York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

5 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I think Isacco has a big head start in that he's got possibly ten former Vaughan Azzurri players (either successful trialists, draft choices or actual signings) for York 9...numbers comparable to Bobby S at Sigma (now coaching CPL Forge FC) and possibly the Edmonton and Calgary teams signing their old rosters (although that's just what I've read).   Former Aurora players on York 9 are maybe three by now.  

Bob Gansler the former American National team coach?  I used to correspond with his son (also named Bob Gansler) well before TFC days who ran a fan page for the British band 'The Hollies' in the early days of the internet.  Bob Jr ended up getting married and disappeared.   I used to run a music trivia page too and my interaction with him is still up at http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/trivia/trivi110.htm

Do you know something we don't that you care to share Robin? 

I only count four former Vaughan players signed: Gogarty, Saleh, Ricci, Di Chiara. And one more draft pick: Zambaszi 

16 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I only count four former Vaughan players signed: Gogarty, Saleh, Ricci, Di Chiara. And one more draft pick: Zambaszi 

I also have Justin Springer who was on the Vaughan (2018) squad.  

Then 'successful' trialists (which doesn't mean they will sign or even be invited to the training camps).    

DeVante Walker (2018)  successful trialist in Toronto

Adrian Butters (2016)  successful trialist in Toronto  

Shiquan Lowe (2018) successful trialist in Winnipeg.  

That does leave me short. I may have counted Jace Kotsopoulos but I see he was drafted by Forge.  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've invited myself to another pub night tomorrow in Richmond Hill by printing a Snapd ticket.  

Did anyone go to their Newmarket one on Monday?   I've seen pictures but does anyone know what was said on the panel besides some child asking twice if they had signed Messi?     

4 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Then 'successful' trialists (which doesn't mean they will sign or even be invited to the training camps).    

That does leave me short. I may have counted Jace Kotsopoulos but I see he was drafted by Forge.  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've invited myself to another pub night tomorrow in Richmond Hill by printing a Snapd ticket.  

Did anyone go to their Newmarket one on Monday?   I've seen pictures but does anyone know what was said on the panel besides some child asking twice if they had signed Messi?     

Oh yes, completely forgot about Springer!

I look forward to hearing your synopsis of tomorrow's pub night!

On 2/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I don't think Zambazis is going to sign.  I think he's the kind of USports player that the CPL draft is intended to help.  Get him in a professional environment and give him a taste of the next level.  Unless he really shines in pre-season that the coaching staff think that he is going to get significant playing time I can't see him being offered a contract.  The most important thing for his development is playing time it is hard to see how he can get enough time with the midfielders already announced. 

Hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a can't miss player though. 

21 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I'm curious as to why you included "successful" trialists as Y9 players.  Do you have some inside info?  

9 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

I don't think Zambazis is going to sign.  I think he's the kind of USports player that the CPL draft is intended to help.  Get him in a professional environment and give him a taste of the next level.  Unless he really shines in pre-season that the coaching staff think that he is going to get significant playing time I can't see him being offered a contract.  The most important thing for his development is playing time it is hard to see how he can get enough time with the midfielders already announced. 

Hasn't Zambazis already played games in the Greek Super League? He's already had more than a taste of a level higher than CPL

15 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

Hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a can't miss player though. 

I'm curious as to why you included "successful" trialists as Y9 players.  Do you have some inside info?  

Well successful is relative.  If you were in the 200 on that first day and you were cut that wouldn't be successful.  If you were invited back the second day with the top 60 and got into the afternoon games and then were named to the 20-24 who made the final cut, that would be successful in my opinion.  Now originally that meant an invite to the training camp of a CPL club.

As the trials continued though, that proclamation was changed to you 'may be invited' to a CPL training camp.  CPL has grabbed and signed a few of the international trialists already.  I don't know if any of the locals were called back.  Will they be invited to be human pylons for training camps?  

I think the CPL combine of L1O invitational players held last month will have more successful placements.  

York9 FC‏ @York9FC 4h4 hours ago

The weather has gotten us again! Due to the freezing rain warning given by Environment Canada today, York9 FC has made the decision to postpone tonight's meet & greet event at Archibald’s Pub in Richmond Hill. Rescheduled date to come, we look forward to seeing you then! 

………………………..…………………………………………………….

Too bad as their success rate is only 50% so far.  Last Monday with a blinding snowfall.  Last Wednesday went OK in Woodbridge with -30C cold.  This Monday to make up for the cancelled Monday went well so I heard and now tonight's Richmond Hill event is off.  It's a snow that is like grainy sugar crystals and quite dangerous to drive through.  

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Well successful is relative.  If you were in the 200 on that first day and you were cut that wouldn't be successful.  If you were invited back the second day with the top 60 and got into the afternoon games and then were named to the 20-24 who made the final cut, that would be successful in my opinion.  Now originally that meant an invite to the training camp of a CPL club.

As the trials continued though, that proclamation was changed to you 'may be invited' to a CPL training camp.  CPL has grabbed and signed a few of the international trialists already.  I don't know if any of the locals were called back.  Will they be invited to be human pylons for training camps?  

I think the CPL combine of L1O invitational players held last month will have more successful placements.  

I am not sure where you saw or heard that. That was never communicated. Did you really think they were going to invite an additional 140 (20x7) players to training camps?

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Hasn't Zambazis already played games in the Greek Super League? He's already had more than a taste of a level higher than CPL

Yes but he was playing in Greece , so for some on these boards as I’ve stated many times it doesn’t count it only counts if you were playing in the lower leagues of England, Scotland , Germany and any of the lower leagues in any of the Scandinavian countries. This poor guy had the misfortune of playing  some good minutes in Greece’ s top league . So for some on these boards it’s like playing on Mars lol. So ya he apparently never experienced a professional environment lol, and he has never gotten a taste of the next level by playing and even starting in a fare share of games in Greece’s top league lol! Come to think of it this Zambazis kid,  if he plays in the CPL would be one of the players with the highest level of professional league playing experience lol. How many other players signed so far have played at a higher league than this kid? 

Edited by 1996

14 minutes ago, masster said:

I am not sure where you saw or heard that. That was never communicated. Did you really think they were going to invite an additional 140 (20x7) players to training camps?

I'd read it months before the trials started.   I expected it to be more localized.    

His uncle was the owner of the club in Greece..all the games he played was in the 2015-16 season (2 starts in the league) when they were not under the threat of relegation..how come he didnt appear in the 14-15 season when they were in the 2nd tier fighting for promotion or in 16-17 fighting for survival..not hard to figure things out..if his level was anything near the top tier of Greece he would have been signed and announced long ago

16 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

12 hours ago, 1996 said:

Yes but he was playing in Greece , so for some on these boards as I’ve stated many times it doesn’t count it only counts if you were playing in the lower leagues of England, Scotland , Germany and any of the lower leagues in any of the Scandinavian countries. This poor guy had the misfortune of playing  some good minutes in Greece’ s top league . So for some on these boards it’s like playing on Mars lol. So ya he apparently never experienced a professional environment lol, and he has never gotten a taste of the next level by playing and even starting in a fare share of games in Greece’s top league lol! Come to think of it this Zambazis kid,  if he plays in the CPL would be one of the players with the highest level of professional league playing experience lol. How many other players signed so far have played at a higher league than this kid? 

I didn't know anything about the guy other than he was a 1st year player out of York which was provided at the time of the CPL draft.  It appears (according to wikipedia) that he made 9 appearances over 3 years in Greece.  I'm sure being in that environment was beneficial to him.  

Thank you both for correcting me. 

All 2018 League 1 Ontario guys!   

Estevez with North Mississauga, Springer with Vaughan Azzurri, and Doner from Aurora.  

We saw all three introduced at the York 9 pub night on January 30th.  For some reason I've had Springer listed as a signing since December 7th.  

Good to see an official announcement from the league.   

10 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

All 2018 League 1 Ontario guys!   

Estevez with North Mississauga, Springer with Vaughan Azzurri, and Doner from Aurora.  

We saw all three introduced at the York 9 pub night on January 30th.  For some reason I've had Springer listed as a signing since December 7th.  

Good to see an official announcement from the league.   

He was officially announced as a signing by his national team coach on Twitter, that’s probably why. 

York up to 16 players but only 2 internationals.. the team looks solid they’ll be able to put out a USL level squad as of today but I’m hoping they add a few more players that are at the next level.  Thinking Edgar, Gasparotto, Pasher, Cebara as examples.

Edited by Keegan

The League One players at Y9 and Forge, and the PDL contingent at Cavalry, will be an interesting testing ground I believe. If sides based on either do well, then automatically we are going to have to raise our appreciation of both leagues, and their merits as legit feeders for CPL will be enhanced. 

I'd love for the Canadian PDL teams to find a way to lengthen their respective seasons, perhaps by playing a tournament before or after. Just because players need longer seasons. 

I really think people will be surprised by how former pdl and L1O players do in the CPL. I honestly don't think there's a big difference at all in all of these "lower" levels in Canada. Even the top amateur level in this country, I think, is underrated. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The League One players at Y9 and Forge, and the PDL contingent at Cavalry, will be an interesting testing ground I believe. If sides based on either do well, then automatically we are going to have to raise our appreciation of both leagues, and their merits as legit feeders for CPL will be enhanced. 

I'd love for the Canadian PDL teams to find a way to lengthen their respective seasons, perhaps by playing a tournament before or after. Just because players need longer seasons. 

I would caution against comparing Calgary Foothills with L1O since I am not sure how representative Foothills is of PDL, given the number of players signed in anticipation of CPL and how much better they were compared to their competition.

31 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I would caution against comparing Calgary Foothills with L1O since I am not sure how representative Foothills is of PDL, given the number of players signed in anticipation of CPL and how much better they were compared to their competition.

Well I have no idea of the value of L10, because I just do not follow it.

Though in fact I don't think you can prove that L1O has fed more pro teams than PDL overall, even in the last few years. PDL has a close relationship to a lot of USL sides for example. 

What I am more interested in is how either or both might get a real boost, when players perceive that excelling in either may be a real link to a pro contract in CPL. So, hypothetically, their level might rise as well. The same could perhaps be said of our U-Sports, it could be a major boost to the way we revalue our university soccer system. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

HOT TAKE: Justin Singer might be one of the most useful signing this year for the image of the CPL as he's likely the best shot (currently) a CPL player has at starting several games at this year's Gold Cup.

This assume St Kitts and Nevis make it (they likely will)

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I have no idea of the value of L10, because I just do not follow it.

Though in fact I don't think you can prove that L1O has fed more pro teams than PDL overall, even in the last few years. PDL has a close relationship to a lot of USL sides for example. 

What I am more interested in is how either or both might get a real boost, when players perceive that excelling in either may be a real link to a pro contract in CPL. So, hypothetically, their level might rise as well. The same could perhaps be said of our U-Sports, it could be a major boost to the way we revalue our university soccer system. 

Well, I think L1O might be a little below PDL, given the relative performances of teams like FC London and TFC III who had played in both.  But that said, I agree and am hoping that L1O gets a boost like you said.

I'll have more on tonight's pub night in Richmond Hill tomorrow but there is now a new offer...."Non SSH can go to the Hamilton inaugural game with bus ride and ticket for $50.00".

Also the travelling fans are expected to be 1200 to 1500 (two weeks ago when the offer was made with the new sponsor, 1000 was the expected amount).