Ottawa CPL Club

I forgot about the exit fees. That's Cinci next year, Nashville in 2020, and possibly another USL club in 2021. Maybe $500K US is not enough to dissuade the Fury from jumping to CPL, but $1.5 million US might. If the Fury join after the inaugural CPL season, does that mean that they get to keep their current roster?

It will be telling if the CPL does not come out on Monday and state clearly what the cap is going to be (or at least a range). The longer they delay, the more suspicious the public will get. They need to nip this in the bud so that everyone clubs and public) knows what to expect going into the season. If the CPL stays silent on this issue, I think we can safely assume that we'll be seeing L1O quality and salaries on a national stage. that's not going to win many fans.

I'm recalling that rumor that when the Fury saw the initial Salary cap ceiling, they blanched. I always thought it was because it was too high. Now I'm wondering if it was because it was so low.

C'mon CPL, clear this up and ease our fears that this is going to be a pub league. Perception is crucial.

38 minutes ago, Prune_55 said:

Legally the only way the CSA could withhold sanctioning from Ottawa is to also withdraw sanctioning from TFC, TFCII, Whitecaps and Impact in the same year.  Denying one club access to play in a USSF league while sanctioning 3 others would bankrupt the CSA if the Fury ever took them to court. 

I'm not so sure about this. Ottawa isn't a reserve club like TFCII so are held to a different standard and I'm guessing their license is based on other factors like having a comparable domestic league. It's CPL vs USL or MLS or USL D3. It's not the same thing. I'm sure that the 3 MLS teams probably have the same rules amongst themselves to get sanctioned. Ottawa has a different rule. TFC II has a different rule. The PDL teams have a different rule. Foothills women  has a different rule. TSS Rovers womens have a different rule. It's not the same for everyone like you're trying to say. If it was the same for everyone, sure. But it isn't.

Could Ottawa could play that card? Yes. Would it work? I don't know, but it's not clearcut as you're implying here.

15 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I forgot about the exit fees. That's Cinci next year, Nashville in 2020, and possibly another USL club in 2021. Maybe $500K US is not enough to dissuade the Fury from jumping to CPL, but $1.5 million US might. If the Fury join after the inaugural CPL season, does that mean that they get to keep their current roster?

It will be telling if the CPL does not come out on Monday and state clearly what the cap is going to be (or at least a range). The longer they delay, the more suspicious the public will get. They need to nip this in the bud so that everyone clubs and public) knows what to expect going into the season. If the CPL stays silent on this issue, I think we can safely assume that we'll be seeing L1O quality and salaries on a national stage. that's not going to win many fans.

I'm recalling that rumor that when the Fury saw the initial Salary cap ceiling, they blanched. I always thought it was because it was too high. Now I'm wondering if it was because it was so low.

C'mon CPL, clear this up and ease our fears that this is going to be a pub league. Perception is crucial.

The longer they wait the more suspicious the public becomes?! How many people in this country actually care about the salary cap in the CPL? They’re barely getting mainstream coverage and I bet a lot of people who consider them fans of the CPL barely know what’s going. 

How many memberships across the country 5 000? So maybe all of them know?

Edited by BuzzAndSting

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A new reddit thread has been started by someone claiming to be an OSEG employee:

We might (or might not) know more on Monday, if  Clanachan actually divulges financial details.

To me this sounds like another way for the Fury to get its side out and exercise some damage control with its own fans.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

We might (or might not) know more on Monday, if  Clanachan actually divulges financial details.

To me this sounds like another way for the Fury to get its side out and exercise some damage control with its own fans.

Possibly but IF true they, the broadcast and travel points in particular, justify the team not joining financially.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ted, sorry, a bit unrelated. I recall you or one of the LakeSideBuoys posted that the Highlanders attendance numbers were actually up this year. Perhaps even over a thousand a game? I was on the web and did not find info, so asking: what did the PDL Highlanders draw this year?

[snip]

LOL, waaaaay too off-topic. Feel free to ask in the appropriate thread. :)

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

though someone else made a good point that USL also doesn't provide either.

Yea but the claim includes usl travel is cheaper. As for broadcast, usl streams which helps with advertisers, if the cpllacks that then could cost you some cash. It's likely the overall cost difference is in the 6 figure range if road trips cost more.

Edited by matty

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

How much do they earn from youtube streaming in the USL?...

Probably nothing, I think its more of a .. "Travel will cost more, is there a sponsorship to offset that? No? Ok well then is there a Broadcast deal to offset that?"

18 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

@matty is demonstrating in this thread exactly why the Fury cannot be sanctioned in USL. If would-be CanPL owners have it as an option our league's hopes of survival dim significantly, as the NASL's did.

I don't think current cpl owners have it as an option

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not that it matters that much in a Canadian context but the USL does get games regularly onto an ESPN streaming channel, so it's a bit more substantial than youtube streaming. That's a similar level of coverage to what the Toronto Wolfpack have going with CBC, basically.

Every Wolfpack game is on either CBC or GameTV; I've been able to watch every one; Can I watch every Fury game?

(Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I think they only broadcast the Wolfpack's league games, not the Challenge Cup, which is the RL version of the FA Cup)

Fury walked safely into the existing USL package and ran with it. I've gotten over their decision and understand that is their business model. Fair enough if they want the same safe setup for when they make a CPL move. 

Looking at Ottawa soccer it is chronically under achieving.  It took almost a century for an Ottawa team to win the Challenge Trophy when lesser cities in more modest soccer contexts had done so. Just saying this as maybe we are overestimating their importance for a successful league. 

18 minutes ago, grande said:

Every Wolfpack game is on either CBC or GameTV; I've been able to watch every one; Can I watch every Fury game?

No idea why I am being asked this when I specifically made mention that what I was about to state didn't matter much in a Canadian context and my point was only that USL as opposed to Fury games get onto ESPN3 and are not just available as youtube streams.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fury walked safely into the existing USL package and ran with it. I've gotten over their decision and understand that is their business model. Fair enough if they want the same safe setup for when they make a CPL move. 

Looking at Ottawa soccer it is chronically under achieving.  It took almost a century for an Ottawa team to win the Challenge Trophy when lesser cities in more modest soccer contexts had done so. Just saying this as maybe we are overestimating their importance for a successful league. 

I'd say we are and are not. Like the league will live and run without them but it's a big market and the team was already doing the desired CPL numbers. We should have a better idea on Monday what the impact is.

They'll be in USL for a year or 2 then they'll be force to decide by the CSA who won't sanction them forever in USL.

I made my peace with it. Quebec City 2020 with Perhaps Saskatoon in 2020 will make up for the Fury staying, mainly Quebec City which will be MASSIVE for the league and the province. That team will be followed by surrounding regions, not only Quebec. 

As more teams comes in, Fury will want in but it will cost them much more than joining now. 

That won't ruin 2019 season for me. 

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, grande said:

(Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I think they only broadcast the Wolfpack's league games, not the Challenge Cup, which is the RL version of the FA Cup)

The Wolfpack playoff matches have also been on Sportsnet as well as the other two. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No idea why I am being asked this when I specifically made mention that what I was about to state didn't matter much in a Canadian context and my point was only that USL as opposed to Fury games get onto ESPN3 and are not just available as youtube streams.

Sorry, wasn't asking you specifically. I was responding regarding the Wolfpack and asking the forum, in general, about the Fury, as I wasn't sure what kind of deal they had.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

They'll be in USL for a year or 2 then they'll be force to decide by the CSA who won't sanction them forever in USL...

None of that is clear yet and I'd be interested to find out whether David Clanachan thought they would be forced into CanPL for next year by the CSA when he was confidently stating there would be 8 teams not so long ago.

CanPL is in an awkward, but by no stretch of the imagination fatal, situation at the moment. Many of the core followers of the league have been fired up by podcasters into viewing it as a rival to MLS rather than as a series of relatively low budget teams comprised to a significant extent of elite amateur or very low level semi-pro players from leagues like L1O, the OSL, PLSQ, the PCSL and VMSL.

If as is looking increasingly likely it turns out to be the latter they need to get their marketing just right and do a very good job on attracting the highest quality of players they possibly can on the available budgets or they will lose out on a lot of sales they were counting on from people on their membership lists, and they badly need to get the identity of franchise #8, and to a lesser extent #9 and #10 announced now even if it's only provisionally for 2020 or 2021 to give the league the aura of stability that it needs.

If any of that goes wrong I suspect Ottawa could easily be steering clear for the foreseeable future with the CSA's blessing, because USL will be an obvious step up from what is happening with CanPL. It's finally time to walk the walk now and match words with action, rhetoric and aspiration alone are no longer going to cut it.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

None of that is clear yet and I'd be interested to find out whether David Clanachan thought they would be forced into CanPL for next year by the CSA when he was confidently stating there would be 8 teams not so long ago.

They never thought they could force them directly, hence them not being in the inaugural season. They disagree on a few matters and didn't work out. 

What the CSA does is a separate matter.

CanPL is in an awkward, but by no stretch of the imagination fatal, situation at the moment. Many of the core followers of the league have been fired up by podcasters into viewing it as a rival to MLS rather than as a series of relatively low budget teams comprised to a significant extent of elite amateur or very low level semi-pro players from leagues like L1O, the OSL, PLSQ, the PCSL and VMSL.

Most of us hardcore already knew the league would be below MLS, the league itself acknowledged that long ago. 

It will take time to make up a 20 years head starts that the MLS enjoys.

If as is looking increasingly likely it turns out to be the latter they need to get their marketing just right and do a very good job on attracting the highest quality of players they possibly can on the available budgets or they will lose out on a lot of sales they were counting on from people on their membership lists, and they badly need to get the identity of franchise #8, and to a lesser extent #9 and #10 announced now even if it's only provisionally for 2020 or 2021 to give the league the aura of stability that it needs.

They'll be fine, looking at other leagues that started 20 years ago, their level was also low and they came from a long way. We won't be different. 

Before you hit me with the MLS/USL being in Canada factor, yes it is a factor which puts York 9 in the toughest situation. However, outside of Ottawa region and to some extend the some hardcores in the GTA, NO ONE lost sleep over the Fury nor follow them. The 3 MLS teams ARE NOT a National thing, they are in their own markets dare I say city events. The rest of the country don't follow MLS or those 3 but are hungry for soccer, hence the league not starting in those 3 markets at first.

As for BADLY needing to get to team 10 by season 2020, MLS started with only 10 teams, less than announced and started later than announced. They nearly folded and look at them today. CPL securing team #8 for 2019 and having 10 teams for 2020 is A MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT in CANADA.

Can't you take comfort into that? 

If any of that goes wrong I suspect Ottawa could easily be steering clear for the foreseeable future with the CSA's blessing, because USL will be an obvious step up from what is happening with CanPL. It's finally time to walk the walk now and match words with action, rhetoric and aspiration alone are no longer going to cut it.

You mean the Fury, not Ottawa. That no compete clause was taken off the contract with the city when the Lansdowne park deal was made between the city and OSEG.

Ottawa will have a CPL team. We all wish it to be the Fury, but there's no godly law that says it must be OSEG. CPL won't stay clear of that city forever before looking for alternatives.

Pointing at the NY Cosmos

Edited by Ansem