Ottawa CPL Club

Yes, you would never see CanPL leaking info out to someone like Duane Rollins so that their preferred narrative gets spread widely on social media. Those tweets help illustrate how David Clanachan's statements were not incompatable with the info emanating by tweet and reddit from Ottawa if you read it all carefully, and that it isn't a case of deciding who to believe but more a case of figuring out how it all fits together.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I don’t know if they’d be given the chance to

Or they'd have the choice to sell to the new investors as they get the notice that their USL sanction won't be renewed...while getting the CPL voicemail for the hundreath time

As Bettman painfully demonstrated in the matter of NHL v. Balsillie in court, a league is FULLY ENTITLED to pick it's owners.

The league could say yes to Fury but blacklist OSEG

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or they'd have the choice to sell to the new investors as they get the notice that their USL sanction won't be renewed...while getting the CPL voicemail for the hundreath time

As Bettman painfully demonstrated in the matter of NHL v. Balsillie in court, a league is FULLY ENTITLED to pick it's owners.

This country is a graveyard of failed sports ventures and I can understand OSEG taking a wait and see attitude on the CPL.

Just look at the fact that tonight is the launch of a GTA Major Arena Soccer League team, someone out there thinks it's a good idea and is willing to spend money on it. Does this mean we will see mass expansion of the MASL into Canada, who knows, but as history shows these things fail more often than they succeed. Anyone remember the Canada Baseball League?

I do not see the CPL blacklisting OSEG based on the fact that Bob Young who in many ways is the reason we have a CPL is also a CFL owner. Jeff Hunt is very respected in the Ottawa community. You want the best owners who understand the community not some outsider. 

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

There are other CFL owners involved in CPL too though, so I'm not sure if Winnipeg or Bob Young would necessarily be interested in drawing a hardline on a fellow CFL owner in OSEG.

edit: @Cblake and I were thinking the same thing I see

Edited by LAK

44 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This country is a graveyard of failed sports ventures and I can understand OSEG taking a wait and see attitude on the CPL.

I did say that their rationale was logical. The way they handled it in the media is in my view a disaster in terms of relationship with both the CSA and CPL just to spin their decision to their fans. Unnecessary and idiotic

Listening to this podcast

https://amp.reddit.com/r/CanadianPL/comments/9f1zf3/lcrv_159_fury_speculation_cpl_state_of_the_league/?__twitter_impression=true

Not helping...

Just look at the fact that tonight is the launch of a GTA Major Arena Soccer League team, someone out there thinks it's a good idea and is willing to spend money on it. Does this mean we will see mass expansion of the MASL into Canada, who knows, but as history shows these things fail more often than they succeed. Anyone remember the Canada Baseball League?

Exactly... so you expect CPL to tolerate the Fury delegitimizing their league making their launch harder with the money they invested in it with the risks that represent when they didnt have too?

They are furious, believe me.

I do not see the CPL blacklisting OSEG based on the fact that Bob Young who in many ways is the reason we have a CPL is also a CFL owner. Jeff Hunt is very respected in the Ottawa community. You want the best owners who understand the community not some outsider

Business is NEVER personal. That's why owners hire subordinates to talk to the other parties. Bell and Roger's are partners in MLSE but they are actively trying to kill (metaphorically) one another on the telecom field. That's what we call BUSINESS.

CFL owners can work with one another for the good of CFL, not because they necessarily like each other but because it's what's good for their own interest.

It's a mistake to assume that partnership in CFL stops Winnipeg and Hamilton from being living from what OSEG just pulled. OSEG move delegitimize the league, which potentially could hurt the bottom line of both Winnipeg and Hamilton. Assuming that its "water under the bridge" because they are CFL partners is not understanding what business is. HELL, we all want potentially the Roughriders to jump in for a Saskatchewan derby with Sasktoon, you think this drama helps making the jump??? There are consequences to their public screw ups which shouldn't be taken lightly.

It's cutthroat, kill or be kill, you don't get to the top by being nice or forgiving.

Jeff Hunt doesn't have the monopoly of understanding the community. Money buys that through consultants and marketing services. People need to let go of this "Carebear" image of Corporate Canada. The truly successful ones are just as cunning and cutthroat as the rest. I'm trying to start my own business and I have to think consistently on how to protect my investment and out think people out there.

Canadians being always "nice" is a stereotype, not reality

Edited by Ansem

25 minutes ago, LAK said:

There are other CFL owners involved in CPL too though, so I'm not sure if Winnipeg or Bob Young would necessarily be interested in drawing a hardline on a fellow CFL owner in OSEG.

edit: @Cblake and I were thinking the same thing I see

If you attack their financial interests? Try it and let me know and we'll see how fast they punish you for it.

That's how the business world works

Edited by Ansem

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If you attack their financial interests? Try it and let me know and we'll see how fast they punish you for it.

That's how the business world works

True, that makes sense. I guess Hunt and OSEG could feel like their financial interests are being attacked too. The idea that someone still has to do business with them in another league (CFL) and might need their vote on something might alter the way they deal with them in this league.  No one wants to burn bridges. That is also how the business world works.

54 minutes ago, LAK said:

True, that makes sense. I guess Hunt and OSEG could feel like their financial interests are being attacked too. The idea that someone still has to do business with them in another league (CFL) and might need their vote on something might alter the way they deal with them in this league.  No one wants to burn bridges. That is also how the business world works.

The bridge may be burned that’s the point. Maybe it should be for now, but not forever.. put a team in Hull.  

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The bridge may be burned that’s the point. Maybe it should be for now, but not forever.. put a team in Hull.  

100% correct.

If I'm CPL, I put a team in Gatineau and watch how fast the Fury blinks.

On top of that, you get the battle of the Ottawa river... Quebec vs Ontario, French vs. English.

You can't lose with that course of action. Quebec City would be a major draw in Gatineau 

If the Fury doesn't blink, than move forward with Ottawa proper. 

That's how MLS handled NY Cosmos. 1st a team in Jersey (NYRB), then when the NY Cosmos got delusional again implemented NYCFC.

Edited by Ansem

On 9/10/2018 at 11:03 AM, Ansem said:

http://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more

We’ve had interest from Ottawa from multiple parties, which is very important to us. We believe that the nation’s capital is a great place for a club, so we’ll be looking at that as well.”

Fn told you so

Could you provide an update regarding the Ottawa Fury’s decision to remain in the USL?

“Let me start by saying that we are committed to the city of Ottawa and think it will be a great Canadian Premier League market. Let’s be clear, in order for us to be a truly successful Canadian league, we need to be in our nation’s capital. We have a positive relationship with OSEG overall and value the financial commitments they have made to soccer in Ottawa, and we will see where this goes in the future.

“As far as a specific ownership group goes, we’ve had many discussions with the Fury and with OSEG through the last three years. They were very much included in all information and strategy over that time. As for a transition to the Canadian Premier League, we were quite willing to adapt in a number of areas, because we recognized the fact that they were an existing team playing in the USL this year, under different circumstances. We were prepared to accommodate them, specifically around details like players, soccer operations and player salaries. We had actually offered to have them operate under the exact same circumstances as they are now. We felt like we presented a series of accommodations on a number of different things in order for Ottawa to feel confident about playing in the Canadian Premier League. We did everything we could to help them feel welcome. Unfortunately, they made a different decision and we were surprised after the accommodations we had proposed, when they notified us last week that they were prepared to continue to operate in the USL.

“There are very few countries in the world that operate their own, independent domestic professional league while also permitting two different foreign leagues to operate inside their borders.  To reach our potential in world soccer, we as Canadians need to become the agent of our own soccer future. In the USL, the focus of control is based in the U.S. and Canadian interests will always be subjugated by the interests of American soccer. This would continue to leave us dependent and underdeveloped as a soccer country.”

“From a salary and soccer operations budget, we’re north of seven figures. We have a very robust payroll package setup for our clubs. It’s important that we do that. We’ll have players at different levels of payroll based on their experience and their abilities. And, I’m pleased to say we are getting enquiries from Canadian players that have gone abroad and are playing in leagues outside of Canada, that now want to come back home. There’s no better sign of a positive attitude toward what we’re creating here than Canadians who are already playing professionally wanting to come home. Frankly, I don’t blame them.”

I find it interesting that after literally days of you saying "Rules rules rules.  It's great the CPL stood by their rules.  They should never bend their rules to accommodate Ottawa" you've literally ignored that the CPL caved on their rules in order to try to get Ottawa in.  And further, it still wasn't enough.  That should tell you at least something about the CPL.

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Why are they worried about tearing down their middle of the pack team ?

Based on what has appeared on twitter and reddit and has been mentioned in interviews it's because they are worried whether their fans would still show up to watch a team of significantly lower quality due to the cap being almost half of what they are spending this season and are still unsure based on what they are seeing happening elsewhere whether CanPL is going to be as stable and successful as USL currently is.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I find it interesting that after literally days of you saying "Rules rules rules.  It's great the CPL stood by their rules.  They should never bend their rules to accommodate Ottawa" you've literally ignored that the CPL caved on their rules in order to try to get Ottawa in.  And further, it still wasn't enough.  That should tell you at least something about the CPL.

They're nicer than I thought. Still disagree on the bending part after they stock up on all available Canadian out there prior to the 1st season.

Not that I like using Fury Fanatic as a source but seems like this was a 1 year exemption only and would have to tear it out after, which still according to him and his sources, the league was unwilling to bend.

That's called overplaying your hand

The salary cap (whatever it's going to be) might have be an issue in year 2 but unless Ottawa is willing to sign their talent to multi year contracts they're under threat from rival clubs whether they're in USL, CPL, or wherever.

A willingness to outspend their CPL rivals might help with that but I have a hard time imagining there is going to be a lot of daylight between Ottawa's real player budget and the CPL salary cap. 

17 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm getting a feeling that we won't actually get a hard number for the cap until fairly close to launch. They probably have a rough number they've agreed to collectively but want to see the types of players they can attract first

It's the best course of action. It helps the league's bargaining power. Hence why people linked to the Fury front office leaking numbers was a huge mistake which must have made the league livid.

Very unprofessional behavior

Edited by Ansem

Man, somebody's gotta say it so it might as well as be me, having had Fury seasons back in Ottawa, and a Day 1 York 9 FC member.

Any non-Fury pro soccer team in Ottawa-Gatineau is nearly guaranteed to pull membership numbers similar to York 9.

There are just not many people out there in Ottawa-Gatineau who are going to ditch the Fury to sign up for CPL Ottawa-Gatineau, even if you've seen a few of them on this board, on Twitter and on other social media. Most of the "support local soccer" type are already on the Fury, and few will ditch, even those who are fervently pro-CPL. A bunch of the Ottawa pro-CPL fans are slowly making peace with the 2020 and beyond timeline, as terrible as it is for the launch as many of us including myself have argued.

There is only one league that's going to whip up the city in soccer frenzy, considering the Fury have really settled their base since launching in NASL, and it ain't the CPL. And we all know MLS in Ottawa ain't happening either. The best course of action is to convince the Fury to join CPL asap. It's a real shame it's not for 2019.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just find it odd that the Fury have chosen this year specifically to accumulate more Canadian players than they have in any other recent year.  Given USL's lack of a CanCon quota, that seems like an intentionally confrontational act at a time when CPL will be seeking Canadian talent.

They 100% did it with the intention of joining CPL for 2019, as is what OSEG did want for most of this 3-year negotiating process, regardless of what Mark Goudie says publicly. I believe it's just that the negotiations broke down because the two sides were so far apart privately in their vision for the 2019 CPL season.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just find it odd that the Fury have chosen this year specifically to accumulate more Canadian players than they have in any other recent year.  Given USL's lack of a CanCon quota, that seems like an intentionally confrontational act at a time when CPL will be seeking Canadian talent.

Strongly suspect they were doing it in anticipation of entering a CanPL that would have a salary cap of around $1 to 1.5 million that would give them a team as now that would be able to give the MLS teams a reasonable game in Voyageurs Cup competition, and have been turned off by the way CanPL has downsized to something that now appears uncomfortably close to being semi-pro.

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The podcast I posted earlier also said the same.

Fury gambled that they could get in the league while stacking up all the best Canadian talents outside of top leagues and run with the CPL trophy (maybe). I'm surprised that CPL was willing to let them do that for year 1, but perpetuity? No way that would have made sense.

If the Fury gave them multi-year contracts, then they screwed themselves and might have ended up overpaying some of them. Even with all that spending, look where they are in the standings... Not really impressive.

Nothing wrong at making that gamble, but to me, the Fury are the inflexible party here and on top of that, messing up with the league's launch by having drones leaking numbers on line...This lowers the league's bargaining power.

I'm a broken record in regards to the Fury, but MLS didn't put up with a fraction of that in regards to the NY Cosmos. Clanachan talking multiple groups for Ottawa is a severe warning or threat.

Edited by Ansem