Marcus Godinho

First of all, the guy is known to us. He has played on our youth teams. So no way the CSA doesn’t know him. I know many of you think they are incompetent but not to that extent that they don’t know the players that were on their youth teams. 

Second, the previous manger was fired in part for not communicating with the players. Whether Herdman is a good manger or not, his track record is good with communication. That we don’t have to worry about. I am sure he is on top of it. 

Third, I too find it pathetic (but that is where we are) that if someone who is 20 years old have a couple of starts in Scotland’s premier league we are all falling over each other to call him up. Just goes to show how poor are talent pool is. Hopefully, the CPL will help change that in the long run  

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Godinho eligible for Scotland?.... I thought he would be eligible for Portugal too, but very unlikely he gets call up by them..Also we are starting to see a trend of players starting and doing well in their respective leagues and don't see why this will stop, it will just become the norm imo

Not very unlikely that he gets a u21 call though if he continues to play.. look at Eustaquio 

25 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Not very unlikely that he gets a u21 call though if he continues to play.. look at Eustaquio 

It's possible and the fact he has not played in official youth matches makes it more likely, but - a big but - he'd be fighting for a call up with Fernando Fonseca and Diogo Dalot who are both Porto products. Fonseca is a '97 who played for Porto B last year and is on loan at Estoril and Dalot is a '99 who took Fonseca's RB spot on Porto B.

Maybe I'm just not looking at this the right way.  In a camp that probably wont have the north american players, with a new coach in between cycles with no meaningful games until next fall...why wouldnt we give a 20year old who seems to be in form a shot?  The guy has jumped up a level, getting playing time seemingly on the upside of his career.  Again, for everyone saying this is pathetic etc, who are the 4 CB's in europe you want to call?  If it was me I would want to try and bring some new blood into every friendly window.  Especially when we dont have anyone playing at a high level at CB.  Maybe I have been watching another national team for the last 30years, but when did we have 19-20 year olds to call up from top leagues that were getting playing time??  Jamie Peters??  Stalteri??  Alphonso Davies?  Shitty sure...but plenty of national teams try and work in youngsters.  Especially duals that might dissappear if you dont show any interest at all in them.  

12 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Your defense of Godinho makes sense Bison but I don't think Kent meant to slag Godinho or say he shouldn't be called.  He is wishing we had a team at a higher level that was harder to break into.  He is hoping for a day when unless you've put in multiple seasons as a starter at a high level you are barely on the radar.

You are right Bison, we're not there yet, and we have to take our excitement where we can get it.  Hence jumping up and down for two starts, and rightfully so!  I'm as hopeful for Marcus's career as you are.

But I'm with Kent in that some day I aspire to Canada having the quality and depth that something like this isn't big news.  That the only way to get a cap in a meaningful game is to not just be a starter but to be a star in solid leagues.  When Hutch and Arfield and Hoilett are the rule and not the exception.

I think they made a mistake but Arfield is only with us because Scotland never called him.  That is the level of their quality and depth - that even a Premier League player is not guaranteed a call.  Godinho would be miles from a Scotland call.  Might not even make their u23.  I think in 10 or 15 years we can be better and deeper than Scotland.  And I'm looking forward to arguments like "That guy who's been a decent starter for five years in the Scottish Premier League, do you really think he's good enough for the Canadian National Team?"

Yeah, this. I didn’t mean that Godinho shouldn’t be called. I really don’t know because I haven’t seen him play for Hearts. I have seen a bit of Hutch and Arfield in terms of guys playing in Europe. It’s just every once in a while our reality sinks in and I take a step back and think it’s a bit depressing that we are so excited by the fact that a guy got a start in a pro league. Or in the case of Bekker he was getting a call up because he went high in the MLS draft. I just dream of a day when the team is named and I can look down the list and think “these are guys that I have seen play, and they are playing well”.

I wish Godinho all the best of course, and if he gets called up I won’t have any reason to complain about it.

On 2018-03-09 at 8:01 PM, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

What are his connections to Canada and also, is he CANMNT eligible?... Worth capping? 

I thought you said in another thread that you do research these questions and then post when you can’t find the answer? If you search Smith’s name on this board you’ll find he has a whole thread dedicated to him.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Great little article on Godinho. Offers us a little insight into how quickly you can get a call!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/marcus-godinho-enjoys-riding-crest-of-wave-at-hearts-1-4715262

TBF to our program, any natural right back playing division 1 football should be an instant call. 

6 minutes ago, honestseveran said:

TBF to our program, any natural right back playing division 1 football should be an instant call. 

True, but Godinho looked really comfortable at that position when he came on and its been a very long time since that has happened ...probably not since the 2010 WC cycle. It was only a 45 min appearance so don't want to get carried away though. Hope he continues to get first team minutes. Its going to be a challenge.

Edited by Kadenge

Michael Smith has played both sides at the back (either side of the central defensive partnership of Berra and Souttar). He's even played in a 5 man midfield at times although I don't think his most effective position is further up the pitch.  The manager, Craig Levein, likes to have it tight at the back and Smith is a very workman like player.  A solid player but nothing special. 

Having said that, I have not heard of him ever being referred to anything other than Northern Irish.  A lot of times, when I watch him play, I rarely think of him as being on the CMNT.  Although, I could say the same thing about Wotherspoon - until now.  

Most Hearts fans were upset with the away draw today and the players and manager were under constant criticism, fortunately Godinho was the exception with many fans labelling him as the lone bright spot and expected starter next season!

Here is some discussion on our man: 

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/176165-player-ratings/

Edited by gator

49 minutes ago, gator said:

Most Hearts fans were upset with the away draw today and the players and manager were under constant criticism, fortunately Godinho was the exception with many fans labelling him as the lone bright spot and expected starter next season!

Here is some discussion on our man: 

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/176165-player-ratings/

Marcus did well and tortured the Dundee wingbacks.  But we (Hearts) were poor in the second half and were somewhat fortunate to have gotten a point when we should have gotten three.  So yeah, for once I’m with Hearts Kickback, I’m a bit upset.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

If he keeps up this form and keeps getting starts in the Premiership, should he move into the starting RB spot for CMNT over Petrasso? He seems to be very skilled and has good strength as well which is a great assest.

Surely it depends on what Petrasso does moving forward as well. 

3 hours ago, Jith12 said:

If he keeps up this form and keeps getting starts in the Premiership, should he move into the starting RB spot for CMNT over Petrasso? He seems to be very skilled and has good strength as well which is a great assest.

If Cordova gets minutes  for the rest of the season I'd argue he'd be better than both but as far as those two go, I would prefer Marcus