York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Due to the snowfall warning given by Environment Canada tonight, York9 FC has made the decision to postpone tonight's meet & greet event at Olde Village Free House until Monday February 4th.

We look forward to meeting our supporters there!

…………………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

From the annoying "I walked to school five miles uphill both ways barefoot in the snow" guy you hate, I'm looking out the window now and I say they made a good call!

My tickets are for Wednesday at Shoeless Joe's Woodbridge anyway.

Yeah The TOK Group was announced as a sponsor of the team. They are a transportation company and will provide coaches (ie buses) to get us to the game. In theory we will be in the stadium by 11:30am. The (20+) buses will be scattered around the York 9 area for pick ups. I put together this info at the put night at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge.

(the pub night on Monday was cancelled because of the weather so this was the first).

I don't know what next week's surprise will be if every pub event will be breaking news.

Ooh 6 second mark of that video I've got my hand up wearing a plaid shirt!   

Edited by Rocket Robin

10 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

So here's my summary of the York 9 Meet & Greet held at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge.

I've got the sound files of the whole presentation..

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york050.htm

Based on Robin's report, Emilio Estevez, Justin Springer, Morey Doner, and Matt Silva are now official!

My comment below was originally posted in the CPL TV Contract thread:  

At the pub night for York 9 last night, one of the team staff said there would be times that would be games the same day as TFC (although they would try to avoid them) and they would try to have them hours apart.  Once he mentioned the new Pioneer Village subway stop which is only the length of the football stadium from Alumni Field, that means that it's one subway line ride downtown and then a streetcar-right-of-way right to BMO Field so two hours between an end of game and start of another!   

Also remember that TTC allows free parking in their subway lots on weekends.  I used that to benefit last year to pull off a TFC III at Downsview (then parked at Wilson station) and rode to BMO Field to watch a TFC/TFC II doubleheader last summer.   

The York staffer last night said they are aiming for a preference of Saturday afternoon games.  

They have been saying they expect about 1000 fans at the Forge game, and now they are saying all season ticket holders get a ticket. Does that mean there are less than 1000 season ticket holders? Have we heard season ticket holder numbers anywhere other than Halifax (and Pacific who apparently haven’t started selling them yet, so are at 0 ATM).

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Noticed that as well. It would suggest that either the 2.5 season ticket sales per member thing hasn't been happening for them like it has been reported to elsewhere, or there was something strange going on with the late surge in membership numbers they kept tweeting about that wasn't happening anywhere else.

Or much more likely, they don’t anticipate every one of their season ticket holders to make the trip. 

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Or much more likely, they don’t anticipate every one of their season ticket holders to make the trip. 

I agree, when TFC did this for season ticket holders for Montreal, every season ticket holder was offered tickets. At the end of the day about 3,500 of the 5,000 or so tickets that were issued were used. TFC had about 18K season ticket holders that season. So I would not be alarmed at all, people could take the tickets and drive themselves. 

56 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I agree, when TFC did this for season ticket holders for Montreal, every season ticket holder was offered tickets. At the end of the day about 3,500 of the 5,000 or so tickets that were issued were used. TFC had about 18K season ticket holders that season. So I would not be alarmed at all, people could take the tickets and drive themselves. 

You’re talking too much sense. I’m sure there’s some off-base theory you can come up with that REALLY explains the situation. ??

Edited by rob.notenboom

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

The problem with that line of argument is that they appear to be sending out tickets to all of their season ticket holders, which will no doubt have a designated seat number and will probably count towards the announced attendance regardless of whether they are actually used. The reason I inserted would as a weasel word in my reply to Kent above was more that arrangements on this appear to have been carried out ad hoc and the Forge are only selling season tickets and flex packs for the lower bowl so far so there is probably nothing rigidly carved in stone about 1000 having to be the York 9 ticket allocation. I'm sure the Forge would love to be able to remove the tarps from the second tier for this game. Any way you slice it York Region to Hamilton isn't exactly long distance travel so with free transport being provided 1000 is quite a modest expectation for their first ever game given a 15,000 seat SSS is still said to be in the works for this team.

Forge-Flex-Pack-564x730.jpg

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The problem with that line of argument is that they appear to be sending out tickets to all of their season ticket holders, which will no doubt have a designated seat number and will probably count towards the announced attendance regardless of whether they are actually used. The reason I inserted would as a weasel word in my reply to Kent above was more that arrangements on this appear to have been carried out ad hoc and the Forge are only selling season tickets and flex packs for the lower bowl so far so there is probably nothing rigidly carved in stone about 1000 having to be the York 9 ticket allocation. I'm sure the Forge would love to be able to remove the tarps from the second tier for this game. Any way you slice it York Region to Hamilton isn't exactly long distance travel so with free transport being provided 1000 is quite a modest expectation for their first ever game given a 15,000 seat SSS is still said to be in the works for this team.

Dude, go away. Seriously leave this section of the forum. You are getting more crotchety every day we get closer to kick off and spaming every thread with needless negative conjecture. I'm not even sure if you sleep because you can seemingly shit on the CPL around the clock. Somebody has a positive comment? You are there instantly to piss in their corn flakes, 24/7. 

This league is happening, it's going to be whatever it is and we will embrace it because its local Canadian focused football. 

Just go away. 

Thank you. 

It's possible I have been reading too much into this graphic:

DyLCf70W0AAEAhO.jpg

but I think it would actually be a good idea to do something like this, because Fury games look terrible on broadcast coverage when you see acres of empty seats. When the Steelers played at Ivor Wynne back in 1987 (cue the usual posts claiming they only ever played at Brian Timmis) it was really depressing to see all the empty seats during TSN coverage, so hopefully the lower bowl will be well-filled on the side the cameras are facing this time around. At least there won't be CFL lines visible this time.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I don’t think that unused tickets count towards attendance. They’ve usually got scanners at the gates, those feed the numbers back into the system and that how they get exact attendances. Anyways, the 1000 number be used is likely a guesstimate by York9 of how many people will use the free tickets. They probably assume that a certain percentage of fans will watch the TFC game, another percentage will watch both on TV, another percentage won’t be able to go for whatever of a pleathers of reasons. Normal stuff really. I’m very encouraged by all this, and I think that not only will the game be sold out, it will hopefully also be hyped up and well-viewed on TV. 

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's possible I have been reading too much into this graphic:

DyLCf70W0AAEAhO.jpg

but I think it would actually be a good idea to do something like this, because Fury games look terrible on broadcast coverage when you see acres of empty seats. When the Steelers played at Ivor Wynne back in 1987 (cue the usual posts claiming they only ever played at Brian Timmis) it was really depressing to see all the empty seats during TSN coverage, so hopefully the lower bowl will be well-filled on the side the cameras are facing this time around. At least there won't be CFL lines visible this time.

If you want an idea of how it would look check out Rugby Canada vs USA from 2017. That was 13000 in lower bowl only.

That pic takes some creative liberties I think,  another detail are those 4 orange H's on the back of the stands, don't think they'll go to the effort of doing those. They're just black and yellow zig zag patterns with Timmys and City logos. I think at most we'll see in-stadium wall banners and flags, and possibly the small orange tarps they show covering the top few rows of the lower stands in that pic (where the seats are yellow in real life) 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

None of that shows where there is a problem in my line of argument at all.