Honduras - July 14th Pre-game thread

TRM

Hoilett on the right with petrasso hopefully like last Friday and have Edwards play the left with de Jong.

not sure about osorio starting, really haven't rated him this season or for Canada ever.. especially in gold cups. Teibert on the other hand has been great off the bench his last 2 appearances. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, killgod said:

Just realized that should we win (by 1), Costa Rica would have had to have a win by 3 or more to take the group from us.

Not a bad position to be in.  Scoring goals makes scenarios more fun eh?

Right, even if Costa Rica won by 2 we'd win on tiebreaker with GF..

25 minutes ago, killgod said:

Just realized that should we win (by 1), Costa Rica would have had to have a win by 3 or more to take the group from us.

Not a bad position to be in.  Scoring goals makes scenarios more fun eh?

Now watch us win by 1, after French Guiana put Ronaldo (maybe even both Ronaldos) on the field against Costa Rica.

Finishing first will probably mean facing Panama in the quarter...finishing second likely means Jamaica in quarter. Not sure either or is preferential over the other... 

Though coming first in our group would basically mean avoiding Mexico and Costa Rica up until final..

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Finishing first will probably mean facing Panama in the quarter...finishing second likely means Jamaica in quarter. Not sure either or is preferential over the other... 

Though coming first in our group would basically mean avoiding Mexico and Costa Rica up until final..

Now knowing the QF/SF is 90 mins then straight to PK's, I wonder if Mexico in the SF is better?  Play for 0-0 or 1-1 then see what luck we have?

Canada has played well enough to play with anyone in this tournament so far..CR on paper has the best team in the tournament right now...does it change if Mexico and the US call up some guys?? possibly..but through 180 minutes no reason to think Canada doesn't have a shot against anyone

20 minutes ago, killgod said:

Now knowing the QF/SF is 90 mins then straight to PK's, I wonder if Mexico in the SF is better?  Play for 0-0 or 1-1 then see what luck we have?

I have only seen a bit of Mexico play in the El Salvador game but they didn't seem that dominant. I have seen both of the US games and they haven't looked that dominant either. Ultimately the US and Mexico can call up some players but I don't know if it matters that much which side of the bracket we end up on....I think this tournament is up for grabs.

The only question I have with the squad rotation is whether or not Arfield starts.  If Oz decides yes, then I don't think you'll see Osorio except possibly as a sub.  But then again, OZ might surprise once more like he did with starting Kaye.

3 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

It's been 3 days. I would expect rotation. Bernier will be back! I hope Raheem Edwards get's a chance. Although he was a bit over-awed by Curacao.

You'll see changes, for sure.  I just wondered about Arfield being one of them.  Edwards may get a shot ahead of Davies.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

You'll see changes, for sure.  I just wondered about Arfield being one of them.  Edwards may get a shot ahead of Davies.

I've watched maybe a third of TFC's matches this season. Can someone who has watched more TFC and isn't so heavily biased against them as I am tell us if Edwards offers anywhere near as much as Davies going forward?

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I've watched maybe a third of TFC's matches this season. Can someone who has watched more TFC and isn't so heavily biased against them as I am tell us if Edwards offers anywhere near as much as Davies going forward?

I've been to every TFC home game so far and watched all away games.

The difference between the two right now is not much iMO. However the slight difference is that Raheem is more of a creator/assistor vs Davies being a finisher/finding the spots to go to goal.

They both have pace, and the ability to beat the first man. Raheem will beat the first man and look for the next pass, where Alphonso will beat the first man, and look to beat the second....but all in all he's always looking to go towards net.

I think think he reason Edwards is the odd man out, is because Hoilett is his competition. Reason why Oz put him on his non dominant side (RM) because basically that spot was up for grabs.

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Edwards wouldn't be as big a scoring threat as Davies but would probably be a bit better as a winger in possession/passing...

11 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The difference between the two right now is not much iMO. However the slight difference is that Raheem is more of a creator/assistor vs Davies being a finisher/finding the spots to go to goal.

They both have pace, and the ability to beat the first man. Raheem will beat the first man and look for the next pass, where Alphonso will beat the first man, and look to beat the second....but all in all he's always looking to go towards net.

This

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I haven't seen Davies put in as sweet a cross as Edwards can but I think he's more of a threat to score. He looks to be a bit faster too. I'd really like to see if Edwards can supply Cavallini.

I'd say Edwards has been better in mls than Davies but for the national team Davies has just took his shot and ran with it.. I don't think he's shown us anything that Edwards couldn't do just as well, just opportunistic whereas Edwards didn't shine against curaçao. 

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I'd say Edwards has been better in mls than Davies but for the national team Davies has just took his shot and ran with it.. I don't think he's shown us anything that Edwards couldn't do just as well, just opportunistic whereas Edwards didn't shine against curaçao. 

You could also make an argument that Edwards' performance in MLS benefits from having a superior team around him. Here, Davies has cashed in on his chances in front of goal and that has certainly been a difference.  That said, I wouldn't might seeing Edwards getting the opportunity to show what he can do alongside Cavallini up top and Arfield providing service. 

7 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Is Alvarado playing? I just realized that he was replaced by Tyler Pasher at Swope Park Rangers.

Haven't been on Twitter much so don't know from there but Waking The Red questioned it in their preview of the game.  Just looked on Google and didn't find anything new news related to his status.

Archived