NCAA Canadians 2018

Havoc88

32 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

thats how i took it when i read it.

I get the impression MLS is (pardon the overly dramatic term) weaponizing the Domestic status. If you sign to play with them right out of college or an academy you get domestic status. If you go CPL route or another way before getting to MLS you're considered an international. Pretty silly stuff.

Gotta give credit where it’s due, it’s smart for their business model.  Their MO has always been to pay the least possible for depth talent and keep the status quo.  They’re willing to lose top prospects and be hostile to other leagues to keep that balance.  Lower leagues pushing up wages is a nightmare scenario for them - especially in Canada where you can play first division/continental soccer.  They need to use every tool at their disposal to filter players to MLS.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it must have killed them to bring the league minimum up from 40 to 70 or whatever it is now.  But they sure brag up the DP signings making million a season.   I wonder how they will explain that anyone drafted is a domestic, but you come to a MLS camp undrafted and you are an import??  

They both played at Maryland so comparisons are natural.  I wonder if St Clair didnt get all the exposure in the NCAA playoffs  would there be as much buzz around him.  Still a solid prospect but no one was talking high first round/top keeper pick, 2-3months ago.  

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

They both played at Maryland so comparisons are natural.  I wonder if St Clair didnt get all the exposure in the NCAA playoffs  would there be as much buzz around him.  Still a solid prospect but no one was talking high first round/top keeper pick, 2-3months ago.  

Alright well it's a high praise for him if he can reach that Steffen level of play that would be great young GK with good size. Let's hope he can get to that level if not higher. 

1 minute ago, Scorpion26 said:

Alright well it's a high praise for him if he can reach that Steffen level of play that would be great young GK with good size. Let's hope he can get to that level if not higher. 

If he lives up to the potential of other top 10 GKs drafted in the MLS he'll definitely be on the National team radar.

I just did a little research myself and I found the results pretty staggering. If you look at the GKs drafted in the top 10 going back the last 10 years the success rate is basically 100%

2016 - Andrew Tarbell - Starter for San Jose

2015 - Alex Bono - Starter for Toronto FC

2014 - Andre Blake - Starter for Philly/Jamaica

2011 - Zac McMath - contender for starting spot in Vancouver

(Steffen played 2 years at Maryland then went to Germany before joining the crew. he wasn't drafted)

It irks me sometimes how much crap people give the calibre of player in the MLS draft. For all it's warts it's produced good players every year with a few starts sprinkled in...and as a nation that has a vast amount of players who never get scouted or seen, it's provided guys with another way in to the pro game.

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

If he lives up to the potential of other top 10 GKs drafted in the MLS he'll definitely be on the National team radar.

I just did a little research myself and I found the results pretty staggering. If you look at the GKs drafted in the top 10 going back the last 10 years the success rate is basically 100%

(Steffen played 2 years at Maryland then went to Germany before joining the crew. he wasn't drafted)

It irks me sometimes how much crap people give the calibre of player in the MLS draft. For all it's warts it's produced good players every year with a few starts sprinkled in...and as a nation that has a vast amount of players who never get scouted or seen, it's provided guys with another way in to the pro game.

Yup so true I’ve always said this about the NCAA it sometimes uncovers players that were never scouted before by our youth national team programs , players for whatever reason were missed.

2 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Yup so true I’ve always said this about the NCAA it sometimes uncovers players that were never scouted before by our youth national team programs , players for whatever reason were missed.

^^^ Larin.  Plus I dont think Buchanon ever got into a Canada camp.

41 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Goalkeeper is a different skill set to outfield players so it does not really surprise me. 

Reviews after Day 2

Dayne St Clair: played the 2nd half, not tested much but one good save and no blunders so it could be reassuring for teams

Alex Comsia: excellent 1v1, maybe the best 1v1 cb at combine and good quality passing

Mamadi Camara: used at LB..not his place, was lost and positioning was off..its said that he wont count as domestic so makes it harder for him to even get picked in the 3rd or 4th round 

Callum Montgomery: good defending, good left foot but is slow and will have trouble at mls level in front of fast players

Kamal Miller: again very good left foot, good through balls, always looking forward but his size is against him

Tajon Buchanan: was better today, hes fast, was able to win a 1v1 but got caught after..finishing and final quality action isnt there

Might post my mock draft or predictions for Canadians tomorrow

Edited by Big_M

14 hours ago, red card said:

Even MLS teams don't think anything of the potential of NCAA players. 

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

Smart move. 

Especially given that the picks in question are all in the lower rounds (except for 15th overall, which is itself a crap shoot).

There's still quality to be found in the draft, but anything past the first half of the first round is really needle in haystack stuff now that most of the best NCAA players are already tied to MLS academies (and are thus ineligible for the draft).

On 12/28/2018 at 12:25 AM, Bison44 said:

Ummm, just to channel my inner "CPL Rumours" twitter feed....Awuah and Laryea both linked to moves to Hamilton Forge.  Also Callum Irving linked to Pacific FC move and the whole Trinidad team is coming to Halifax.  

You weren't wrong, you just forgot to mention that they are also signing a well known British singer!

9 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

You weren't wrong, you just forgot to mention that they are also signing a well known British singer!

After Elton and I spent x-mas together he told me I couldnt reveal he was lacing up the boots at age 71.  I hope this doesnt diminish the quality of the league as he still does have some pace for a senior citizen piano player and his hold up skills are admirable.  

Predictions

Dayne St Clair-1st round: didnt do great at combine but still seen as the #1 gk in the draft and is on a GA contract..wouldnt be surprised if Toronto takes him at #6

Alexander Comsia-Late 1st round-early 2nd round: good performances at combine and a top player at UNC who also has experience in Europes so he has proved his quality but there also other good CB's in this class..wouldnt be surprised if a team sees something in him and takes him higher

Mamadi Camara-3rd or 4th round: could see a Canadian team taking him and sending him to usl

Callum Montgomery-Top 15: seen as the best CB, good size and left footed..maybe at #3 to Orlando where O'Connor likes playing with 3 CB's and needs backups

Kamal Miller-Late 1st round-early 2nd round: probably the best CB at forward passes and is left footed but others have better size..like Comsia, could go higher

Tajon Buchanan-Top 15: saw very little from him at combine but teams believe in his potential

I think Amaya goes at #1

I dont understand the knock on Miller, I've seen him listed at 6 to 6'1.  I have watched alot of Syracuse soccer, he isnt a small body type, seems to have plenty of strength. 

Moore, Ciman, VDW all all 6', Hagglund, Dunn, Mavinga and Zavaleta are only 6'1.  MLS seems obessed with these gangly 6'4 guys that are soooo slow.  And Comsia is listed at 6'0 as well.....maybe we need some old fashioned back to back measurments, HAHA.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

After Elton and I spent x-mas together he told me I couldnt reveal he was lacing up the boots at age 71.  I hope this doesnt diminish the quality of the league as he still does have some pace for a senior citizen piano player and his hold up skills are admirable.  

I always thought that Rod Stewart was the footballer.