York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

This team needs a marquee type player.  Remember when Beckham signed in LA tfc sold like what 3k season tickets in a day? Am I remember that right?

We want to see a huge jump for York that could also sprinkle some numbers around the league.  I think back to Raul at Cosmos or Joe Cole at Tampa.. I wonder who would fit that bill and be within our price range?  Peter Crouch?  Maybe not but around that name/price.

Edited by Keegan

47 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This team needs a marquee type player.  Remember when Beckham signed in LA tfc sold like what 3k season tickets in a day? Am I remember that right?

We want to see a huge jump for York that could also sprinkle some numbers around the league.  I think back to Raul at Cosmos or Joe Cole at Tampa.. I wonder who would fit that bill and be within our price range?  Peter Crouch?  Maybe not but around that name/price.

Oh lets not go down this road!  All the positive talk about grass roots, high CDN quota, natural community oriented clubs fills me with a sense of hope, that the league could be successful.  Splashing cash on 37 year old EPL strikers just sends the opposite message.  Fast paced, exciting, attacking football should be the selling points.  

55 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Crouch wouldn't draw anything. Ricardo Quaresma or Nani would be cool though.

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh lets not go down this road!  All the positive talk about grass roots, high CDN quota, natural community oriented clubs fills me with a sense of hope, that the league could be successful.  Splashing cash on 37 year old EPL strikers just sends the opposite message.  Fast paced, exciting, attacking football should be the selling points.  

Okay but this isn’t football manager.. have you seen our MNT play?  If we had fast paced exciting football players we wouldn’t be here.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

All the positive talk about grass roots, high CDN quota, natural community oriented clubs fills me with a sense of hope, that the league could be successful.  Splashing cash on 37 year old EPL strikers just sends the opposite message.  Fast paced, exciting, attacking football should be the selling points.  

Problem is that the whole by Canadians for Canadians angle clearly isn't selling in a York Region context right now unlike what is happening in the four other markets to greater or lesser extents. Even on this board the people who you would expect to be getting behind this team in a big way seem lukewarm at best about it. What works in the GTA isn't necessarily what works best in Winnipeg and vice versa.

58 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Okay but this isn’t football manager.. have you seen our MNT play?  If we had fast paced exciting football players we wouldn’t be here.

I'm quite sure we're all expecting that this is going to be a very athletic league.  If it's competitive week-in week-out even better.  That's what will make it fun because yeah, raw quality?  Not expecting a tonne of that.

I thought maybe we were past that kind of stuff.  Bringing in a european having a mid-life crisis to drum up interest.  MLS has tried hard to ditch that stigma of being a retirement league for a long time, I hope we dont make the same mistakes.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I thought maybe we were past that kind of stuff.  Bringing in a european having a mid-life crisis to drum up interest.  MLS has tried hard to ditch that stigma of being a retirement league for a long time, I hope we dont make the same mistakes.  

On every team? No definitey not but if it will drum up interest why not?

Like it or not, if MLS didn’t employ the strategy the league would never be where it is now.  There’s no denying that from 2007-2012 the league doubled in size due to guys like Beckham, Keane, Henry etc. And even today some of the best players ie Zlatan and Villa are European has beens who destroy MLS. 

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

I've been thinking about this as well, bringing in a higher profile marque player like that brings more publicity for the league and brings in more of the casual fans and these players can help in the development of Canadians as well with their experience and skill.

For all the talk of retirement league from some as well of MLS they still continue to bring in the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic which brings in more casual fans/positive publicity.

A sprinkling of a few of these marque players with the majority of Canadian players will have a positive effect on the league IMHO, just keep the majority of players Canadian.

Edited by CDNFootballer

8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I was shocked not to see any marketing/table at the voyageur's cup game tonight! What a missed opportunity. What's going on with their marketing?

They are just getting started.

We also gave up setting anything up there last night, it was hopeless with the wind.