York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Just now, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Am I being too critical to say that a part owner / part manager is some really bad optics?   We don't know the behind the scenes, and I honestly don't know how good of a manager he is, but it sure raises some eyebrows.

No?

it looks very wonky and blah. like shit, he does have the cv for it but fuck this looks kiddish

5 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Official, Brennan is head coach.

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/video/jimmy-brennan-aims-to-unite-york-region-with-attractive-brand-of-soccer

Is it just me, or is having one of the owners of your club being named coach sounds extremely junior league?

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Brennen is owner-exec-coach. It's not exactly a good look

5 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Am I being too critical to say that a part owner / part manager is some really bad optics?   We don't know the behind the scenes, and I honestly don't know how good of a manager he is, but it sure raises some eyebrows.

Bad optics for sure. My thought is that you hire the best available coach available on the market within your available budget. I doubt that's Brennan. Is it a financial thing where he's paid as an executive/owner but coaches for free to free cash in other areas? Maybe. There could be some logic to this.

Just hoping that he'll fire himself if that's what good for the team

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Bad optics for sure. My thought is that you hire the best available coach available on the market within your available budget. I doubt that's Brennan. Is it a financial thing where he's paid as an executive/owner but coaches for free to free cash in other areas? Maybe. There could be some logic to this.

Just hoping that he'll fire himself if that's what good for the team

Yeah, that's my main concern. It looks cheap, and if the team is struggling, will he be held accountable by the ownership?

That being said, when Patrick Roy was both coach and co-owner of the Québec Remparts, they had a ton of success (for multiple reasons), though that does not contradict my initial reaction of it seeming minor league...

6 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Yeah, that's my main concern. It looks cheap, and if the team is struggling, will he be held accountable by the ownership?

That being said, when Patrick Roy was both coach and co-owner of the Québec Remparts, they had a ton of success (for multiple reasons), though that does not contradict my initial reaction of it seeming minor league...

Brennan is no Patrick Roy ?

I think Blainville did the same (Armada)...

We'll have to see, if he's that good of a coach but the team's definitely at a disadvantage in that area over their rivals

While other teams are putting together impressive launches, support and marketing I have to ask...

Was there ever a plan in York? It seems like they're making it up as they go along. Considering they're in the most competitive market in the Country it makes even less sense.

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

Further to that point, what qualifies Brennan for the position? When did he prove himself to be a successful or heck, even just competent coach?

Hope someone close with Aurora can answer this.

Either way, w/e, I'll back him but I hope any owner is willing to step away from a management role if they feel it's not working.  I'm sure(?) this was discussed prior to the hiring.

Edited by zeelaw

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Further to that point, what qualifies Brennan for the position? When did he prove himself to be a successful or heck, even just competent coach?

other than hart has anyone proven themselves? if brennen was just hired i think most would be fine with it. he's worked as a coach for years but it's the side position that makes this blah

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

other than hart has anyone proven themselves? if brennen was just hired i think most would be fine with it.

You got Tommy in Calgary who's got a sucessful PDL team, The guy who ran the FC Academy in Edmonton

Brennan...who was on the board at Aurora?

He's pulling a Mo Johnson on Y9

5 minutes ago, matty said:

other than hart has anyone proven themselves? if brennen was just hired i think most would be fine with it. he's worked as a coach for years but it's the side position that makes this blah

I think Wheeldon in Calgary has earned it I would say

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

hummm...

He was asked who would be the rivals to York 9. He said:

• Hamilton
  • TFC in V Cup
  • OTTAWA ?

The league should stop trying to hide it

lol i kind of like how they threat it. it's like the cpl's alan smithee everyone is in on the joke.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Brennan is no Patrick Roy ?

I think Blainville did the same (Armada)...

We'll have to see, if he's that good of a coach but the team's definitely at a disadvantage in that area over their rivals

Oh, 100% agree. It was just the only situation I could think of.

For Blainville, I know Joël Bouchard was team President, but I never knew if he was actually part owner of the team (they have a bunch of former players who are minority owners if I recall...)

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

He is a former high profile CMNT player and was the first signing made by TFC, but that was over a decade ago now and even three years often stretches the collective memory span of Canadian soccer to breaking point. The narrative around this is probably still supposed to be the giving opportunities to domestic players angle, but that hasn't been gaining any traction so far in this particular market, so this is a sign that they are not changing direction yet in marketing strategy terms.

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

You got Tommy in Calgary who's got a sucessful PDL team, The guy who ran the FC Academy in Edmonton

Brennan...who was on the board at Aurora?

He's pulling a Mo Johnson on Y9

PDL isn't 'senior' level nor is an academy coach. Brennen was an assistant with TFC's management for several years.

I think it's safe to say that the CPL will be a kind of proving ground for Canadian coaches to get their feet wet at the senior level and there's nothing wrong with that

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

PDL isn't senior level not is an academy coach. Brennen was an assistant with TFC's management for several years.

Fair point but they've lead teams, they have credibility in their market.

Brennan? Not so much.

This team just has to get their crap together on every level.