Honduras - July 14th Pre-game thread

TRM

So they get a 3-0 result by default and I'm thinking that might be okay. Had they been motivated by losing to the Ticos and really took it to FG they probably would have won with a larger goal diff. They will be better rested than if they had to actually play rather than go through the motions like they did tonight. I hope it makes them a bit complacent.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you might think "lets just be safe and get a draw to finish second" NO. Let knock these dirty bastards out of the cup altogether

Second place does look better than first or third but that's irrelevant. We need to just go out and try to beat everyone in front of us. We seriously owe these guys one anyway. 

It won't be an easy game though. If card accumulation carries into the QFs, can we risk playing Arfield? These are CONCACAF refs after all. Does OZ rest Davies? He's already stated that he wants to use this tournament to look at some of his players. I'm guessing we'll see a few guys get the night off. 

Still I think we're good enough to beat these guys. Would be sweet to send them packing.

I wouldn't mind starting Osorio and Edwards to get rotation in and rest Davies and Arfield (who is on a yellow). Wven replacing one or two of the CBs to get Straith and James in. I'd loves for all of the outfield players to get a chance to play. Jakovic/Vitoria is not a huge drop off to our backup CBs at all

The strategy against Honduras is a tough one.

- Substantially rotate the squad, continuing OZ's idea of giving the whole squad meaningful, competitive minutes in advance of next WCQ (a GC philosophy that many of us were calling for in the buildup to the tourney)

- Rest just a couple of players that we will absolutely need in the next round, who are either a bit injured (Davies) or on a yellow (Arfield - who plays with such intensity that a yellow is always a distinct possibility).

- Go flat out with our best available players to try and eliminate Honduras from the touney (an option that could give me - and my wife - so much satisfaction)

I really don't know my preference.  As much as I would truly love to beat Honduras, if the math suggests we are already through to the next round with 4 pts, it is hard to risk losing Arfield to suspension or Davies by aggravating a minor injury.  I don't know who we will face in the next round, but it is safe to say that it will be a challenging game - and those are two guys we would absolutely need on the field later in the tourney..  The opportunity to potentially advance to the semis (if they contribute to a QF win) suggests that they probably shouldn't face the pissbaggers, but man it would be hard to sit through a game where Honduras takes the initiative and two of our best players are sitting on the bench.   Some of the possible subs (Cav for AJH) are a bit more straightforward based on what we have seen, but I am pretty conflicted about the tougher choices.  I will be good with whatever OZ chooses - I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us..

What we do against Honduras might be a bit more clear in the coming days as we see results from the other groups. If it looks possible/likely that 3rd place in the other two groups could have 4 points, then that might force our hand a bit more to go out and try to win this one.

I'd love to knockout Honduras. It's a shame that because of French Guiana's shenanigans if we do beat Honduras, we'll still probably have to wait a couple days to see how the other games shake down to confirm if we have eliminated them or not. If that game had been a legitimate draw, then we'd know right away if we beat them or likely even if we draw them that they are done.

Also, I just caught bits and pieces of the game last night, but someone (Quioto?) got a yellow for Honduras and they said he won't be able to play against Canada as a result of accumulation. Presumably if the game ends up being a 3-0 forfeit, the cards in that game won't matter, which is another unfortunate result of French Guiana's sullying of the tournament.

44 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I wouldn't mind starting Osorio and Edwards to get rotation in and rest Davies and Arfield (who is on a yellow). Wven replacing one or two of the CBs to get Straith and James in. I'd loves for all of the outfield players to get a chance to play. Jakovic/Vitoria is not a huge drop off to our backup CBs at all

The only players that have not played yet are Osorio, Edwards, James, Leutwiler and Straith. OZ could potentially get both Oso and Edwards into the line-up vs Honduras and one of James or Straith. I think James would help with the lack of aerial presence in our defence.

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

cards in that game won't matter, which is another unfortunate result of French Guiana's sullying of the tournament.

I think that every stats count other than goals scored by the team that lose by forfeit. Might be wrong though.

So to sum it up if the results stay as is. Honduras would need to beat us by 3 goals to finish ahead of us. If the results are reversed we need to just not lose. And if us and Costa rica both win then they would need to win by at least 3 more goals than us to overtake first place.

I never understood this stigma with Honduras even before the 8-1 demolition 4 years ago.  There not Brasil.  Yeah Canadian Nats had a shitty manager and average players trying to get a result, but they're not world beaters.  Maybe because I watch CONMEBOL matches where every country now had greatly elevated there play even playing against Argentina and Brasil, but still Central America is not world class for player selections.  I think we need to change our mindset that we can get any results down there through hardwork and offensive tactics.  Davies is already getting double teamed which is good as he gets better he can learn to quickly pass to other Nats players that are open.

53 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

The only players that have not played yet are Osorio, Edwards, James, Leutwiler and Straith. OZ could potentially get both Oso and Edwards into the line-up vs Honduras and one of James or Straith. I think James would help with the lack of aerial presence in our defence.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if all 5 started ... I know that sounds a little crazy, but resting Borjan, Jako, Vitoria, Davies, and Arfield sounds perfect.  Vitoria and Arfield are both on a yellow, so we would guarantee their availability for the quarters. Of course this strategy would be perfect if the other games go our way between now and the Honduras match, e.g., if Panama and U.S. pummel their opponents tonight, that would be nice.

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So to sum it up if the results stay as is. Honduras would need to beat us by 3 goals to finish ahead of us. If the results are reversed we need to just not lose. And if us and Costa rica both win then they would need to win by at least 3 more goals than us to overtake first place.

Honduras, on actual match results, is -1 on GD. We are +2. If they beat us by 2 goals, that would leave us even on points and swing the GD in their favor (+1 to 0).

From a player stand point the biggest concern I have in this match is to make sure Arfield doesn't get another card so he misses the QF.  I propose that Bernier and Teibert join Piette in the starting midfield for this one.  Also, I think Cavallini needs to return up top to help with possession maintenance in his target man role.  Edwards might also get a look in, as well, but not sure if he gets to go as a starter or off the bench.

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

From a player stand point the biggest concern I have in this match is to make sure Arfield doesn't get another card so he misses the QF.  I propose that Bernier and Teibert join Piette in the starting midfield for this one.  Also, I think Cavallini needs to return up top to help with possession maintenance in his target man role.  Edwards might also get a look in, as well, but not sure if he gets to go as a starter or off the bench.

I think Bernier-Teibert is the most likely pairing, but I would like to see Bernier-Osorio. I have lingering concerns about Osorio's work rate, but he has done some good defensive work in Toronto and without Arfield, I think we need Osorio. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Kaye next to Bernier, but Osorio would be my choice. I feel comfortable with Piette holding behind them.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We could be facing a very unique and not very welcoming situation where our opponents could be credited with having scored 3 goals in two games but still would be long overdue to score an actual goal.

TBH I'd rather be facing that scenario than one when our opponent needs to win, and possibly by several goals, in order to advance.

Archived