NCAA Canadians 2018

Havoc88

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

MLS combine invites are out:  Comsia (NC), Miller (Syracuse), Montgomery (Charlotte) and Camara (simon fraser div 2 3rd team all american).  

Anyone know why Comsia isn't considered by MLS to be a Whitecaps' HG player? After seeing a few highly-dubious HG claims approved for TFC, I'd think this one would be simple. Have the 'Caps declined to pursue such a claim, or is something else at play?

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Anyone know why Comsia isn't considered by MLS to be a Whitecaps' HG player? After seeing a few highly-dubious HG claims approved for TFC, I'd think this one would be simple. Have the 'Caps declined to pursue such a claim, or is something else at play?

Haven't heard anything officially. If I recall the rules correctly, the player needs to train with club for a certain amount of hours each year or something like that. I'm not sure if Comsia has had any connection with the Whitecaps since he left the residency for France. 

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

You only get homegrown status if you’re signed by the club you’re a homegrown in so assuming that Vancouver doesn’t offer him a contract, that status wouldn’t count (as far as I know)

6 hours ago, Bikerack said:

You only get homegrown status if you’re signed by the club you’re a homegrown in so assuming that Vancouver doesn’t offer him a contract, that status wouldn’t count (as far as I know)

I think thats what he is getting at, why dont Vancouver sign Comsia as a HG, and avoid the draft all together.  Chapman being a good example of this happening, WC should get complaining to MLS, and sign him, they could use Comsia

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think thats what he is getting at, why dont Vancouver sign Comsia as a HG, and avoid the draft all together.  Chapman being a good example of this happening, WC should get complaining to MLS, and sign him, they could use Comsia

Wouldn't Comsia have to agree to that also? As a perspective first round pick he might have better chances at a decent salary in the draft than as a homegrown signing.

48 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Wouldn't Comsia have to agree to that also? As a perspective first round pick he might have better chances at a decent salary in the draft than as a homegrown signing.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Are there not more roster/salary restrictions on a non-GA drafted player than a homegrown (who unless I'm mistaken wouldn't count against the cap)?

My wonder is perhaps it is about playing time. IMO a drafted player is more likely to be given additional opportunities to prove himself, as their success is more directly tied to a possible evaluation of a GM/coach. 

I feel like he just does not meet the requirements to be a HG player. Chapman and Camargo were at least comng back to Ontario in the summer and conceivably could have still been training with TFC. Comsia has been playing for North Carolina U23 and Tobacco Road in the PDL, so I do not see a way he meets the training requirements from 3000 miles away. When was the last time he was with the Whitecaps? 2010?  

Top Drawer Soccer named their teams of the season.
https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2018-mens-division-i-postseason-awards_aid45636

Montgomery and Comsia named to the second team.

Amanda and Raposo named to the Freshman Best XI first team.

Article on Raposo from about a year ago:
https://www.hwcdsb.ca/236050--STM-grad-Ryan-Raposo-sizes-up-a-career-in-soccer

Top drawer is pretty bullish on the CDN content.  with StClair and Zajac benefiting from good runs and exposure in the tournie.

They released the final year end rankings, Upperclassman and freshmen.  

Upperclassmen   16 Montgomery CB,  20-Comsia FB,   40-StClair K,   61 Buchanan F,   87-Zajac M

Freshmen     6-Amanda F,  9-Rapaso M,   28-Mullings F