York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

11 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

heh, though technically when I fly to Hong Kong it's through the Arctic, so does that mean Asia is North?

The beauty of this planet (if you believe the sphere-earthers) is that you can go whatever direction you want and eventually get there! ?

Edited by Andrew W

On 1/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just because Issey has a Japanese mother does not mean you should just assume he's "East", he was born in Calgary and lived in Vancouver as a kid. I don't think they'd make that mistake: he's not from Asia.

To be fair, this would be the quintessential York Region assumption.

3 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Wasn’t there a Japanese trialist that was very good? Heard something like that on Twitter 

There was a few. There's Kodai Lida who impressed in Toronto (as @Blackdude mentioned) and there was a contingent of Japanese players in Victoria.

One of them was 22 year-old winger Kazutero Okamoto who finished 5th overall in Kinduct's rankings who played in the Cambodia's top division last year.

https://canpl.ca/article/kinduct-final-stat-sheet-top-overall-performers-from-the-gotgame-open-trials

There's also central mid Wataru Murofushi, who captained the Albirex Niigata Singapore team that won the league-cup triple last year and was named the league's player of the year at age 23.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/football/white-swansong-for-wataru

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

The thing is I think Rocket Robin reported that Iida was seen with Brennan watching the L1O final, so the Iida play makes a lot of sense. That's probably why I think it's him.  (I think Iida, it has more results than Lida, but I've seen both)

I didn't notice Brennan at the L1O final or who he was sitting with.  

Someone did mention it on another thread or site...just not me.  

edit:  Yeah it was yellowsweatygorilla on the Discord forum.

Edited by Rocket Robin

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

I didn't notice Brennan at the L1O final or who he was sitting with.  

Someone did mention it on another thread or site...just not me.  

edit:  Yeah it was yellowsweatygorilla on the Discord forum.

Yep, Jim Brennan was in the stands with him for the first half before dropping by to say hello to Generation 9 and COTU supporters. 

Player of the year in Singapore after his team won 4 trophies. Looks like just the kind of guy this league should be going for. I don't know much about Singapore, but it seems pretty obvious he is at a higher level than the league as a whole. I looked at his stats and thought he was a striker for a bit, but he is actually a Central Mid. 

Just Watched some highlights and the League as a whole looks pretty poor. Maybe slightly above L1O, but Wataru looks quite talented. Can hit some strikes from long distance, and is very agile.

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-signs-japanese-midfielder-wataru-murofushi-from-albirex-niigata-singapore-fc

...Murofushi, a sports science graduate who played for Juntendo University in Chiba before his pro debut had been looking for an opportunity to play football in North America, for both the standard of play as well as work on his own English...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Looks like a solid signing, agree with BFBF. The Singapore league is hardly one to set the pulses racing but he seems like a league MVP and this should be a good stepping stone for him and solid squad player with a ton potential to improve. 

A couple of articles on him here: 

http://www.fas.org.sg/competitions/wataru-murofushi-albirex-midfield-marvel-who-took-detour-singapore/

And also from goal.com (can't post link as it directs to a different site for some reason)

Wataru Murofushi is Albirex Niigata's captain marvel

Alif Chandra

03:13 10/06/2018

Albirex Niigata FC (S) 2016 S.League champions
S.League
Still only 23, the captain Murofushi of Albirex Niigata displays maturity beyond his tender years

Composed, calm and balanced. Not once did SPL (Singapore Premier League) champions, Albirex Niigata feel flustered as they came up against a confident Home United side that had just earned back to back wins.  It seemed although as if The White Swans knew that they were going to unlock a stubborn Home United defence marshalled expertly by Abdil Qaiyyim. The game at the Jurong East stadium was cagey and cautious especially in the first half yet Albirex were carefree and patient, keeping hold of possession waiting for the moment to strike.

If there was ever a man that encapsulated their performance it was captain Wataru Murofushi who was an extension of his side’s supreme confidence in their abilities. Never mind the fact that he was harried by an energetic Izzdin Shafiq, Murofushi never once flinched and again proved why he is such a vital cog in his team’s dominance of Singapore’s top flight league. The diminutive playmaker kept his side ticking, his ability on the ball second to none as he sprayed passes all over the field causing massive problems for the away side.

Murofushi was a metronome in midfield last night; he dominated the crucial midfield battle and led his side to victory. But there’s more to the Japanese than just his playmaking abilities, it must be said that his fitness is just on another level as he kept running while his opponents began to tire. Here is a man who continues to demonstrate exemplary qualities of what a footballer should possess. The Protectors soon found themselves frustrated and began resorting to rash challenges in order to the 23 year old.

Yet it was to no avail as they simply had no answer to his quick and feet and more importantly sharp thinking. His neat interplay with his forwards unlocked Home’s United defence as they scored the first goal and soon the floodgates began to open. Two more goals were added to cap off Albirex’s 11th wins in as many games.  Indeed the Japanese side are destined to win the league without a shred of a doubt but it’s hard to argue that they do not deserve it.  Adam Swandi once mentioned how his captain gives everyone a lift when the team is confronted with difficult moments in the game. He leads from the front and keeps driving the team forward. It’s safe to say that could be the reason why come the end of the season Murofushi could be lifting the SPL trophy.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, Keegan said:

Surprised no one has mentioned he’s coming from the same club that Issey started at.  Issey, like this guy, was a stud on that team before moving to Denmark and doing well for himself.  This is an exciting signing, well done.

Nice find lol

Edited by ironcub14