NCAA Canadians 2018

Havoc88

37 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes 8 teams passed in the 3rd round and 13 teams in the 4th round.   The most active were FC Dallas and NYR, stocking their USL teams.

Comsia to CanPL most likely.

At least CPL is an option now. Previously he'd have to weigh USL or chancing it in Europe to getting a real well paying job.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you don't got in the first 2 rounds you'd be better off going to the CPL anyway - its unlikely with all of the academy products, international signings and the first 2 rounds that any team that drafts a player in the 3rd or 4th round is going to see them as a top prospect who is going to get a lot of 1st team minutes. Also bearing in mind that the size of the rounds keeps growing every year with more and more MLS teams - at 27th Kamal Miller would have been the equivalent first pick of the 3rd round in 2007 when TFC joined the league (13 teams), but he's early 2nd round in this draft.

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think if you don't got in the first 2 rounds you'd be better off going to the CPL anyway - its unlikely with all of the academy products, international signings and the first 2 rounds that any team that drafts a player in the 3rd or 4th round is going to see them as a top prospect who is going to get a lot of 1st team minutes. Also bearing in mind that the size of the rounds keeps growing every year with more and more MLS teams - at 27th Kamal Miller would have been the equivalent first pick of the 3rd round in 2007 when TFC joined the league (13 teams), but he's early 2nd round in this draft.

I can see MLS dropping to 2 or 3 rounds next year, with 21 passes 4 rounds don't seem necessary.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Huge disappointment for Comsia. I expect he is devastated. Not least after being tipped in some quarters to sneak into the first round. 

Hopefully this will indeed be a blessing in disguise though and a year likely at Pacific FC will give him some great experience. He is still listed on the whitecaps site but I am assuming that is a no go. 

Is it a coincidence that the two former caps players that have gone through the draft have gone undrafted?  Are MLS teams collectively black balling each other’s academy products who didn’t sign?  Or is there a provision that they owe their parent club compensation? 

Seems crazy that Comsia and Irving were both sure fire picks who went 4 rounds without being drafted.  More so for Comsia who is a domestic.. 

By round 4 you are absolutely reaching how do you not pick a guy with international experience, who was one of the fastest defenders and best players in college slated to go in the first 2 rounds?  I mean at least take a flyer? I’m shocked. By all accounts he had a decent combine as well. 

I hope he’s not discouraged because he’s still very much wanted and can start off his career in a great position.  This is just a minor inconvenience.

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Is it a coincidence that the two former caps players that have gone through the draft have gone undrafted?  Are MLS teams collectively black balling each other’s academy products who didn’t sign?  Or is there a provision that they owe their parent club compensation? 

Seems crazy that Comsia and Irving were both sure fire picks who went 4 rounds without being drafted.  More so for Comsia who is a domestic.. 

By round 4 you are absolutely reaching how do you not pick a guy with international experience, who was one of the fastest defenders and best players in college slated to go in the first 2 rounds?  I mean at least take a flyer? I’m shocked. By all accounts he had a decent combine as well. 

I hope he’s not discouraged because he’s still very much wanted and can start off his career in a great position.  This is just a minor inconvenience.

It's an interesting point. You would think if the whitecaps passed up on them or vice versa, when they sign with the MLS any compensation would be waived. If there is compensation involved surely the MLS would have to pay it. Seems unfair for any team to have to pay it. 

I think the main point of whitecaps passing on them is probably more indicative that for whatever reason clubs didn't see enough in them.

Could be a a great pick up for the CPL though.

31 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Just had a thought.. what if Comsia wasn’t selected because he’s already signed in CPL but hasn’t been announced?

I was thinking CPL or Europe 

it was strange to me that he didn’t even get selected in the later rounds , considering he won ACC Defender of the year 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Just had a thought.. what if Comsia wasn’t selected because he’s already signed in CPL but hasn’t been announced?

An MLS team could still draft him to retain his rights in that league.

It's what FC Dallas just did with a goalkeeper who had already signed with Atlanta's USL team. Pretty funny, actually.

That’s actually classic in the case of the ATL2 keeper.  I saw they had signed a draft eligible keeper for their USL team and I thought that was a bit off.  

Just reading a bit more and ATL skipped their pick before Dallas took the guy!  That’s just deserved - they tried bypassing MLS rules and were complacent in doing so.  Now they can develop a Dallas prospect ?

Very impressive that 4 Canadians were selected in the Super Draft, now the real question is how many of them will crack the team and earn a contract in pre-season? 

Dayne stclair, Tajon Buchanan, Kamal Miller and Callum Montgomery now have the ability to play professional soccer whether or not it works out for them in MLS

CPL is a viable option and that way they won't get lost in the USL or lower leagues in Europe

Not sure why Alex Comsia wasn't picked, would love to see him with Pacific FC this year 

Edited by Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, masster said:

Ali Zohar going to Northern Kentucky:

I get that people want to continue their soccer dream. But why would a Canadian attend Northern Kentucky University?

I had a friend who came back to Canada with his degree from a similar school after being on an athletic scholarship. He applied to law in Canada school and was rejected. I heard the law school wasn't very impressed with his undergrad.

Whether  that's fact or fiction, I can't say for sure. But it should make someone think twice.

29 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

I get that people want to continue their soccer dream. But why would a Canadian attend Northern Kentucky University?

Maybe his parents can't pay for his studies so he needed to get a soccer scholarship 100% expenses covered. In that case go to a university which is less known academically or athletic wise. He's probably prioritizing his education ahead of his potential pro soccer career. Although being captain of the whitecaps U18 and representing Canada at U17 you would think that would come with some pedigree 

3 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

I had a friend who came back to Canada with his degree from a similar school after being on an athletic scholarship. He applied to law in Canada school and was rejected. I heard the law school wasn't very impressed with his undergrad.

Whether  that's fact or fiction, I can't say for sure. But it should make someone think twice.

LSAT score + GPA + and/or story of exceptional circumstances. 

Tell him go to law school in the UK if he really wants to be a lawyer and can't get a good LSAT score. He will still need good grades in the UK for the Canadian province he wants to practice in to accept his degree. Also needs to pass a bunch of other equivalency exams. If there's a will there's a way. 

Sounds like fiction with weak excuses.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:29 AM, Soccerpro said:

It's fiction. Law schools don't tell people why they are rejected. But I get your point about going to a less than well known university, and agree.

The reality is that with so few law school places in Canada, and provincial preferences, it's hard to get admitted. I had decent grades, Div I athlete and other pluses but didn't get in - LSAT score was not that great, and had to go to a US law school (and Australian, but that was by choice). Accumulated debt, but now I teach law so it worked out in the end ;)