York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

If season ticket holders were being given access to a special deal they can opt in and take advantage of in the manner cblake describes above then mentioning a lower number than the total season ticket base as the expected support level makes sense, but it sounds like the tickets to the inaugural match are now being included in York 9's season ticket package in the same way home games will be:

DyM1JriXQAYp08z?format=jpg&name=small

so I could definitely see where Kent was coming from if the 1000 number is still applicable. It sounds like they will be providing season ticket holders with the option to buy extras over and above the ones they get for free:

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The problem with that line of argument is that they appear to be sending out tickets to all of their season ticket holders, which will no doubt have a designated seat number and will probably count towards the announced attendance regardless of whether they are actually used. The reason I inserted would as a weasel word in my reply to Kent above was more that arrangements on this appear to have been carried out ad hoc and the Forge are only selling season tickets and flex packs for the lower bowl so far so there is probably nothing rigidly carved in stone about 1000 having to be the York 9 ticket allocation. I'm sure the Forge would love to be able to remove the tarps from the second tier for this game. Any way you slice it York Region to Hamilton isn't exactly long distance travel so with free transport being provided 1000 is quite a modest expectation for their first ever game given a 15,000 seat SSS is still said to be in the works for this team.

Forge-Flex-Pack-564x730.jpg

What the fuck is the point of all this?

Are you going to the opening game? 

After all this shit, you better be buying a ticket to this game. 

And you can't sell anything other than flex packs or seasons when you don't have a schedule yet.

5 hours ago, Alex D said:

Dude, go away. Seriously leave this section of the forum. You are getting more crotchety every day we get closer to kick off and spaming every thread with needless negative conjecture. I'm not even sure if you sleep because you can seemingly shit on the CPL around the clock. Somebody has a positive comment? You are there instantly to piss in their corn flakes, 24/7. 

This league is happening, it's going to be whatever it is and we will embrace it because its local Canadian focused football. 

Just go away. 

Thank you. 

I have to agree with you and I have been much more tolerant than most on here just figuring we have a devils advocate, it’s just getting silly now, I don’t know how a Voyageur can have so much negativity towards a project most of us embrace!

5 minutes ago, gator said:

I have to agree with you and I have been much more tolerant than most on here just figuring we have a devils advocate, it’s just getting silly now, I don’t know how a Voyageur can have so much negativity towards a project most of us embrace!

I have maintained for a while now that he has a vastly different understanding of the term "Canadian soccer supporter".   Constantly disparaging CPL, looking at the most negative aspects of announcements, and just generally being a huge douchebag.  I have no idea why people find value in his posts.  Yeah, some of us may be over the top in our responses to him, but I think it is absolutely warranted.  At minimum, a soccer fan with differing views should stay silent.  Actively shitting on CPL is not, to me, an acceptable way for a self-identified V to behave on here.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What's pathetic is grown men that can't see something they disagree with on the internet without spewing moronic bile and generally throwing their toys around the room like a bunch of toddlers having a temper tantrum. 

Fuck off. 

If you push endlessly long enough, even grown patient people get fucking sick of it. 

This site will never recover from what you have done to it during a time it should have grown. It didn't. 

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and it's all my fault? Sure bud, whatever.

My mom once told me "If you have a problem with every one of your teachers, maybe it isn't your teachers that have the problem".  That always stayed with me.

You may want to think about it in the context of the almost universal response to your bullshit.

34 minutes ago, admin said:

Fuck off. 

If you push endlessly long enough, even grown patient people get fucking sick of it. 

This site will never recover from what you have done to it during a time it should have grown. It didn't. 

I'm guilty of losing it at BBTB but my rational was that he needed his posts to have a counter balance for people just visiting the website. (Casuals, non-fans that are curious and foreigners)

Left uncheck with all of BBTB posts, cherry picking sources and negativity, the biggest Canadian soccer forum looks like its crapping all over its new league... That's really a bad impression to outsiders and you know what? I'd probably wouldn't bother with the content. If supposed hardcore fans don't even support their own league, why would any casuals or none fans be interested in this place or the league? It's just hurting the forum and what we're trying to accomplish in the end.

That's why I countered his posted. It's fine to have an opposite view, but spamming the same posts over and over in different ways is trolling to me and hurts this forum.

He needs to quit what he's doing. Reacting to him is time that could have been better served promoting the league and organizing things/events to hype it.

Edited by Ansem

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What's pathetic is grown men that can't see something they disagree with on the internet without spewing moronic bile and generally throwing their toys around the room like a bunch of toddlers having a temper tantrum. 

You completely miss the point. I disagree with people on here all the time, it's fine. It's the volume and relentlessness of generally unessecarily negative and mostly baseless posts you make. Don't you have anything constructive to do?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and it's all my fault? Sure bud, whatever.

Well, yes and no. 

I am in three FB chat groups that represent the leadership of most supporters groups across the country..   Not more than a day goes by without someone copying and pasting one of your posts going WTF? 

These people represent thousands of supporters across the country. Many of those in new supporters groups.  None, save for one post here anymore, and they sure as shit won't send any of their newly minted supporters here either.  Why would they?

I get why people of our generation are cynical.  I really do, I bet many of us could fill a stadium with horror stories of corruption, mismanagement ect...  but we need to stop living by it and being governed by it.  Good shit is happening, really good shit and we should embrace it.

All of this needs to be fun.  It really does or there is no point in doing any of it. 

CanPL on this site is not fun.

1 minute ago, admin said:

Well, yes and no. 

I am in three FB chat groups that represent the leadership of most supporters groups across the country..   Not more than a day goes by without someone copying and pasting one of your posts going WTF? 

These people represent thousands of supporters across the country. Many of those in new supporters groups.  None, save for one post here anymore, and they sure as shit won't send any of their newly minted supporters here either.  Why would they?

I get why people of our generation are cynical.  I really do, I bet many of us could fill a stadium with horror stories of corruption, mismanagement ect...  but we need to stop living by it and being governed by it.  Good shit is happening, really good shit and we should embrace it.

All of this needs to be fun.  It really does or there is no point in doing any of it. 

CanPL on this site is not fun.

If only there was somebody with the power to excise the tumour once, and for all. ?

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

If only there was somebody with the power to excise the tumour once, and for all. ?

Well this is a good time to reiterate my deep commitment to free speech (save for the odd ill timed Lord Bob joke .... sigh)

I don't want anyone to go away, I want them on board.   However, I freely admit I have totally failed at that and don't really see a solution.  If in the span of a month getting a World Cup, a new league and Nations League all at once can't give people a glimmer of positive hope for the future, I don't know what will.  Certainly nothing I could say or do and that realization was really depressing. 

Just the other day I met a guy in a cafe in Vancouver that did nothing but shit all over Davies signing with BM.  What lies above that signing that could possibly please anyone?  

I still maintain, that despite the negative Nancy's who are simply spreading opinions vs the horrid vitriol on social media, this place is not nearly as bad as people say it is.  What I think defines the negative reactions is that people expect the vitriol on social media, and far more solidarity here.   We have been the sports outcasts in the country forever and now that we are getting on our feet, all we see is people shooting it down.   Instead of this being a reprieve from social media, the relentless negativity even if it isn't as bad as other places seems somehow worse. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Well this is a good time to reiterate my deep commitment to free speech (save for the odd ill timed Lord Bob joke .... sigh)

I don't want anyone to go away, I want them on board.   However, I freely admit I have totally failed at that and don't really see a solution.  If in the span of a month getting a World Cup, a new league and Nations League all at once can't give people a glimmer of positive hope for the future, I don't know what will.  Certainly nothing I could say or do and that realization was really depressing. 

Just the other day I met a guy in a cafe in Vancouver that did nothing but shit all over Davies signing with BM.  What lies above that signing that could possibly please anyone?  

I still maintain, that despite the negative Nancy's who are simply spreading opinions vs the horrid vitriol on social media, this place is not nearly as bad as people say it is.  What I think defines the negative reactions is that people expect the vitriol on social media, and far more solidarity here.   We have been the sports outcasts in the country forever and now that we are getting on our feet, all we see is people shooting it down.   Instead of this being a reprieve from social media, the relentless negativity even if it isn't as bad as other places seems somehow worse. 

I respect your commitment to free speech - and as a website admin I totally get why you need to err on the side of it.  But when you think about the magnitude of fallout caused by one person's relentless negativity, I wonder if (in this case) one small sacrifice is warranted.   This isn't about silencing dissenting opinions.  It isn't about quelling  any and all questions.  It is about excising a lone destructive force that has had impacts you know better than most.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The thing is, you disagree with the whole point of this board. Supporting Canadian soccer. You literally never have anything positive to say

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

People that I've had beef with on this forum over the past 10 years:

Unnamed Trialist (edited out)

Duane Rollins (Media Guy)

Lord Bob

Lots of others

People that I've wanted banned from the forum:

BringBacktheBlizzard

That is all...

The difference being that the top three have also contributed positively to the forum as well

20 minutes ago, matty said:

so the crazy free for all you've let happen hasn't done damage to the site and isn't preventing it from growing?

It has.  For sure it has and I have stated as much many times. 

The solution isn't as simple as people make it out to be. We aren't just a forum, we are community that actually gets together.  I travel across the country and meet many of these people, sell them tickets to games (which they need to be on the site to buy).  It isn't as simple as a Honda Car Forum. 

Are there people with mental health issues here? Yes, and I say that without any hyperbole (and no I for sure do not mean BBTB) . Having a friend in a supporters group I was part of kill themselves for being ostracized from it has also had deep affect on me.  I don't want to be the one to pull that trigger, no pun intended. 

I am also not anonymous.  I have dodged lawsuits, multiple legal take down notices, and I have banned people who threatened to 'find me at a game'.  All of this has to be taken into consideration.  

So while BBTB is often relentlessly negative I will defend his right to be.  I do occasionally lose it and get frustrated like today. But I get frustrated because I think guys like him who obviously love the game, been around forever should be leading the way, a positive way forward.   I just don't know how to make that happen.  

I used to be him, and I changed.  The grass really is greener over here and it's a lot more fun.