York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

It's a solid roster that deserved an experienced coach to bring it all together. I have serious doubts that Brennan can get the best of that great roster on paper.

I have more faith in the Wanderers than York 9. Coaching will be key in Year 1 and the ability of a manager to bring everything together as quickly as possible and get the best out of everyone. The edge goes to Stephen Hart in Halifax for me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The edge goes to Stephen Hart in Halifax for me.

Absolutely, will be such an interesting season on multiple levels. Hart doesn't have the best looking squad so far imo but he is savy and the most experienced coach in the league by a mile. He knows the players he is getting and how to both use and get the best out of them. 

Tony Gale will be solid for sure too. 

Likewise in Edmonton Paulus is playing the long game with lots of youth the he a) knows but can b) bring on over the next few seasons. Plus it's the Edmonton way to stock your team with so much young potential everyone will say 'next year or the year after they are going to be immense when all this talent blooms' repeatedly, every year. 

Who is going to be the pantomime villain coached everyone loves to hate?

53 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Absolutely, will be such an interesting season on multiple levels. Hart doesn't have the best looking squad so far imo but he is savy and the most experienced coach in the league by a mile. He knows the players he is getting and how to both use and get the best out of them. 

Tony Gale will be solid for sure too. 

Likewise in Edmonton Paulus is playing the long game with lots of youth the he a) knows but can b) bring on over the next few seasons. Plus it's the Edmonton way to stock your team with so much young potential everyone will say 'next year or the year after they are going to be immense when all this talent blooms' repeatedly, every year. 

Who is going to be the pantomime villain coached everyone loves to hate?

Rob ;) 

I'm sure all his friends call him Tony though. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

It's a solid roster that deserved an experienced coach to bring it all together. I have serious doubts that Brennan can get the best of that great roster on paper.

I have more faith in the Wanderers than York 9. Coaching will be key in Year 1 and the ability of a manager to bring everything together as quickly as possible and get the best out of everyone. The edge goes to Stephen Hart in Halifax for me.

Brennan's resume isn't as impressive as others in the league that is for sure but he has a great #2 beside him.  Carmine Isacco has proven time and again that he knows how to coach and he definitely had a hand in building the roster.   There is a vision here that is being fulfilled by the coaching staff

I don't really understand all the heat Brennan gets, people speak about him as though the highest level of experience he has in the game is watching a u10 house league game.  He played at a high level for a long time, has certification and some experience.  He's smart enough to put smart people around him and has never come across as an egotistical guy that is unwilling to listen to others opinion.  The league is about developing Canadian coaches just as much as it is players.  Brennan to me seems like a great candidate to me. 

So the CPL schedule is out.  Will only comment for now on the York 9 FC home games.  Their most popular game times are Saturday afternoons at 3:30pm.  

With the 400 pound gorilla downtown and all the flak about playing AWAY in Hamilton on a TFC home game I was looking for other conflicts.  

Wed June 26th has York 9 home against Cavalry at 7:00pm while TFC home against Atlanta is at 8:00pm.  

Wed July 17th has York 9 home against Pacific at 7:00pm while TFC home against NY Red Bulls at 8:00pm.  

Sat July 27th has York 9 home against HFX Wanderers at 1:00pm while TFC home against FC Cincinnati at 8:00pm.  (looks like they moved forward York's game a few hours too avoid conflict--remember you can take the subway from the York U or Pioneer Village direct to Union Station and then catch the Harbourfront streetcar to the gates of BMO Field).  

Sat Aug 10th has York 9 home against Valour FC at 1:00pm while TFC home against Orlando at 7:30pm.  (see game above).  

Sun Sept 15th has York 9 home against Valour FC at 3:30pm while TFC home against Colorado at 5:00pm.  With TFC spread all over the map on game starts maybe this game could have been bumped to 1:00pm but that would have been a rush to do a double even by subway.  

Finally Sun Oct 6th has TFC home against Columbus 4:00pm while York 9 is AWAY against Forge FC at 3:30pm.  Only mentioned for the fire storm of the inaugural game of opening weekend April 27th.  

17 hours ago, Serie_AHH said:

That's just because the reno's to York Lions don't have a firm completion date yet.  

Well if every game is played at Alumni Field because of the renovations to the other stadium on campus I hope they have a solution to the football lines at Alumni Field . To play a whole season or even the majority of your games on a field with football lines in this day and age is not a good look. One or two games on a field with football markings due to circumstances out of your control is understandable, but not a majority or a whole season of your games. The hardcore fans will understand but it’s the casuals you need to bring back to games and football markings are just not a good look especially if it’s for an entire season . Hopefully they have a solution to the football markings , maybe they can be taken off and on not permanent type of markings let’s hope.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Well if every game is played at Alumni Field because of the renovations to the other stadium on campus I hope they have a solution to the football lines at Alumni Field . To play a whole season or even the majority of your games on a field with football lines in this day and age is not a good look. One or two games on a field with football markings due to circumstances out of your control is understandable, but not a majority or a whole season of your games. The hardcore fans will understand but it’s the casuals you need to bring back to games and football markings are just not a good look especially if it’s for an entire season . Hopefully they have a solution to the football markings , maybe they can be taken off and on not permanent type of markings let’s hope.

You are correct, maybe my earlier post wasn't quite clear. 

I''m sure ownership has a construction schedule.  We all know construction plans are prone to delays whether by weeks or months.  Greenpark, the owners, would have a very good idea of this.  If you promise something and don't deliver fans have a right to upset.  At this stage in the game when ownership is trying to build credibility and trusting relationship with fans promising a date with the potential of not making good on it would do more harm than promising a date at this stage.  

As the excavators get rolling out and progress is being made ownership will give a date that they feel confident in making.  

The advantage of the Pan Am games athletics stadium is that it has grass rather than marked fieldturf. The problem with it is that the field is way too narrow for pro level soccer, which should have been obvious to all concerned long before any announcement was made that York 9 would play there. Have we had any official word through York University that renovations to remove the athletics track and widen the field are actually happening this year?

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The advantage of the Pan Am games athletics stadium is that it has grass rather than marked fieldturf. The problem with it is that the field is way too narrow for pro level soccer, which should have been obvious to all concerned long before any announcement was made that York 9 would play there. Have we had any official word through York University that renovations to remove the athletics track and widen the field are actually happening this year?

I didn’t realize the field was too narrow either and I guess nobody did until last year when at the last minute newly promoted Serie A team Frosinone on the day of their first exhibition game versus a League 1 Ontario team,  went to practise on the Pan Am stadium Field on the morning of their first game and saw that it was too narrow. The game that night was moved at the last minute to the OSA Center Field in Woodbridge. It looks like they have to extend the playing field over some of the running track so that may be what the delay is with playing at the Pan Am stadium is , hopefully they figure it out because done right that Pan Am stadium can be a nice little facility from the looks of it.

15 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I didn’t realize the field was too narrow either and I guess nobody did until last year....

I was posting about it regularly on here FWIW and providing links to satellite views from Google Maps that showed it was way too narrow. More importantly than that, there also had to be a reason why the York U U-Sports team that is coached by Carmine Isacco would be playing on marked fieldturf at Alumni Field when a grass field stadium was available close by. York 9 should have gone to the OSA Soccer Centre if watchable soccer was the main concern. The reason to be at York would have been the marketing boys being more concerned about easy subway access than anything else.

7 hours ago, 1996 said:

Have they mentioned removing them?

On 2/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, Gopherbashi said:
2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Have they mentioned removing them?

Pan am stadium is getting turf and a done for the winter so that York u athletes can use the facility throughout the year. It will also be the new home for both the soccer team and football team so they must be making the field wider. 

17 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...Have we had any official word through York University that renovations to remove the athletics track and widen the field are actually happening this year?

To answer my own question:

https://yorkulions.ca/news/2018/5/29/varsity-athletics-lions-stadium-to-be-converted-to-turf-field-with-dome.aspx

Varsity Athletics 5/29/2018 11:57:00 AM

York University will soon get a second turf field on its main Keele campus after the Board of Governors approved a proposal to convert the York Lions Stadium to a year-round, multi-use athletics and recreation facility...

..."We are excited to have the potential to expand our capacity to deliver more programs and services for our students," said Jennifer Myers, executive director of York Athletics & Recreation. "Board of Governors approval is the first step of many to completing this project. Next steps are underway and once a completion date has been established, it will be shared with all interested parties."

The new turf field will become the official home of the Lions varsity football and soccer teams, and the dome will create an additional 825 hours of indoor programming space during the winter. Use of the facility will include a diverse mix of varsity and campus recreation programs, intramurals, special university events, community activities and rentals to third parties...

The downside to this is no more grass obviously. It sounds like it will be marked fieldturf with permanent Canadian football lines and that there will still be an athletics track.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not confirmed yet, but looking probable. best they can probably do is something like the Cosmos Valencia game in Regina:

That’s ugly , that’s actually a nice stadium they built in Regina too bad they have permanent football lines . Moreover, York 9 need to find a solution for those football lines maybe they do and we just don’t know. But they can’t play an entire season with football lines as they are trying to establish themselves in their market not in this day and age . But then I may be wrong and maybe most people won’t care who knows .

53 minutes ago, 1996 said:

That’s ugly , that’s actually a nice stadium they built in Regina too bad they have permanent football lines . Moreover, York 9 need to find a solution for those football lines maybe they do and we just don’t know...

The obvious solution would be to build their own stadium in York region, which we have been told is part of their plans after a couple of season. Think the latest was that they have had talks about that with three different municipalities. My guess would be that they expected to be able to use the existing grass field at York Lions stadium in the interim until that gets renovated for use in U-Sports and for a winter dome by York U and never expected to be playing in a facility with marked fieldturf at any point.  If that's accurate somebody messed up big time, so we'll probably never get the straight goods about it.

Archived