York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

I missed the announcement today, so nice to hear that Isacco is an assistant at least.

For those that think it’s good to get Brennan because of his name recognition, I kinda doubt we will see a significant uptick in memberships in the coming days. Hopefully he gets some good results, because that is what this team will actually need out of its coach.

Edited by Kent

York 9 are going to be Argos of CPL...lol

But on serious note, I am not surprised about lack of interest from people living in that region.  

If CPL is going to be successful in GTA, then it will be bigger GTA cities like Mississauga that do well in the stands.  

8 hours ago, TFC07 said:

York 9 are going to be Argos of CPL...lol

But on serious note, I am not surprised about lack of interest from people living in that region.  

If CPL is going to be successful in GTA, then it will be bigger GTA cities like Mississauga that do well in the stands.  

So many say that but no one ever actually says why so why? I really want to know cause the Steelheads are one of the worst OHL draws.

1 hour ago, matty said:

So many say that but no one ever actually says why so why? I really want to know cause the Steelheads are one of the worst OHL draws.

Junior hockey always been a failure in GTA. (Brampton and Mississauga) 

The reason Mississauga will succeed because people there have pride for their city and soccer is massive in that market.   Also, Mississauga is one of those so called urban suburb town. Plus, Raptors 905 team plays in that city and they're doing reasonably well.

York region is more rural and a lot of people living there view themselves more as part of Toronto than part of York region.  This is reason why York9 is struggling to get people to buy into their club.  Funny enough, I feel like junior hockey will do well in that region than soccer. lol

Edited by TFC07

1 hour ago, TFC07 said:

Junior hockey always been a failure in GTA. (Brampton and Mississauga) 

The reason Mississauga will succeed because people there have pride for their city and soccer is massive in that market.   Also, Mississauga is one of those so called urban suburb town. Plus, Raptors 905 team plays in that city and they're doing reasonably well.

York region is more rural and a lot of people living there view themselves more as part of Toronto than part of York region.  This is reason why York9 is struggling to get people to buy into their club.  Funny enough, I feel like junior hockey will do well in that region than soccer. lol

Not always, the Icedogs had a good few years and if we factor in Jr. A. Newmarket is a decent draw for that level.

I'm sorry but a lot of what you've said isn't backed up by numbers or a lot of things that have happened. You've painted York as not having its own identity while claiming Mississauga does which is flawed because both regions (Peel and York, Sauga included) typical follow the same trends for things like voting. I also doubt someone from say Aurora sees themselves as a Torontonian. It's also weird you make that claim because you also cite a Toronto farm team which isn't branded as Toronto-suburb rather than Mississauga. Both areas do live in the Toronto shadow greatly but both also do their own thing.

Re: 905. I've never actually seen any numbers printed anywhere for there regular attendance (aside from that one game). If you have them please post (power too).

You also mention soccer and I would again say both on paper are about on par in terms of youth attention and League 1 (2 in Sauga 5 in York [2 in both Vaughan and Markham], again no idea about attendance).

I think you also misread why the struggle but the team unlike others was kind of just dropped without the years of hype the others had and given maybe the most wonky name in all of Canadian sports. The entire operation has seemed off and none of that is linked to location. There's also a good chance the team is about having a being in the GTA rather than being a popular fixture for the first several years. 

I'm not trying to start shit but I don't get the logic of Mississauga as a magic market that will break the CPL in the GTA.

Honestly, one thing I take from the OHL numbers here is maybe when they talk multiple teams GTA, maybe they're thinking somewhere like Oshawa which is far enough from Toronto-proper it can be 'truly free' of TFC (in a way Sauga, Vaughan and Markham are not) and that's proven a draw in other arenas like the OHL.

Edited by matty

I am  out going to waste my time since you haven't done your research but a lot of things you say doesn't make sense. (Google is your friend) 

1. Mississauga has been trying to get out of Peel region for a while because they feel like a city of own identity and want to have their own services instead of sharing it with rest of region. Not only that, but they even try to get rid of "Welcome to Toronto" signs in Pearson airport and try to replace with Welcome to Mississauga signs not too long ago.  What other evidence you want here? 

2. Raptors 905: https://raptors905.gleague.nba.com/raptors-905-faqs/

This will answer your questions about 905 identity and how they market themselves.  

3.  I am not sure why you bringing hockey into this because that sport isn't popular in Mississauga.  Soccer is completely different sport for completely different demographic.  Not only that, but CPL is marketing themselves as tier one league not junior league.  But if you want go that route then how come TFC2 failed so miserably in Vaughan?  Vaughan and rest of region already prove they can't support pro soccer.  So York9 struggling shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  Using semi pro leagues with audience of family and friends in the attendance isn't good measuring stick.  

4. York region (especially Vaughan) have always consider themsevles part of Toronto.  Do you remember what Vaughan old city motto? Now they got TTC subway running in their city, they probably feel more part of Toronto.  

Re: 905. I've never actually seen any numbers printed anywhere for there regular attendance (aside from that one game). If you have them please post (power too).

You also mention soccer and I would again say both on paper are about on par in terms of youth attention and League 1 (2 in Sauga 5 in York [2 in both Vaughan and Markham], again no idea about attendance).

I think you also misread why the struggle but the team unlike others was kind of just dropped without the years of hype the others had and given maybe the most wonky name in all of Canadian sports. The entire operation has seemed off and none of that is linked to location. There's also a good chance the team is about having a being in the GTA rather than being a popular fixture for the first several years. 

I'm not trying to start shit but I don't get the logic of Mississauga as a magic market that will break the CPL in the GTA.

Honestly, one thing I take from the OHL numbers here is maybe when they talk multiple teams GTA, maybe they're thinking somewhere like Oshawa which is far enough from Toronto-proper it can be 'truly free' of TFC (in a way Sauga, Vaughan and Markham are not) and that's proven a draw in other arenas like the OHL.

1 hour ago, TFC07 said:

I am  out going to waste my time since you haven't done your research but a lot of things you say doesn't make sense. (Google is your friend) 

1. Mississauga has been trying to get out of Peel region for a while because they feel like a city of own identity and want to have their own services instead of sharing it with rest of region. Not only that, but they even try to get rid of "Welcome to Toronto" signs in Pearson airport and try to replace with Welcome to Mississauga signs not too long ago.  What other evidence you want here? 

This will answer your questions about 905 identity and how they market themselves.  

3.  I am not sure why you bringing hockey into this because that sport isn't popular in Mississauga.  Soccer is completely different sport for completely different demographic.  Not only that, but CPL is marketing themselves as tier one league not junior league.  But if you want go that route then how come TFC2 failed so miserably in Vaughan?  Vaughan and rest of region already prove they can't support pro soccer.  So York9 struggling shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  Using semi pro leagues with audience of family and friends in the attendance isn't good measuring stick.  

4. York region (especially Vaughan) have always consider themsevles part of Toronto.  Do you remember what Vaughan old city motto? Now they got TTC subway running in their city, they probably feel more part of Toronto.  

Without disagreeing with what you said, can we shed this collective belief engrained in our collective minds by American leagues and commissioners not giving a crap about Canada, that Toronto can't support more than one club?

TFC=Rangers

Mississauga=Islanders

York 9=Devils

No?

York will be hard but it's early, they aren't even playing in Vaughan for a few years but it's insanity to believe that the GTA can only support TFC.

How about we talk about ways to get involved and help instead of drowning in negativity and writing the team's obituary by listing all the virus that led it to an early grave?

I put money down on tickets and talk my lungs out about CPL, York 9 and York U stadium.

It's a Canadian thing, right?

Edited by Ansem

8 hours ago, TFC07 said:

Dude I honestly think you just are shitting on York cause the cpl felt they were the best market at the moment. Do you honestly think tfc2 proves a market will fail? Do you think a team in sauga with the same pitch as York 9 would be a smash or that tfc2 in sauga would succeed? Do you have numbers? Did you read the raptor 905 page? I asked for evidence of why it is a magic market and you've  given none man.

I would love a team there and support it but am baffled by blind dismissing of this market.

Edited by matty

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Without disagreeing with what you said, can we shed this collective belief engrained in our collective minds by American leagues and commissioners not giving a crap about Canada, that Toronto can't support more than one club?

TFC=Rangers

Mississauga=Islanders

York 9=Devils

No?

York will be hard but it's early, they aren't even playing in Vaughan for a few years but it's insanity to believe that the GTA can only support TFC.

How about we talk about ways to get involved and help instead of drowning in negativity and writing the team's obituary by listing all the virus that led it to an early grave?

I put money down on tickets and talk my lungs out about CPL, York 9 and York U stadium.

It's a Canadian thing, right?

I'll  be there when I can and will buy a shirt for sure. 

Also add oshawa (as the flyers),  there might be something there.

My interview with York 9 assistant coach Carmine Isacco after the Woodbridge Strikers vs Vaughan Azzurri  (he's head coach) League 1 Ontario game on Sunday July 29, 2018.  

topics covered in the four minutes:

The questions were how he was recruited to the team, how he could fit the time in

or would he drop duties he has right now coaching the Vaughan Azzurri of League

1 Ontario and the Men's and Women's soccer teams at York University. Finally if

he thinks any of the players from L1O will be able to make the jump to the new

league.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o161.htm  

for details on the game itself Woodbridge won 4-3 you can check the now forgotten other forum 'Canadian Teams and Leagues' in about two days for a link (also for the TFC III vs Pro Stars FC game).   

23 hours ago, matty said:

Dude I honestly think you just are shitting on York cause the cpl felt they were the best market at the moment. Do you honestly think tfc2 proves a market will fail? Do you think a team in sauga with the same pitch as York 9 would be a smash or that tfc2 in sauga would succeed? Do you have numbers? Did you read the raptor 905 page? I asked for evidence of why it is a magic market and you've  given none man.

I would love a team there and support it but am baffled by blind dismissing of this market.

I'm still baffled by the comment that York Region is "rural".  I can only imagine they're looking at the Oak Ridges Moraine?  That's like looking at Caledon to determine if Peel is rural.

Here's the full York 9 FC staff:

Jim Brennan - EVP, Director of Soccer/ Head Coach (Newmarket)

Carmine Isacco - Assistant Head Coach (Markham)

Sergio De Luca - First Team Coach (Richmond Hill)

Ryan Brennan - Team Manager ( Newmarket)

Kosta Poulos - First Team Strength and Conditioning Coach ( Markham)

Luca Forno - Equipment Manager ( Richmond Hill)

Poulos has been with the TFC Academy in the same role. De Luca played for the Lynx, CPSL and in Hungary. He and Forno both played under Isacco  and have been on the staff at Vaughan SC and York U respectively.

cheers, matthew

1 hour ago, matthew said:

Here's the full York 9 FC staff:

Jim Brennan - EVP, Director of Soccer/ Head Coach (Newmarket)

Carmine Isacco - Assistant Head Coach (Markham)

Sergio De Luca - First Team Coach (Richmond Hill)

Ryan Brennan - Team Manager ( Newmarket)

Kosta Poulos - First Team Strength and Conditioning Coach ( Markham)

Luca Forno - Equipment Manager ( Richmond Hill)

Poulos has been with the TFC Academy in the same role. De Luca played for the Lynx, CPSL and in Hungary. He and Forno both played under Isacco  and have been on the staff at Vaughan SC and York U respectively.

cheers, matthew

Is "assistant head coach" soccer terminology of which I am unaware, or is it something unusual?

31 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Is "assistant head coach" soccer terminology of which I am unaware, or is it something unusual?

Sounds like Carmine is on the bench with Jim Brennan up in the stands half the time trying to sell tickets and organize the half-time show. I'm assuming that's one of Brennan's brothers who is the Team Manager.

How can York be so far behind the 8 Ball compared to the CPL teams when they are the ones actually playing in a MLS market. I honestly thought they would have an aggressive marketing push right out of the gate to sell memberships/tickets, bringing awareness to the brand. 

This is a major market and the CPL definitely will not want the black eye of failing it. You have to make people want to go especially when they have the option of TFC.

Have I missed the boat?? Are York behind the 8ball?? They have front office, nice colors, nice logo.  Is it the low membership numbers?  It is probably a little easier to get guys to buy into a new club in Halifax, Wpg etc, when there is no other option and the rabid hardcore base has been waiting for years for local soccer.  You guys have TFC, L1Ontario etc, maybe not so starved for soccer like other regions of the country.  If its still a mess come winter and signing etc are slim and the team looks bad, then I would worry.  We are still way to early into the process to throw the team with the fewest memberships under the bus.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Have I missed the boat?? Are York behind the 8ball?? They have front office, nice colors, nice logo.  Is it the low membership numbers?  It is probably a little easier to get guys to buy into a new club in Halifax, Wpg etc, when there is no other option and the rabid hardcore base has been waiting for years for local soccer.  You guys have TFC, L1Ontario etc, maybe not so starved for soccer like other regions of the country.  If its still a mess come winter and signing etc are slim and the team looks bad, then I would worry.  We are still way to early into the process to throw the team with the fewest memberships under the bus.  

I think some of the concerns are around all the missed marketing opportunities. They were not present during the qualifying round for voyageurs cup, nor were they around for the friendlies up at OSC. They also put off a lot of people with their pricing. 

11 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think some of the concerns are around all the missed marketing opportunities. They were not present during the qualifying round for voyageurs cup, nor were they around for the friendlies up at OSC. They also put off a lot of people with their pricing. 

The pricing is still in the alleged category right? Because I couldn't make anything out of those tweets.