York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

14 minutes ago, Copes said:

http://membership.torontofc.ca/package.html

However, there are people commenting on a Reddit thread about the price that their season ticket prices are much closer to York 9s. Perhaps they have some sort of long-term member benefit? Not sure.

That chart doesn't show the pricing for supporters end tickets.  I would expect those to be a fair bit cheaper, so maybe the people on Reddit have season tickets there.

54 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I am a little disappointed in the price. It's only $30 cheaper than my TFC season tickets. 

Sure. If you’re in the south end and have been renewing since day 1. But try being a new fan and getting anything like that. I think it’s fair-ish. 20 bucks or so a game. 

23 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Namu ended up emailing the VP ticketing guy and he got back to say not to worry as there will be price points much lower than $399! Phew

We had a number of Toronto/North York guys who were pretty concerned by that IG pic and the $400, so we reached out by twitter and email, and the Ben Z guy was nice enough to give us a call.

He sounded pretty passionate about the whole project, and he's well aware of the whole situation no doubt, how lagging York is compared to the other clubs at the moment. I do think that, him having worked before at TFC and Caps, that he and his team do know what they are doing for the most part. But I do agree with a comment up-thread from you about how they should have had a presence at the Oakville - Blainville V's game, opportunities like that can't be missed.

But he definitely knows for sure the importance of the supporter section, and said there most certainly will be one for sure, and definitely at a price point much lower than $399. Two thumbs up for sure on that part.

Edited by ironcub14

There are similar concerns with pricing here in Halifax. For the exhibition game (Atlantic Selects vs Fortuna Dusseldorf)  with fees+tax seats in around midfield are $43.75 - towards the ends in the grandstand $32 and supporters bleacher behind the goal $25.50. There is a fair chance tickets will be similar for the Wanderers and sales have been quite slow thus far for the Exhibition game. 

In this market I (and a few others) think the prices may be too high. The top sports team in the city (Junior Hockey) charges $20 fees in for adults. They also have big discounts for students and kids. Not to mention flex packs for down around 15$ a game for adults. I dunno I just hope the league doesn't price itself out of markets before they get going.

Just for fun, I decided to see how much Argos season tickets cost for comparison, since they have a similar length season and don't exactly carry the same prestige as other teams in the city.

You can get seasons behind the end zone at $159 for 9 games ($18/game) and seasons near the 20-yard line at $255 for 9 games ($28/game).

Sure, not far off the York9 per-game prices... until you remember that the Argos' salary is probably 3-4 times higher and your game-day experience is York University rather than BMO.

Hey everyone, honest question here for York 9 fans and people from the York region.

Do you consider yourself a proud York resident or a part of the GTA?

Growing up in Hamilton we definitely felt seperate from the GTA and our own thing but I found people from some regions/cities felt closer to the GTA. Does that feeling apply to the average citizen of york or do you consider yourselves a distinct population?

Asking this honestly and curious to see your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Hey everyone, honest question here for York 9 fans and people from the York region.

Growing up in Hamilton we definitely felt seperate from the GTA and our own thing but I found people from some regions/cities felt closer to the GTA. Does that feeling apply to the average citizen of york or do you consider yourselves a distinct population?

We wouldn't call ourselves part of Toronto, but I don't know of anyone in York Region who would consider themselves outside the GTA.  Maybe the northern end of things, possibly.

If I'm talking to people from the GTHA, I'd say that I'm from my town.  If I'm talking to people from outside the GTHA, I'd say that I'm from Toronto, and then narrow it down as it came up in conversation.  I don't see many situations where "I'm from York Region" would be something coming from my mouth (though it's more likely now than it would've been before the team was announced).

9 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I am pretty sure, pretty confident in saying that, for all 9 municipalities that the York 9 refers to, that people living in those municipalities would say they are from that city first and foremost, when talking with other people in the GTA.

That sounded a bit complicated, but basically, what I meant was, people living in Vaughan are going to say "I'm from Vaughan", and people living in Richmond Hill are going to say "I'm from Richmond Hill", and people living in Newmarket are going to say "I'm from Newmarket".

I've never heard anybody ever say "I'm from the York Region" in my life, the whole concept is a geo-political concept at best that's maybe used by a radio station or a newspaper or two; there really is very little in the sense of a York Region identity. That's why I've always thought that a team playing in Vaughan should just say "we're Vaughan FC".

I would take a strong guess that the same thing applies to Sauga and the Peel Region. Imagine, after all the work that Sauga SG did, a team in Sauga that called itself "Peel 3 FC".

21 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I am pretty sure, pretty confident in saying that, for all 9 municipalities that the York 9 refers to, that people living in those municipalities would say they are from that city first and foremost, when talking with other people in the GTA.

That sounded a bit complicated, but basically, what I meant was, people living in Vaughan are going to say "I'm from Vaughan", and people living in Richmond Hill are going to say "I'm from Richmond Hill", and people living in Newmarket are going to say "I'm from Newmarket".

I've never heard anybody ever say "I'm from the York Region" in my life, the whole concept is a geo-political concept at best that's maybe used by a radio station or a newspaper or two; there really is very little in the sense of a York Region identity. That's why I've always thought that a team playing in Vaughan should just say "we're Vaughan FC".

I would take a strong guess that the same thing applies to Sauga and the Peel Region. Imagine, after all the work that Sauga SG did, a team in Sauga that called itself "Peel 3 FC".

Do you think the branding of York 9 was Ill conceived? 

To your point if they don’t play in Newmarket will someone from Newmarket have any bond to the team or does the idea of York 9 fall flat to them?

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Do you think the branding of York 9 was Ill conceived? 

To your point if they don’t play in Newmarket will someone from Newmarket have any bond to the team or does the idea of York 9 fall flat to them?

Oh, I do think that soccer fans from Newmarket will have bonds to York 9 or the concept of a York Region, I was not saying that at all, though they would obviously say "I'm from Newmarket" rather than "I'm from the York Region".

What I would say is that the name York 9 misses out on the chance to really capitalize on Vaughan city pride.

Just as, if a team in Sauga was named "Peel 3 FC", that you'd have missed out on a chance to really capitalize on the Sauga city pride that's propelling Sauga right now fantastically, because you tried to include Brampton and Caledon somewhat artificially.

A team in Sauga named Sauga FC would still draw Brampton and Caledon fans in, and a team in Vaughan named Vaughan FC would still draw Richmond Hill, Markham and Newmarket fans in, but missing out on that Sauga or Vaughan pride I think leads to a greater loss that results in a net loss overall. Who knows? Doesn't really matter anyways, and I'm not complaining, I just tried to answer your questions the best I could.

Edited by ironcub14

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Oh, I do think that soccer fans from Newmarket will have bonds to York 9 or the concept of a York Region, I was not saying that at all, though they would obviously say "I'm from Newmarket" rather than "I'm from the York Region".

What I would say is that the name York 9 misses out on the chance to really capitalize on Vaughan city pride.

Just as, if a team in Sauga was named "Peel 3 FC", that you'd have missed out on a chance to really capitalize on the Sauga city pride that's propelling Sauga right now fantastically, because you tried to include Brampton and Caledon somewhat artificially.

A team in Sauga named Sauga FC would still draw Brampton and Caledon fans in, and a team in Vaughan named Vaughan FC would still draw Richmond Hill, Markham and Newmarket fans in, but missing out on that Sauga or Vaughan pride I think leads to a greater loss that results in a net loss overall. Who knows? Doesn't really matter anyways, and I'm not complaining, I just tried to answer your questions the best I could.

As an East Coast transplant in Onterrible, I'm actually wondering if they ended up going with York 9 over something Vaughan-related for visibility *outside* the region. Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria and (God willing) Ottawa are all cities with national name recognition, while I can't say I had ever heard of Vaughan, Newmarket, Peel or other GTA sub-communities/regions until I moved. Even then, I couldn't tell you the first thing about any of them or what really differentiates one from another. On the flipside, "York" I instantly recognize because history classes and Heritage Minutes have taught me that it was the original name of the British settlement that eventually came to be known as Toronto.

Seeing as "Toronto" is already used by Toronto FC and the CPL obviously wants to differentiate itself from MLS, "York" makes a lot of sense to me as an alternative for a team located in the GTA. You still know where it's located, it honours the city's/cities' history, and it establishes an identity/branding very separate from Toronto FC. I do hope that the CPL will expand, which I'm sure would lead to other teams being placed in the GTA and I know that that would probably lead to more "local" branding. But for the first CPL team in the area, I totally agree with the decision on York.

I obviously can't speak to how the name is being received within the region, but as an outside observer, I'm definitely a fan. Just my two cents. :) 

Edited by m-g-williams

22 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

As an East Coast transplant in Onterrible, I'm actually wondering if they ended up going with York 9 over something Vaughan-related for visibility *outside* the region. Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria and (God willing) Ottawa are all cities with national name recognition, while I can't say I had ever heard of Vaughan, Newmarket, Peel or other GTA sub-communities/regions until I moved. Even then, I couldn't tell you the first thing about any of them or what really differentiates one from another. On the flipside, "York" I instantly recognize because history classes and Heritage Minutes have taught me that it was the original name of the British settlement that eventually came to be known as Toronto.

Seeing as "Toronto" is already used by Toronto FC and the CPL obviously wants to differentiate itself from MLS, "York" makes a lot of sense to me as an alternative for a team located in the GTA. You still know where it's located, it honours the city's/cities' history, and it establishes an identity/branding very separate from Toronto FC. I do hope that the CPL will expand, which I'm sure would lead to other teams being placed in the GTA and I know that that would probably lead to more "local" branding. But for the first CPL team in the area, I totally agree with the decision on York.

I obviously can't speak to how the name is being received within the region, but as an outside observer, I'm definitely a fan. Just my two cents. :) 

It's an interesting point, and I'll say, I've always thought that a reference to Fort York would be a really cool reference point for a future 2nd Toronto team in the city proper if that ever came to fruition.

Then you've got the boroughs of York, East York and North York in the city proper, and you've got this York Region now which is a descendant of the old York County, which originally back in the 1800s encompassed a ton of what is now the GTA, and etc etc, so I get what you mean by the recognition of "York" among those outside of GTA.

But the club will mainly see whether it thrives by the number of fans attending the game from Vaughan mainly, with Richmond Hill, Markham and North York below that, and then with some fans from other municipalities in the York Region and Toronto and other GTA regions beyond that, like Newmarket and Aurora and maybe Brampton and downtown TO, just guessing. So you know, I can see how it's a fine balance between referring to York vs. referring to Vaughan, and you know, I'm personally fine with the name, but saying that perhaps a reference to Vaughan might have worked out even more. Just from talking to numerous Toronto/GTA CPL supporters, the general sentiment is that the name is just okay at best.

But anyways, the original question was about whether people in York Region identify more with the York Region or with GTA or with their municipality. I think they identify with their municipality the most, then with the GTA, and then lastly with the York Region.

36 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Great point. Always gave to remember that, despite our fixation on Toronto, the league will really sink or swim with the rest of Canada. 

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

It's an interesting point, and I'll say, I've always thought that a reference to Fort York would be a really cool reference point for a future 2nd Toronto team in the city proper if that ever came to fruition.

Then you've got the boroughs of York, East York and North York in the city proper, and you've got this York Region now which is a descendant of the old York County, which originally back in the 1800s encompassed a ton of what is now the GTA, and etc etc, so I get what you mean by the recognition of "York" among those outside of GTA.

But the club will mainly see whether it thrives by the number of fans attending the game from Vaughan mainly, with Richmond Hill, Markham and North York below that, and then with some fans from other municipalities in the York Region and Toronto and other GTA regions beyond that, like Newmarket and Aurora and maybe Brampton and downtown TO, just guessing. So you know, I can see how it's a fine balance between referring to York vs. referring to Vaughan, and you know, I'm personally fine with the name, but saying that perhaps a reference to Vaughan might have worked out even more. Just from talking to numerous Toronto/GTA CPL supporters, the general sentiment is that the name is just okay at best.

But anyways, the original question was about whether people in York Region identify more with the York Region or with GTA or with their municipality. I think they identify with their municipality the most, then with the GTA, and then lastly with the York Region.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree on the need to engage/entice the locals and help them come to embrace the team - I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess I just wasn't expecting the divisions between the constituent communities in the GTA to be so defined that "York" wouldn't do the trick.

As someone that's still figuring out Onterrible, this is actually interesting to learn about. I guess I (perhaps naively assumed) assumed the constituent communities/regions would still identify with a regional moniker despite having their own identities. I've always found how people identify with certain things (area, language, culture, etc.) fascinating, so this is just one more Wikipedia rabbit-hole for me to dive into. :P

Edited by m-g-williams

6 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Very well put. Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is it just me, or should they at least mention the game will be on? Is that so implied that it doesn’t rate a mention?

I know we shouldn't be quick to judge but these guys are a disaster.  It seems like this group is severely out of their depth and naive.  When I heard Jimmy Brennan was involved my first impression wasn't great to be honest, based on how he got tossed out at TFC even as a club legend.  And who is his partner?  Neither of them seem engaged at a level that this league requires - more like they're promoting a new Jr B hockey team.  The lack of memberships speaks for itself - less than 200 is shameful, and less than 600-700 should be shameful as well.  

I just hope that Victoria with Rob Friend/Josh Simpson isn't the same and they're up to the task of promoting a professional club.  Because, it's not easy - you need to be out there and in people's face 24/7.  It's more than a 30 second clip and a couple detailed cars.  

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is it just me, or should they at least mention the game will be on? Is that so implied that it doesn’t rate a mention?

I think they should mention it.  If that was how they promoted the event here in Winnipeg, I would be hesitant to go if I wasn't sure I could see the game.

Edited by MrsC
typo

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I know we shouldn't be quick to judge but these guys are a disaster.  It seems like this group is severely out of their depth and naive.  When I heard Jimmy Brennan was involved my first impression wasn't great to be honest, based on how he got tossed out at TFC even as a club legend.  And who is his partner?  Neither of them seem engaged at a level that this league requires - more like they're promoting a new Jr B hockey team.  The lack of memberships speaks for itself - less than 200 is shameful, and less than 600-700 should be shameful as well.  

I just hope that Victoria with Rob Friend/Josh Simpson isn't the same and they're up to the task of promoting a professional club.  Because, it's not easy - you need to be out there and in people's face 24/7.  It's more than a 30 second clip and a couple detailed cars.  

Jim Brennan got my spidey sense tingling, too.

York 9 seem like they will be the most problematic club, at this extremely early stage.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

It's so obviously implied that it doesn't rate a mention. Everybody in Vaughan and the York Region knows Dave and Buster's is the biggest sports/gaming bar in the entire GTA lol.

9 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Jim Brennan got my spidey sense tingling, too.

York 9 seem like they will be the most problematic club, at this extremely early stage.

I get the feeling that York9 will make the biggest splash in signing players when the time comes. No reason in particular, just a feeling.?