:

The unions publish salaries as it puts upwards pressure on wages by providing verifiable comparables. 

And how did that pay out the first 10 years of the league? I understand the argument, but it still seems odd to publish your members salaries. I'm self-employed but I wouldn't be too happy with it. 

5 hours ago, Sébastien said:

I assume nobody knows the answer to this, since CPL has even less transparency than MLS when it comes to salary rules clubs must abide by, but I'm now curious about how are loans factored-in with the salary cap?

This Canadian Press article indicates that in the case of the TFC players being loaned from the senior team: " The loan moves remove both Daniels and Telfer from TFC’s roster and salary cap while away" . Which suggests (though not conclusively) that York 9 are picking up the entire tab for Telfer while he is with their team:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-loans-ryan-telfer-york-9-fc-three-others-ottawa-fury/

Archived