York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

On merit or because that was part of the agreement when he signed? They'd be better off with a guy like Jason Bent that has been consistently rated through all the management and coaching changes at BMO Field.

I agree Bent would be a better pick but oh well.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

Fair point but they've lead teams, they have credibility in their market.

Brennan? Not so much.

This team just has to get their crap together on every level.

Agree to all this too. Brennan is really going to have to prove haters wrong fast because of his various roles otherwise he looks like an egomaniac.

They best be spending on players.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think Wheeldon in Calgary has earned it I would say

I think he's earned a shot like everyone else who has been hired even Brennen.

SIDE NOTE: Happy everyone is Canadian so far and kind of shocked.

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

On merit or because that was part of the agreement when he signed? They'd be better off with a guy like Jason Bent that has been consistently rated through all the management and coaching changes at BMO Field.

I cant see Bent going to CPL right away.  Being an MLS assistant (second time round) is nothing to sneeze at, and I think there might be a little 2 way loyalty there with TFC.  Personally I'd like to see any guy with a job already (DosSantos, Bent, Koch) stay there and give some new blood a shot. But

I am very surprised at the Brennan hate on here.  If he is a part (i am assuming tiny minority) owner and one of the more knowledgable soccer minds there, why not let him coach too?  Better than him second guessing and jumping all over someone else they might bring eh??

I noticed 'CI' in the group of white shirts York 9 presenters.  That is obviously Carmine Isacco who is currently coach of Vaughan Azzurri in League 1 Ontario plus 'master coach' of the York University men's and women's teams.  

http://yorkulions.ca/coaches.aspx?rc=815&path=msoccer

I e-mailed them where the conference was going to be three days ago but received no reply and I had not idea it was held in Markham.  I don't know who the reporters were except new Can Prem media hire Kurt Lawson was mentioned in the questions.  I wasn't sure if it was Laura Armstrong from the Star (blonde lady in the white pants)--isn't there a baseball game tonight?  The Star is down to half a reporter for soccer.    How much coverage does the team think they'll be getting?  

Brennan has coaching experience with Toronto FC Academy http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports11/11csl019.htm   before his time with Aurora FC of L1O (which some Voyageurs  on here said was only part time).  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

... I am very surprised at the Brennan hate on here.  If he is a part (i am assuming tiny minority) owner and one of the more knowledgable soccer minds there, why not let him coach too?  Better than him second guessing and jumping all over someone else they might bring eh??

Some of the people posting in that vein are probably too young to remember when he was at Nottingham Forest and Norwich and view him as some washed up has been at a struggling L1O team. Thought it was obvious he was the coach in waiting from the moment his involvement there was confirmed, because having a high profile ex-CMNT player as the coach to create an obvious point of difference from the MLS approach in the GTA was the only reason to hire him and give him an ownership stake.

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

Official, Brennan is head coach.

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/video/jimmy-brennan-aims-to-unite-york-region-with-attractive-brand-of-soccer

Is it just me, or is having one of the owners of your club being named coach sounds extremely junior league?

Brennan just wants his owner salary and his manager salary. ;)   I wonder if they'll end up with enough season ticket holders to even cover his cost, let alone anyone else's.

OFFC has season tickets for $400, same as York's proposed number, though the Fury also has discounted tickets for $250 closer to the goal line as well as a youth rate (I'd be shocked if York doesn't have a youth rate though it's kind of odd there hasn't been one mentioned so far).  OFFC also gets you 19 games right now (vs CPL's 16) and a better experience than the York Lions stadium - not to mention a proven product.

We'll have to see if they start re-evaluating their price once the volume doesn't show up, because it doesn't exactly seem like it's going to be a hot ticket item.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Some of the people posting in that vein are probably too young to remember when he was at Nottingham Forest and Norwich and view him as some washed up has been at a struggling L1O team. Thought it was obvious he was the coach in waiting from the moment his involvement there was confirmed, because having a high profile ex-CMNT player as the coach to create an obvious point of difference from the MLS approach in the GTA was the only reason to hire him and give him an ownership stake.

no i think most people are right to be worried about the optics of a player-owner. i'm with you in that i don't think he isn't fit but i do think there is an optics issue to his roles.

39 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

...  I am very surprised at the Brennan hate on here.  If he is a part (i am assuming tiny minority) owner and one of the more knowledgable soccer minds there, why not let him coach too?  Better than him second guessing and jumping all over someone else they might bring eh??

I don't think it's hate as much as worry for said optics or that he pulls a Gretzky and doesn't exit the role if he sucks at it.

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Question: Does anyone know if York 9 did like Halifax, Winnipeg and Edmonton and invited kids with local clubs to the announcement, or was it just for media and management? If the latter, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

they invited 50 young players i think

I’m wondering will Brennan tell his players they should play for the love of the game like he told his Aurora L 1  players when he was the so called coach of the Aurora L 1 team, while he was making over 100 000 a year as the Aurora youth soccer club Cheif Executive , it’s funny Aurora had all that money to pay Brennan all that money but had no money for their L 1 team lol, soccer  in Canada eh lol and we wonder why we have we have not made the Hex for so long never mind the World Cup and why with all the registered youth soccer players  we have not produced more players , hopefully things are changing but just think of all the wasted years and waisted money.

I think, if you look at it from a casual fan's perspective, that Brennan does actually make sense, notwithstanding whatever's happened at Aurora, which no casual fans are gonna know about anyways. I was passing by a TV an hour ago and saw Brennan being announced as York 9 manager show up as one of the repeating headlines on CP24, along with other Toronto sports news and the big local news here today lol.

Still, from a mainstream POV, Brennan does make more sense than Bent or Isacco, we all know his playing accomplishments here, and casual CPL fans will as well. And I can't imagine him having enough capital to be more than a small minority owner in the York Sports and Entertainment thing. There definitely will be some conflict of interest later on when he does have to go as manager eventually, but I think the name recognition on something casual like a CP24 headline and other similar things like that is unfortunately the type of publicity that York needs at the moment, for the tradeoff of the conflicts that may definitely arise later on.

Being a head coach/owner is not that uncommon — plenty of historical examples in pro sports and lots of successful ones recently in junior hockey. And in some cases in junior they've pulled back and hired other people to be their head coach. 

I understand that it looks like a lazy/easy hire, but Brennan was an assistant coach in MLS. That's more than some CPL head coaches will be able to say. And I think in hiring Isacco as his assistant (and I think Isacco would have been a reasonable head coaching hire on his own) makes this far more palatable. It wouldn't surprise me if Isacco has a little more on his plate than most assistant coaches normally do. 

cheers, matthew

@1996I have no ideas if the accusations on Brennan in League 1 are true or not but if they are why haven’t you gone to the media with your proof and have them expose how horrible you allege he is rather then just repeat it over and over on here? Without proof other than your word it is pretty slanderous in my opinion 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Guess that tells us you are not an inside source.

No I'm definitely not an inside source, my apologies for coming off that way. But I am very surprised with the move to be honest, I was thinking it was going to be Isacco. 

I think Brennan is a good choice.  He’s a household name in Toronto soccer circles and one of the better players Canada has produced.  

I worry about York9.  They’re in the most competitive and important market in Canada and they need to be a successful market for the CPL.  It’s still very early but so far they haven’t made a big splash yet.  There’s still lots of time to turn that around.

The other new markets should all be slam dunk successes because they don’t have the same level of competition for viewing dollars as Toronto.

Having Brennan spearhead the team was a good choice from the get go and now they’re doubling down.  

I really hope this works out.

Wow, what a horrible hire. While I don't regret getting membership, it becoming harder and harder to be enthusiastic about this project.

The only saving grace is the coaching team put together alongside Brennan. Issaco really should be the head coach with his extensive knowledge of local talents and his proven success at the L1O and USports levels. 

But who the heck is Ryan Brennan? Did Jim hire his brother?

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

I’m wondering will Brennan tell his players they should play for the love of the game like he told his Aurora L 1  players when he was the so called coach of the Aurora L 1 team, while he was making over 100 000 a year as the Aurora youth soccer club Cheif Executive , it’s funny Aurora had all that money to pay Brennan all that money but had no money for their L 1 team lol, soccer  in Canada eh lol and we wonder why we have we have not made the Hex for so long never mind the World Cup and why with all the registered youth soccer players  we have not produced more players , hopefully things are changing but just think of all the wasted years and waisted money.

We've seen this pattern in Canada too much, not just with Brennan. Many youth clubs have relatively high paid technical directors, when the overall level is just mediocre. Sorry to say, but those clubs often charge a hell of a lot to kids in the academies. And you have these unnatural gaps between someone's salary and the dedication the rest have to put into it. Don't like it either. 

A person who has this contradictory profile is Thomas Neindorf with his Pacific Soccer Institute, just seeing what they charge and what they could honestly promise their kids make you think there is something entirely unethical going on. In that line, for the same reasons, I would not like to see Niendorf at Pacific FC, though the coincidence in the name is worrisome, frankly.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

... I would not like to see Niendorf at Pacific FC, though the coincidence in the name is worrisome, frankly.

Pretty sure it is a total coincidence. The name came up from one of us at the session we had with the owners with Peter Schaad et al from the league "identity team" at the Bard and Banker. I did not see him at the launch event nor has there been even the smallest hint they are considering him.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Pretty sure it is a total coincidence. The name came up from one of us at the session we had with the owners with Peter Schaad et al from the league "identity team" at the Bard and Banker. I did not see him at the launch event nor has there been even the smallest hint they are considering him.

Look, I think he is totally competent as a coach. 

What bugs me is these guys who are making a considerable amount off preying on kids and their families, who pay huge sums to get supposedly European coaching. In academies who play no competition and do not test their effectivity, since that would prove that the price being paid is not justified. 

And it is totally bogus, it is tantamount to a fraud. So for me, he is being fraudulent to make a living, and that should be isolated and called out. I don't want people like that in the CPL, there are plenty of competent guys out there who have taken a higher road and have honoured the game fully.

7 hours ago, matty said:

no i think most people are right to be worried about the optics of a player-owner. i'm with you in that i don't think he isn't fit but i do think there is an optics issue to his roles.

I don't think it's hate as much as worry for said optics or that he pulls a Gretzky and doesn't exit the role if he sucks at it.

I think the optics are that no one can actually tell if he's fit/the best man for the job BECAUSE he's also the owner.  There's a conflict there that didn't need to exist.

And for those saying "it happens all the time in Junior hockey", that's sort of the point here.  The league is trying to avoid looking "junior" in anything, and a move like this doesn't help that perception.