York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

21 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Oh no, what’s tfc gonna do to retaliate? Lower their prices? 

TFC are the ones who need to be scared here because a cheaper option is available.  What are they going to do promote tfc at the same prices? It’s not like people don’t know about tfc in York but there are sure as hell a bunch of people in Toronto who aren’t happy with tfc prices and want a cheaper option. 

I guess years of ripping people off to watch the one option suddenly doesn’t look so good. Poor MLSE this isn’t the NHL where you can claim a whole market and gouge people for 100 years and destroy a sport.

Just like Montreal Impact, it's not like they actively tried to to draw outside of the city. I just think that it would be a bad move for York 9 to give them a reason to start doing that.

There's tons of way to spin a marketing message and I wouldn't put it pass TFC to use negative marketing towards York 9 or CPL. We all know too well about Bill Manning TFC III comment. Getting CPL and York 9 over is a tough order as it is, fighting TFC on top of it would be a waste of funds and energy when you don't have too to begin with.

They aree clearly playing the long game here knowing the end game. A gorgeous stadium, in an populated area, far away enough from TFC. Again, the stadium that will make other cities simply drool. Hell, I want one of those in Downview Park for a North York club.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Just like Montreal Impact, it's not like they actively tried to to draw outside of the city. I just think that it would be a bad move for York 9 to give them a reason to start doing that.

There's tons of way to spin a marketing message and I wouldn't put it pass TFC to use negative marketing towards York 9 or CPL. We all know too well about Bill Manning TFC III comment. Getting CPL and York 9 over is a tough order as it is, fighting TFC on top of it would be a waste of funds and energy when you don't have too to begin with.

They aree clearly playing the long game here knowing the end game. A gorgeous stadium, in an populated area, far away enough from TFC. Again, the stadium that will make other cities simply drool. Hell, I want one of those in Downview Park for a North York club.

York 9 / CanPL will not live or die by way of marketing wrt to MLS/TFC.   

It survives by a core of people who make a conscious choice to support it.   

1 minute ago, admin said:

York 9 / CanPL will not live or die by way of marketing wrt to MLS/TFC.   

It survives by a core of people who make a conscious choice to support it.   

I don't disagree with that. Like I had said, I'm not worry about it one bit. I understand what York 9 is doing and their plan seems sound.

To the contrary I think CPL would love it if TFC came after them. Free marketing - it’s like a prominent rapper dissing an up and comer, it’s only going to help them. Not to mention fuel to the fire for derbies... it will only serve to legitamize CPL and when CPL teams start to knock off MLS clubs you’ll have a lot of head scratching among casuals “well why are we paying so much for tfc?”

Ultimately I agree with Jamie’s assessment but I don’t see many avenues for tfc to negatively affect these teams but plenty the other way. 

https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/17/14647630/toronto-fc-bill-manning-canadian-premier-league-cpl-issues-not-subtle-warning

its funny reading bills comments now.. sounds like a scared man.  Tfc 3 lmao if he actually thought that he wouldn’t be involved in football at all because that would make him clueless... Bill knows they are in a gold mine and it’s suddenly time to compete and there’s no Don Garber or USSF to protect MLS up here.  The strong arming they use down there to destroy dreams and filter everyone to one team just isn’t possible up here.  Long term what does that mean?  Well if CPL is successful you have to imagine that in a decade or two MTL Van and Toronto will be in CPL. 

Edited by Keegan

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

To the contrary I think CPL would love it if TFC came after them. Free marketing - it’s like a prominent rapper dissing an up and comer, it’s only going to help them. Not to mention fuel to the fire for derbies... it will only serve to legitamize CPL and when CPL teams start to knock off MLS clubs you’ll have a lot of head scratching among casuals “well why are we paying so much for tfc?”

Ultimately I agree with Jamie’s assessment but I don’t see many avenues for tfc to negatively affect these teams but plenty the other way. 

https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/17/14647630/toronto-fc-bill-manning-canadian-premier-league-cpl-issues-not-subtle-warning

its funny reading bills comments now.. sounds like a scared man.  Tfc 3 lmao if he actually thought that he wouldn’t be involved in football at all because that would make him clueless... Bill knows they are in a gold mine and it’s suddenly time to compete and there’s no Don Garber or USSF to protect MLS up here.  The strong arming they use down there to destroy dreams and filter everyone to one team just isn’t possible up here.  Long term what does that mean?  Well if CPL is successful you have to imagine that in a decade or two MTL Van and Toronto will be in CPL. 

Preach brother.

I said it before previously how the CPL can usher in a new era for professional sports in North America, one that doesn’t rely on price gouging and monopolies but an actual community/supporter driven machine. MLS says they do this but it’s just a smoke screen for them. 

Edited by Macksam

I cannot realistic see TFC going for the CanPL anytime soon. You could imagine if it's a big succes, and seeing the expansion fees in MLS, that a Saputo would be tempted to sell his franchise to one of the US markets that are unable to get in MLS otherwise. But TFC, with all the money behind them, no way. There's no need to. Goes for the Whitecap as well especially since there's a group behind them with all different interests. 

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

How does MTL fair revenue wise in MLs ? And I’m not sure CPL would want saputo in it given how he’s ran his teams...

A deep pocketed and passionate owner.. this isn’t single entity what do they care if they win or not? He would be amazing for the league.

19 hours ago, Macksam said:

Preach brother.

I said it before previously how the CPL can usher in a new era for professional sports in North America, one that doesn’t rely on price gouging and monopolies but an actual community/supporter driven machine. MLS says they do this but it’s just a smoke screen for them. 

Oh yes MLS loves to ride the backs of their supporters until they become mainstream and they don’t need them anymore - but they’ll still use them in promo videos.  It’s all so phony and generic.. which you could live with if the MLS wasn’t intent on destroying all competition outside of their feeder clubs.   

It's all very well to laugh, but they have to make a bit of an effor to get the interest up. I'm a bit surprised by the passivity.

-be more active on social media, that means multiple times daily at least. Designate 2-3 people to speak regularly, and get articles in local press as well, radio

-be more creative with marketing, use the 9 concept, ie, create a rivalry or contest between the various municipalities in the "9" to see who gets the most supporters committed. Or, organize a supporter's soccer tournament one weekend. 

-strengthen merchanising by doing promos

I think it is no crisis yet the slow response, perhaps it is understandable, but part of the core has to come now, even if it is 800-1000 total fans considering many pre-sales might mean more than 1 ticket.

As I've said, I believe that the teams being relatively quiet post launch is a league thing.  Everyone gets their week in the spotlight and then go away for the next team.  Everything seems to indicate the real big push will come during the World Cup and after it

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it is no crisis yet the slow response, perhaps it is understandable, but part of the core has to come now, even if it is 800-1000 total fans considering many pre-sales might mean more than 1 ticket.

At the very least it calls into the question the need for 12,000 as the capacity for the stadium they are talking about building. At best they are probably looking at 350 or so on season tickets so far. Given how many GTA based people have been strongly pushing CanPL on here and elsewhere, the silence from some of them in terms of pushing the merits of this particular team passionately now that it has actually been announced is deafening.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

At the very least it calls into the question the need for 12,000 as the capacity for the stadium they are talking about building. At best they are probably looking at 350 or so on season tickets so far. Given how many GTA based people have been strongly pushing CanPL on here and elsewhere, the silence from some of them in terms of pushing the merits of this particular team passionately now that it has actually been announced is deafening.

Yeah, the team has been announced. Why would we need to be pushing the merits of having a team in the GTA when it’s already been announced?

Edited by Macksam

As a Caps supporter I could honestly say if I had another option I'd occasionally take it. Since the product on the field is mediocre it matters little to me if CPL is objectively inferior. York9 has to understand this: many fans want to give kids or dad a proper experience and in the end the footballing difference between MLS and CPL won't justify the ticket price difference, parking costs, 9 buck beers, being nagged for merchandise. 

Now when I'm in Van I can walk to BC Place. So that is a plus. But honestly? I'm sure I'd drive or skytrain 45 min to see CPL if it comes to the Fraser Valley some year. 

Conclusion: CPL in the GTA is definitely a potential rival to TFC. And if that's the case with an eminently watchable team like they are, all the more so in greater MTL or Van.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist