NCAA Canadians 2018

Havoc88

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews after Day 1

Dayne St Clair: played one half and didnt do well..gave one goal by not properly controlling a pass..some of the other keepers did well so he will have to step up on day 2

Alex Comsia: finished top 10 in agility testing before day 1..a couple bad decisions on the ball in the first half but very good defending

Mamadi Camara: finished top 10 in speed testing..entered in the 2nd half at left wing..used his speed and height well, couple bad decisions, good left foot and good at keeping the ball

Callum Montgomery: tall with a good left foot..looks for simple short pass, good awareness to clear when necessary..had trouble playing quality direct balls forward

Kamal Miller: smaller at 6'0, played at left center back like Montgomery and good left foot also but very different style of play..he looks to play forward ground pass often instead of sideways..made a few very nice passes

Tajon Buchanan: finished top 10 in speed and power testing..started a right wing and had a bad day..bad finishing and decisions and touches and passes were off..had no impact

I have Haji going at #1 for now

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Love how easy it is to make a Canadian domestic when it’s convenient, even though we’ve been told fornyears that it’s “illegal”. 

In fairness didn’t the MLS bring in a rule that if a Canadian player played a few years or so for an MLS academy or even an academy recognized by the MLS  like Sigma for example that player would be considered a domestic throughout the MLS. I think Montgomery played a few years in the PDL for Victoria Highlanders so because it’s PDL they might be counting it.

Edited by 1996

They arent really specific naming them the CDN GA like they did previously (Reid and Shome/2017).  Are they still distinguishing between them?  Both Buchanon and St Clair seem to be good enough to be  picked on their own merit even if not CDN.  

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They arent really specific naming them the CDN GA like they did previously (Reid and Shome/2017).  Are they still distinguishing between them?  Both Buchanon and St Clair seem to be good enough to be  picked on their own merit even if not CDN.  

I was wondering the same thing. But I guess the difference is Buchanan and St Clair come through the NCAA, whereas Shome and Reid didn't. The Canadian Gen Adidas was invented for players not available in the US college system (and as a way of showing MLS DOES care about Canadian players, cough cough). 

22 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

SBI is reporting that all Canadians in the draft will be considered domestic for MLS purposes.

Ladies and gentlemen, the CPL effect.

Just like that - a couple CPL scouts show up at the combine and US law is rewritten ?

Really though only a matter of time before they need to make Canadians domestic league wide to stave off CPL competition (as we know MLS loves to kill their competition).

45 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Win-Win. Gives CPL some bargaining power and better opportunity to sell top players to MLS

Well actually it would take away CPL bargaining power with players but would open up more opportunities for Canadians at a higher level, which is the win.  Agreed that it would also make CPL players under contract more attractive.

It makes no sense to consider Canadians being drafted domestic while Canucks abroad (or youngsters) looking to return home remain internationals.  Change must be imminent.. there would be little logic in having drafted Canadians be domestic while a guy like Atiba or Cavallini would be international on all but 3 teams.  

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well actually it would take away CPL bargaining power with players but would open up more opportunities for Canadians at a higher level, which is the win.  Agreed that it would also make CPL players under contract more attractive.

I more meant CPL teams having some bargaining power with MLS for transfers, instead of mostly only being able to sell to three MLS teams

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the CPL effect.

Just like that - a couple CPL scouts show up at the combine and US law is rewritten ?

Really though only a matter of time before they need to make Canadians domestic league wide to stave off CPL competition (as we know MLS loves to kill their competition).

AMEN to that.  What a load of crap.  We whine and complain for years and then POOF, its done.  Hypocrite baloney!!!  But only for the top couple draft picks??  Just make everyone domestic already!  

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

AMEN to that.  What a load of crap.  We whine and complain for years and then POOF, its done.  Hypocrite baloney!!!  But only for the top couple draft picks??  Just make everyone domestic already!  

Looks like all Canadians in the draft will be domestic not just the top few.  Another link: https://sbisoccer.com/2019/01/the-sbi-mls-draft-big-board-version-2-0-2

On 1/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, Stryker911 said:

There are 5 mock drafts on MLS website. This is where the Canadians are listed.

Montgomery is: 4, 4, 7, 3, 5, 3, 4

Buchanan is: 3, 9, 1, 9, not first round, 1, 1

St. Clair is: 6, 6, 12, 1, not first round, 6, 5

Millar is: not first round, not first round, not first round, 20, 6, not first round, 19

Comisa is: not first round, not first round, not first round, 32, 17, not first round, 23

The last mock is a bit of an outlier. The first 4 seem pretty consistent, but as we have seen with the draft before it can be such a crapshoot.

Added a couple more mocks. Both of them had Buchanan going #1. And interestingly the last one puts Millar and Comisa in the first round due to them being domestic.

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So all CDN senior NCAA kids elegible for the draft are domestic now??  Is that the way you read that blurb in the article??  

thats how i took it when i read it.

I get the impression MLS is (pardon the overly dramatic term) weaponizing the Domestic status. If you sign to play with them right out of college or an academy you get domestic status. If you go CPL route or another way before getting to MLS you're considered an international. Pretty silly stuff.

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

thats how i took it when i read it.

I get the impression MLS is (pardon the overly dramatic term) weaponizing the Domestic status. If you sign to play with them right out of college or an academy you get domestic status. If you go CPL route or another way before getting to MLS you're considered an international. Pretty silly stuff.

A completely believable and of course petty scenario.