York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I get the feeling that York9 will make the biggest splash in signing players when the time comes. No reason in particular, just a feeling.?

I would throw out a reason - they will need the publicity in this market, moreso than any other team in the CPL because they are in the shadow of TFC and after the 0.15 seconds of semi-fame with the launch, nobody (in terms of the general public) in this region has really heard anything about the club since then. Once they have some player signings, including any sort of a "name", that might change.

5 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

It's so obviously implied that it doesn't rate a mention. Everybody in Vaughan and the York Region knows Dave and Buster's is the biggest sports/gaming bar in the entire GTA lol.

Yeah, and I know that too. If I were hoping to go I would feel a lot better if they said something like “come to talk CPL with us from 10 till 11, then stay to watch the game with us.” I would want to explicitly know they aren’t doing some sort of presentation while the game is on in the background.

Its like when my then girlfriend invited me out with her friends during the 2010 Olympic men’s hockey gold medal game.

Me: Are you watching the game?

Her: I’m sure it will be on.

Me: But that isn’t the goal of the meet up? Where are you going?

Her: I’m not sure, we’ll find something.

Me: Pass.

Later that night.

Her: You should have come out we watched some of the first period in the first bar we went to.

Me: I made the right decision.

Details of the World Cup Final viewing party held Sunday morning in Vaughan by the York 9 club.
I got an interview with Ben Zayandehroudi the VP of Ticket Sales and Fan Services.
It answers a lot of questions of the stadium they're use for the first two years, ticket prices,
the number of Canadian players and building rivalries.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/CPLF0715.htm

42 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Details of the World Cup Final viewing party held Sunday morning in Vaughan by the York 9 club.
I got an interview with Ben Zayandehroudi the VP of Ticket Sales and Fan Services.
It answers a lot of questions of the stadium they're use for the first two years, ticket prices,

Thanks a lot for this sir

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

You asked the question I wanted to ask at the start re: stadium! Thought I'd summarize this part of the interview recording for folks:

So, looks like Ben makes a mistake though. You ask if York 9 will play at the stadium with the track or w/out. Ben says the one w/out but calls it the Lion Stadium. The one without the track is actually Alumni Field. That said, the exciting news is that he clarifies that York U is working with York 9 to remove the tracks and to move the stands closer to the field (I am kind of hoping they just stayed at York if that is the case instead of moving after two years..). The stadium is being expanded by 3700 seats, to bring it to 5-6000.

Pricing:
2500-3000 seats dedicated to members of various soccer clubs. $349
Across that, general season tickets. $399
Exec seats + lounge $599-699
GA - standing only supporters section - $199
Students - $199

2 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

CPL with DP rule? 

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Pricing:
2500-3000 seats dedicated to members of various soccer clubs. $349
Across that, general season tickets. $399
Exec seats + lounge $599-699
GA - standing only supporters section - $199
Students - $199

A price for members of soccer clubs, that is fine. A stand for them, bad idea, in fact very poor idea. Whole sections of kids watching in their uniforms, well that is a very soft sort of support. I can honestly say: even at pro clubs in Spain, where I live, those sections of academy players and the like are the softest support nodes in the stands. 

In any case, why shouldn't a kid who really likes the sport go with his dad? And if his dad wants exec? Or if the kids, teens, want to go to the GA?

Just discount academy kids and maybe coaches, all affiliated, across the board in all sections. 

And if you feel you want to designate an area for clubs, even if they rotate the tickets between members, fine, you can do it. It will rarely mean over 50 per club, and only at the start or on special days. The kids simply do not get into it en masse. Many won't come, there will be empty seats. So that section is never going to fill that many seats, not on your life. At least not after the first 2 or three games. If you designate 500-800 seats per game or so, 10-15% of capacity, for the club teams, that will be enough. And the rest go to general admission.

To summarise: the formula is fine, and they may think it is going to work. But it won't work in the mid to long term, and not with any consistency.

This is a classic case of a product selling not to the user, but to a representative of a user, here being the board of a youth soccer club. And by getting those guys to say yes to tickets, they think they have met the interest of the kids and their families, they think they have a real yes in terms of numbers. This is erroneous thinking in marketing terms, and poor work in terms of meeting the user directly, unmediated. As all the other clubs in the CPL are doing with way more success than York9.

Edit: I have to edit as I am thinking about this. I understand that the soccer club model might ensure success the first season, as clubs commit to a minimum number of seats. So you sell blocks, not individual seats, and do so efficiently, by contactingi say 20-30 clubs (all appearing in their first public iterations). So it seems like a good idea, and no club anywhere would renounce such a source of income. I am just saying that it is an unstable model, favours a short-term interest, and does not do what all the other CPL clubs are doing: market to individuals, who are committing in the hundreds. 800 random individuals in Winnipeg or Hamilton or Calgary, that represents a deep and loaded cross-section of soccer fan across each given city, and it establishes each club firmly. Contacting 20 presidents of youth clubs does not do this, by any means, and leaves you weaker in the mid to long term.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Was Brennan in Ireland for football matters?  He was just in Hamilton for the CPL launch on Thursday.  

Zayandehroudi said there will be another event in around August and it may be held in North York (northern suburb of Toronto) as there has been a great interest in the northern Toronto area.

A strong indication that a lot of the season ticket deposits have been coming from south of Steeles rather than York Region. Suspect it will take a lot of YRSA group sales to emerge in the run up to the launch next year for this group's focus to remain in York Region in the years ahead and that other outer GTA localities could still engineer a repeat of the Langford scenario with this one by providing a stadium at municipal expense.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Jim Brennan is the obvious possibility.

I kind of doubt they would give him both the manager and VP roles. They could but it just seems unlikely. It would also continue the really confused image the league keeps putting forward so far

Edited by matty

12 minutes ago, matty said:

I kind of doubt they would give him both the manager and VP roles. They could but it just seems unlikely. It would also continue the really confused image the league keeps putting forward so far

If they are going to pay the guy a full-time salary, as appears to be the case, it might as well be for something he is actually trained for in professional terms.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If they are going to pay the guy a full-time salary, as appears to be the case, it might as well be for something he is actually trained for in professional terms.

he was an assistant gm and as @zeelaw said it doesn't look good for a league with a fairly confused image already