• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Top Drawer is also listing 4 Canadians in their Mock Draft

Buchanon
Montgomery
Miller
St. Clair

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2019-mls-mock-draft:-version-10_aid45660

So two Canadians projected in the top 3 and neither one has been called by Canada youth teams.  Do we suck at evaluating talent or is the draft weak? 

Buchanan in particular is apparently a 99? So odd that he wouldn’t be given a look by our u20s.. but then again I guess we never had any camps. 

If true about Montgomery being a MLS starter potentially that would be huge for the program (also St Clair as we need a future keeper).  

The NCAA draft is so strange and a unreliable as a way of evaluating players.  Wasnt there a recent article that said that less than 50% of first round picks play more than 10 MLS games the next year?   Callum Irving was an all american and was high on draft boards, never even got drafted.  Larin was also not called by our youth teams but drafted high, so maybe Buchanon et al have a shot.  Its nice that our kids are getting attention, but It seems like MLS draft is more witchcraft than science.  

Just now, Norrin Radd said:

Larin was on the U20 team. Didn't he miss the MLS combine because he was at the u20 qualifiers?

That was after he got capped at he senior level (and inexplicably still didn’t start).  

Our youth teams have no camps so it’s no surprise they can’t do basic evaluations.  One would think a future first overall MLS pick would be a name in Canada prior to tearing up NCAA.  But for whatever reason ever since around 2011-12 there have been a ton of Sigma guys left off youth teams - including some like Larin, Awuah, Laryea, Welshman and James who have gone on to be senior players or MLS top picks. 

7 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Larin was on the U20 team. Didn't he miss the MLS combine because he was at the u20 qualifiers?

After he made his name for himself in NCAA and played for the mens team before the U-20.  That was only 6-7 years ago as a teenager he wasnt called to any of our youth teams and then mysteriously went to NCAA and was freshman of the year and a potential top draft pick after 1 season.  Gems are out there and it does seem like Sigma kids get skipped over.  Hopefully with all the new CPL squads scouring the country for talent the best young guys will get some exposure and nobody will fall through the cracks.  

Just now, Norrin Radd said:

I wonder if with more teams and hopefully more young players playing professionally there will be a greater chance that the NCAA players will be overlooked.

I think if the CPL CDN university partnership works out you might see some of these kids that are going the NCAA route stay home.  They can get an education here and work summers in the CPL.  Never understood this, when i was i school no one stopped me from working summers for the same guys I was going to after I graduated.  

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The NCAA draft is so strange and a unreliable as a way of evaluating players.  Wasnt there a recent article that said that less than 50% of first round picks play more than 10 MLS games the next year?   Callum Irving was an all american and was high on draft boards, never even got drafted.  Larin was also not called by our youth teams but drafted high, so maybe Buchanon et al have a shot.  Its nice that our kids are getting attention, but It seems like MLS draft is more witchcraft than science.  

At this stage of the evolution of the NCAA soccer draft as a player source, it appears like you get more and more MLS wash outs then significant contributors, but perhaps my perception is wrong.  If so, I stand corrected.  If not, then I hope these Canadian guys get drafted and becoming success stories in MLS at their new clubs.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

At this stage of the evolution of the NCAA soccer draft as a player source, it appears like you get more and more MLS wash outs then significant contributors, but perhaps my perception is wrong.  If so, I stand corrected.  If not, then I hope these Canadian guys get drafted and becoming success stories in MLS at their new clubs.

100% correct.  And I would guess its quality isnt keeping pace with the increasing level of talent in MLS.  You have to sift a lot of sand these days before you find a nugget. 

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

That was after he got capped at he senior level (and inexplicably still didn’t start).  

Our youth teams have no camps so it’s no surprise they can’t do basic evaluations.  One would think a future first overall MLS pick would be a name in Canada prior to tearing up NCAA.  But for whatever reason ever since around 2011-12 there have been a ton of Sigma guys left off youth teams - including some like Larin, Awuah, Laryea, Welshman and James who have gone on to be senior players or MLS top picks. 

Anyone have any news as to where these two might be going?

30 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

Awesome news!!!

would he count as an international or is there a deal worked out (Brian Wright/laryea/awuah) where does not use an international spot?

I'm pretty sure the CSA and MLS worked something out where Canadian GA players are counted as domestics, but I am not 100% sure if it would apply to St. Clair because he has never played for an MLS academy.

Anyone know what happened to former u20 Matthew Constant?  He was a standout at UNM and transferred to UNC this past summer.. rated top 100 in the country and has completely fallen off the map, didn’t play a game all year.

Did he red shirt or..? 

Edited by Keegan

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Anyone know what happened to former u20 Matthew Constant?  He was a standout at UNM and transferred to UNC this past summer.. rated top 100 in the country and has completely fallen off the map, didn’t play a game all year.

Did he red shirt or..? 

I believe he would have to redshirt this past year. You are required to sit out a full academic year from sport when transferring unless you meet an exemption or graduated from your previous school IIRC. 

21 hours ago, Jith12 said:

I'm pretty sure the CSA and MLS worked something out where Canadian GA players are counted as domestics, but I am not 100% sure if it would apply to St. Clair because he has never played for an MLS academy.

Canadian GA players are domestic league-wide.

14 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Is he a GK that can some day become CMNT #1 or more back up type?

It is very hard to see at this stage. The majority of players taken in the MLS SuperDraft will never even play in the league, so in that case, he likely wouldn't be on the MNT radar. However, there are cases of some keepers like Andre Blake, who played two or three years of college ball, signed a GA contract, and now he is one of the top keepers in the league. If he ends up going that route, he will be on our radar for sure. Only time and performances will tell.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:22 AM, Fullback said:

I believe he would have to redshirt this past year. You are required to sit out a full academic year from sport when transferring unless you meet an exemption or graduated from your previous school IIRC. 

Nope - that's only in some sports (ie the revenue raising ones). Players can transfer in soccer and play right away without sitting out.

@Keegan

Edited by BCM