York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Wonder why they had to change to the Ontario Soccer Centre:

The York University field looks way too narrow for a pro soccer game when I look at it on Google Maps, so always assumed the OSC is where a York Region team would have to be.

Would be nice to think they are doing it to respect our picket lines, but doubt it.

Frosinone won 2-1 over Vaughan.  

Vaughan tweeted 1500+ at game...L1O tweeted 1200+  

I think OSC capacity is only 1700 if they really crammed them in.  

Maybe a crowd not of 3000 would look near empty at York U.  

Frosinone overload coming though as Monday they will play 'Canadian Selects' (an all star team from the Canadian Academy of Futbol)  then Wednesday they will play Oakville Blue Devils...both games listed at York U.   That's quite a drive from Oakville on a weeknight ie rush hour traffic etc. Then finally Tuesday July 31st they are in Hamtramck Michigan to play Detroit City FC.  

Now about Vaughan and Oakville.  They play a L1O Cup semi-final on Sunday in Oakville.  How worn out will Vaughan be with playing that game tonight?  What lineup will Oakville use in the exhibition game if they go all out on Sunday for L1O?

Don't know the details of tonight's game as I was out in Whitby watching Darby FC beat Unionville Milliken SC 2-0 in L1O regular season play.  I'll give the link once I write it up in the now forgotten 'Canadian Teams and Leagues'.    

* also Wednesday night will be the return leg of the Canadian championship between Toronto FC and Ottawa down at BMO Field so that will cut into their crowd. 

Edited by Rocket Robin

9 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Frosinone won 2-1 over Vaughan.  

Vaughan tweeted 1500+ at game...L1O tweeted 1200+  

I think OSC capacity is only 1700 if they really crammed them in.  

Maybe a crowd not of 3000 would look near empty at York U.  

Frosinone overload coming though as Monday they will play 'Canadian Selects' (an all star team from the Canadian Academy of Futbol)  then Wednesday they will play Oakville Blue Devils...both games listed at York U.   That's quite a drive from Oakville on a weeknight ie rush hour traffic etc. Then finally Tuesday July 31st they are in Hamtramck Michigan to play Detroit City FC.  

Now about Vaughan and Oakville.  They play a L1O Cup semi-final on Sunday in Oakville.  How worn out will Vaughan be with playing that game tonight?  What lineup will Oakville use in the exhibition game if they go all out on Sunday for L1O?

Don't know the details of tonight's game as I was out in Whitby watching Darby FC beat Unionville Milliken SC 2-0 in L1O regular season play.  I'll give the link once I write it up in the now forgotten 'Canadian Teams and Leagues'.    

* also Wednesday night will be the return leg of the Canadian championship between Toronto FC and Ottawa down at BMO Field so that will cut into their crowd. 

Wasn't there supposed to be a game vs L1O Allstars?

MEDIA ADVISORY

Venue Change for Remaining Frosinone Friendlies

jpeg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO, ON – Saturday, July 21, 2018

All media please note the venue for the two remaining exhibition games to be played by Serie A club Frosinone in Southern Ontario has been changed.

The game venue this Monday, July 23 in the match vs Canadian Selects, originally scheduled for York Lions Stadium at York University, has been changed to the Ontario Soccer Centre turf field, 7601 Martin Grove Rd. in Vaughan, ON.

Similarly, the game venue on Wednesday, July 25 for the match vs Oakville Blue Devils of League 1 Ontario, has also been changed to the Ontario Soccer Centre turf field. The kickoff time for both games however remains unchanged, at 7:30pm.

All tickets will be honoured at the main gate entrance of the Ontario Soccer Centre.

For more information, please reply to one of the following contacts:

Alberto Tari, President, Shooting Stars Football International: albertotari18@gmail.com or (416) 805-3074;

Tony La Ferrara, Head Coach – Director of Coaching & Player Development: tonylaf@rogers.com or (416) 835-0269.

-30-  

And here's the rest of the games moving venues....

For those that missed it, some guy reverse engineered the season holder list for all the CanPL teams on reddit - 

York 9 sitting at 176 memberships...

I hope something improves quickly for them.  Maybe they have a different approach we're not really seeing (club focus maybe?), maybe those don't register here?

Edited by zeelaw

On 7/21/2018 at 7:20 PM, zeelaw1555362314 said:

For those that missed it, some guy reverse engineered the season holder list for all the CanPL teams on reddit - 

York 9 sitting at 176 memberships...

I hope something improves quickly for them.  Maybe they have a different approach we're not really seeing (club focus maybe?), maybe those don't register here?

Or you know, Occam's Razor.....they've only sold 176 memberships, and maybe the demand for season tickets for a CPL team in this region isn't there.

Edited by Watchmen

We haven't been seeing the $50 discount code tweets from youth soccer clubs in other cities as a way to try and boost the membership numbers, so having an MLS team in the immediate vicinity seems to make a big difference to how people have been responding to having a CanPL team.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

We haven't been seeing the $50 discount code tweets from youth soccer clubs in other cities as a way to try and boost the membership numbers, so having an MLS team in the immediate vicinity seems to make a big difference to how people have been responding to having a CanPL team.

Being located close to an MLS market surely affects sales, but I wonder how much identity plays a factor with York 9. I live in Scarborough, so I can't say for sure, but I've never been under the impression that York Region really has that sense of collective identity. Perhaps some people identify with a particular municipality, but York Region as a whole covers such a broad area.

In contrast, I feel like a strong sense of identity and civic pride exists in Mississauga. I can imagine a CPL team doing really well in that city, despite it being even closer to TFC's home turf. Of course, a CPL team in Sauga could be seen as much more of a shot across TFC's bow than a team up north.

I'm from Vaughan so I can help address the whole "civic pride" issue. The short answer is that it's non-existent. No one here identifies as a "Vaughanian" or "Vaughanite" or whatever you call someone who comes from Vaughan. If someone from out of town asks you where you're from you say that you're from north of Toronto, very rarely will one say that they're from Vaughan or York Region. The "pride" is even less so when it comes to being from York Region. We view it more of a governmental organization who manages our public transport than a region that we can have pride in. My hope is that York 9 can change that.

That being said, there is a relatively large TFC supporter culture here, and while that proves that we are a soccer region, it will certainly have an impact on York 9 ticket sales when compared to the other CPL markets.

CPL should have chosen an “identity” place.. honestly who here thought York would get a team?  Was anyone pushing for one?  If there’s no pull to identify with the team and you’re ingrained in TFC why would you switch?  Especially for a team that so far has been run lacklustre vs one of the biggest teams in North America.

Imagine a team from Brampton, Mississauga or Scarborough.  Places that produce the majority of our talent AND all the players have pride being from there.  I think you’d create a team built on pride similar to Hamilton.  Imagine Sigma teaming up to start a Mississauga team?  So much potential.

Edited by Keegan

I agree with the issues about identifying with York region but perhaps give them a chance.  The York 9 concept is a cool one to try to overcome that and while they are close to Toronto, they are not that close to the TFC ground so they should be able to generate interest with fans in that region that want to travel to something closer to home.  I like the way they are reaching out to the soccer clubs on the ground in the region which is a good start.  I suspect they will need some name signings to generate interest and if they can generate enough to keep it going for a couple of years, their proposed stadium should help get them to the next level

The problem is not the name, the location, none of that. The problem is that they are not working at all to get the support, they are being lazy from what I can see. They are putting their eggs in the youth soccer club basket and think that will do it. I am very surprised they are not getting a huge boot in the butt from the CPL because doing so poorly, as they are, reflects badly on the league in the most intense media market in the country. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The problem is not the name, the location, none of that. The problem is that they are not working at all to get the support, they are being lazy from what I can see. They are putting their eggs in the youth soccer club basket and think that will do it. I am very surprised they are not getting a huge boot in the butt from the CPL because doing so poorly, as they are, reflects badly on the league in the most intense media market in the country. 

I’ve said it before they’re running this club like a Junior B hockey team. It’s not even at the level of a Jr A club never mind major junior.  The fact they just sent a few ticket and reps to the World Cup final at Dave and Busters speaks volumes... unless of course Jimmy Brennan was in Ireland signing Tomer.

I agree with all the above sentiment - huge identity crisis.

This approach to use YorkU just leaves me envisioning a black and green team with a bunch of red empty seats everywhere on opening day. 

Have fun selling that to people when they could drive another 30 mins south to BMO to see Giovinco.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I agree with the issues about identifying with York region but perhaps give them a chance.  The York 9 concept is a cool one to try to overcome that and while they are close to Toronto, they are not that close to the TFC ground so they should be able to generate interest with fans in that region that want to travel to something closer to home.  I like the way they are reaching out to the soccer clubs on the ground in the region which is a good start.  I suspect they will need some name signings to generate interest and if they can generate enough to keep it going for a couple of years, their proposed stadium should help get them to the next level

The concept has potential. It is definately going to be a challenge but if they pull it off and rally the region behind them, that's 1.2 Million people in their territory. With a 20k seats stadium, you only need 1.6% of the population to go to the game to sell out (not counting outsiders).

You got to see the context they are in right now. They are a York team not playing in York. Not only there's a low sense of identity in York, but the team won't be playing there. This means that right now, it's mostly a CONCEPT. People response better to things that are CONCRETE.

Their approach makes sense. They are focusing on the groundwork to reach out to those most likely to support the team while playing in North York, hence heavily promoting themselves in the soccer community and hardcore fans. Selling casuals in York who don't even identify with the region at this time on a team not playing in York is just burning marketing cash. Let's not forget that the league has its job to do as well to promote all clubs which I expect they will do once all the teams are in.

The ownership is clearly ready and able to bleed cash the first 3 years at York University while their stadium is going up. They could still draw a decent average of fans at York U because.

A) 2 new Subway stations (York University & Pioneer Village)...the next 2 stations are in Vaughan, York Region. People near Vaughan Metropolitan Station have a fast access to the stadium. Those who will be living in those condos near the station should be the prime targets. 

B)York University campus is MASSIVE and has around 50k students. Surprise, surprise, they have special prices for students. They obviously are hoping to attract a lot of them. 

C)North York has a population of over 600k and very ethnically diverse as well. This however is delicate since TFC consider this their backyard. As a North Yorker at Don Mills & Sheppard, York U is closer to me than Exhibition and that's a trek I don't enjoy doing...Sorry but BMO field is far for most people in these parts. Will York 9 promote here? Will TFC react? Question marks indeed... Thread carefully York 9...

The way I see it, they clearly have 2 steps marketing strategies for both stage (York U & Vaughan). Their approach is just logical.

As for the York identity, its starts with leadership. I'm on Urbantoronto board long enough and argued long enough to see that's where the Region as a whole is going. They are adding density, getting subways built ahead of within Toronto. Don't know about the past but that's where they are heading. Once the stadium location is known and a rumored "entertainment district" is revealed, their marketing strategy will shift and be aimed at York Region. It's a much easier sell when you have the stadium blueprints within a planned new district than just empty fields and an idea...a CONCEPT.

Selling the team at York U and North York is easier at this time since the stadium is there, the infrastructure is there. It's concrete, people can see it, which people in York can't do yet. TFC is concrete.

However, 3 years later, CPL will have been on TV, there will have been champions, Canadian Championship games, friendlies and hopefully Champions League. They will be more present in the media since there will be actually things to report. Add that with plans for a stadiums and new district and people will response. No need to commute 1h30 to BMO or get stuck in traffic on the DVP & 400 highways. It will be in their backyard. 

Identity?

Huge challenge but if they pull it off, I guaranteed you they will be the one laughing and one of the richest teams. The potential on return of investment is real, HUGE and worth absorbing losses to reach that goal. Again, they aren't amateur. Nothing happens overnight.

I wish that 5 years from now, their project will be successful. The closer to 2026 they get, the more helpful it will be. Also, it's smart of them to start now as the price of entry is low. Imagine the league gets successful and they decided to get in later, it would have been way pricier than now.

Lastly, Halton and Durham Region will be watching. York success could be the prelude to a Halton team in Oakville and Durham team in Oshawa in D2 most likely. 

People try some goddamm patience lol. Low commitment to season tickets (surprisingly pricey, doesn't mean that locals, students and some York Region people won't by tickets to games.

Thank you

Edited by Ansem

14 hours ago, Keegan said:

CPL should have chosen an “identity” place.. honestly who here thought York would get a team?  Was anyone pushing for one?  If there’s no pull to identify with the team and you’re ingrained in TFC why would you switch?  Especially for a team that so far has been run lacklustre vs one of the biggest teams in North America.

Imagine a team from Brampton, Mississauga or Scarborough.  Places that produce the majority of our talent AND all the players have pride being from there.  I think you’d create a team built on pride similar to Hamilton.  Imagine Sigma teaming up to start a Mississauga team?  So much potential.

What I like about Rob Friend, from the really casual observer point of view, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but what I liked about Friend was that he seemed flexible and open-minded enough to team up with Josh Simpson and help put a team in Langford when he saw that, for whatever stadium reasons, that a team couldn't be done for 2019 for Surrey and/or the Fraser Valley.

I'm guessing that Brennan has too much love and faith in Newmarket and the York Region to have pivoted to Sauga, which is by all metrics clearly where the GTA CPL team should have gone to, even if this Sauga team had to play in York U or wherever while they got a hypothetical stadium developed in Sauga.

I personally like the idea of a 15,000 seater in Kirby or wherever it is in Vaughan it's supposed to be, and I'm sure many on this thread does as well, but really, I think the low membership numbers clearly reflect the general public sentiment and the lack of much pent-up demand in the York Region towards the whole York 9 idea as a whole.

14 hours ago, Jith12 said:

I'm from Vaughan so I can help address the whole "civic pride" issue. The short answer is that it's non-existent. No one here identifies as a "Vaughanian" or "Vaughanite" or whatever you call someone who comes from Vaughan. If someone from out of town asks you where you're from you say that you're from north of Toronto, very rarely will one say that they're from Vaughan or York Region. The "pride" is even less so when it comes to being from York Region. We view it more of a governmental organization who manages our public transport than a region that we can have pride in. My hope is that York 9 can change that.

That being said, there is a relatively large TFC supporter culture here, and while that proves that we are a soccer region, it will certainly have an impact on York 9 ticket sales when compared to the other CPL markets.

This, by the way, is definitely the best summary anybody could have written on York 9 as a whole.

How effective is the York University angle when the league goes from presumably March to October?  That means students are only in school for 3 months of the season and they’re writing exams in April.  I wouldn’t count on it.  How many memberships have the youth clubs brought? Aren’t they giving them away FREE?

I see suggestions being thrown out as to how there might be positives but I’ll believe it when I see it.  I’ve watched a lot of team launches across all sports and levels and this is right up there with the worst, if not the worst.

59 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I'm guessing that Brennan has too much love and faith in Newmarket and the York Region to have pivoted to Sauga, which is by all metrics clearly where the GTA CPL team should have gone to, even if this Sauga team had to play in York U or wherever while they got a hypothetical stadium developed in Sauga.

This. Even if you have the plans in place, seeing the energy in Sauga surely should have persuaded them to go there. I think they'll regret it.