York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Keep in mind that many MLS teams continue training after they are eliminated from the playoffs. Some even schedule friendlies during that time. Teams are only required to give six weeks' vacation per the CBA, but of course the individual club could decide to give more.

There's no reason why the CPL clubs couldn't do the same, assuming contracts run through Dec. 31 of each year.

It's not a great solution, games are always better than training, but players won't exactly be "idle" per se.

Good point and taking players on tour for friendlies etc. Is a great way to get players looks for loans/transfers. 

56 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Indoor facilities are likely going to play an important role for off-season training. Maybe some sort of off-season indoor league can be arranged. 

A lot of Scandinavian clubs play indoors (full side) - we could do this in a few places across the country.  The new Laval team will have such a facility at the site of their potential stadium.  Hamilton has a place nearby in Stoney Creek as well.  

I think I remember even Josh simpson playing for Kaiserslautern indoor in the offseason.. no harm in that - aren’t we always hearing how great 5 a side close quarter football is for development? 

^^  Then we'll hear about all the kids destroying their knees on artificial surfaces.  Euro snobs complaining about turf.  

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Indoor facilities are likely going to play an important role for off-season training. Maybe some sort of off-season indoor league can be arranged. 

Sort of like the NBA summer league??  Something just to keep young players going in the offseason?  

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

A lot of Scandinavian clubs play indoors (full side) - we could do this in a few places across the country.  The new Laval team will have such a facility at the site of their potential stadium.  Hamilton has a place nearby in Stoney Creek as well.  

I think I remember even Josh simpson playing for Kaiserslautern indoor in the offseason.. no harm in that - aren’t we always hearing how great 5 a side close quarter football is for development? 

The indoor place in Stoney Creek, Players Paradise, was sold to a company that is going to turn it into -wait for this- a pot growing operation.  It all happened very quickly and local youth clubs were very upset as they had already made plans for winter programming.

Winnipeg has full field facilities. York has Ontario Soccer Centre where their CanPL open trials were. Edmonton now has the soccer dome. Foothills has their own facility in Calgary. 

And Stoon & Regina also have full field facilities. ?

I’m just speculating of course. But extending the season in a way by having teams train indoors and/or play friendlies, tournaments, or a mini league might be worthwhile. I think we get 7 months of useable weather ... maybe 8 if we push it. 

Of course they could simply have a long pre-season as well indoors or in a warm climate location. 

29 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

The indoor place in Stoney Creek, Players Paradise, was sold to a company that is going to turn it into -wait for this- a pot growing operation.  It all happened very quickly and local youth clubs were very upset as they had already made plans for winter programming.

Wow - that’s really too bad, obviouly such facilities are in demand now but an indoor soccer facility will be in very high demand over the next decades.  Luckily this can be done more cost efficiently by a bubble - which I believe they have at TH Field as well or am I thinking BMO?

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Winnipeg has full field facilities. York has Ontario Soccer Centre where their CanPL open trials were. Edmonton now has the soccer dome. Foothills has their own facility in Calgary. 

And Stoon & Regina also have full field facilities. ?

I’m just speculating of course. But extending the season in a way by having teams train indoors and/or play friendlies, tournaments, or a mini league might be worthwhile. I think we get 7 months of useable weather ... maybe 8 if we push it. 

Of course they could simply have a long pre-season as well indoors or in a warm climate location. 

Or you could send all the teams to the West Coast. In Victoria you have acceptable conditions in most of every month of the year, outdoors. 

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Stoney Creek facility is now or will be a cannabis growing facility.

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ibra, that really puts us up to date, and such a balanced point of view always.

There's not a player in Europe under 25 who hasn't played on turf in younger years or lower divisions coming up. If even a few years ago there were still clauses for national cup competitions where a team could refuse to play on turf in a lower division rival's stadium, they have pretty well been eliminated.

I just find the term "euro-snob" to be lame, and worse when basing your views on the words of divo dinosaurs.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ibra, that really puts us up to date, and such a balanced point of view always.

There's not a player in Europe under 25 who hasn't played on turf in younger years or lower divisions coming up. If even a few years ago there were still clauses for national cup competitions where a team could refuse to play on turf in a lower division rival's stadium, they have pretty well been eliminated.

I just find the term "euro-snob" to be lame, and worse when basing your views on the words of divo dinosaurs.

Did you bother to read more than the title??  The article says exactly what you said about the comoness of  "enhanced" pitches in europe etc.  But it also mentions how the dutch players union protested the spread of them, and how 63% of mls players said the type of pitch influenced their decision to join a team.  That article was from this year, so dont pretend that this is a debate from 20 years ago.   As for what you think is lame, better start clutching those pearls a little tighter.   

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did you bother to read more than the title??  The article says exactly what you said about the comoness of  "enhanced" pitches in europe etc.  But it also mentions how the dutch players union protested the spread of them, and how 63% of mls players said the type of pitch influenced their decision to join a team.  That article was from this year, so dont pretend that this is a debate from 20 years ago.   As for what you think is lame, better start clutching those pearls a little tighter.   

I can assure you it is about a third as relevant a debate today than it was even 10 years ago. I am not saying it is not relevant, but you saying that players take it into consideration--well great, like they consider schools for kids, the lifestyle of the city, the weather, the character of the manager--all of which can be totally mitigated by good pay in a contract. The only players who have really openly said they won't play on field turf in MLS are the rare dinosaurs from Europe who are trying to save their knees for an extra, overpaid season. No journeyman in MLS has ever insisted on it successfully.

I still remember there was a norm on the books for the Spanish Copa that a higher level team was not obliged to play on turf if drawing a lower tier team with it. Forcing modest teams to play away from their stadiums and fan base. Third tier L'Hospitalet refused to play Deportivo away from their home stadium and chose to protest after the game was moved to a nearby grass stadium, they did not show up and were kicked out of the competition. That norm has been annulled as it was old-fashioned. http://www.espnfcasia.com/europe/news/2001/1211/20011211hospitaletforfeit.html

This is all prehistory, for a reason. 

Looks like Cyrus Rollocks might be heading to York. cpltransfers just tweeted: 

I tweeted back that Rollocks would be great for York and received a wink.

Would be a good striker, set l1o ablaze with his first season at TFC III and did reasonably well with limited game time at Master's Futbol last year. I was surprised that TFC let him go. Also a go to signing for me at York in FM :)  I am all my higher rated L1O players for my db are getting picked up.

4 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I tweeted back that Rollocks would be great for York and received a wink.

Would be a good striker, set l1o ablaze with his first season at TFC III and did reasonably well with limited game time at Master's Futbol last year. I was surprised that TFC let him go. Also a go to signing for me at York in FM :)  I am all my higher rated L1O players for my db are getting picked up.

He was the 2017 League 1 Ontario Young Player of the Year Award winner for his last year at TFC III.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o299.htm

I missed him in the seven Masters games I attended last year.  He was always injured or away.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

https://the11.ca/in-search-of-manny-aparicio-will-play-for-york-9/

The Steve Sandor story.  

He did get to play at BMO Field on June 20, 2015 in the Dwayne DeRosario 
testimonial game.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports15/15tfc016.htm  

and plenty of games with TFC II.  Here's him in the lineup wearing #34 
in the international against AS Roma Primavera on July 25, 2015.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports15/15tfc299.htm 
So his parents would have seen him play at the Ontario Soccer Centre.