Honduras - July 14th Pre-game thread

TRM

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, shermanator said:

My main question going into Friday's game is how many Calgary V's will show  up to the watch party? Sounds like turnout for the first two games wasn't great. 

There was 5 of us there last night. Sparse attendance but all were in good spirits, loud and boistrous. The staff were great and the speakers on the table allowed us to hear the game over the background noise. 

The staff did say we would have a larger section in a better area for the next game. 

I encourage everyone to come out for the match against the honduran diving team. Bring friends. 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Bernier-Teibert is the most likely pairing, but I would like to see Bernier-Osorio. I have lingering concerns about Osorio's work rate, but he has done some good defensive work in Toronto and without Arfield, I think we need Osorio. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Kaye next to Bernier, but Osorio would be my choice. I feel comfortable with Piette holding behind them.

I think it would be fairly telling if Arfield was sitting out but Osorio was bypassed as a starter.

7 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don't want them to sit Arfield.  We can't play for a tie and hope against Honduras, we have to beat them cleanly.

Bernier, Piette, Arfield for the midfield if it was up to me.

What happens if arfield picks up a yellow and misses the quarters though? 

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Had to avoid laughing out loud because I would then have to explain the whole backstory to my wife.

"penetrate the box"! (Lost opportunity on that joke, methinks). Still damned funny. 

Filled my wife in on this thread, and looks like I'm sitting on the sidelines tonight. :(

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don't want them to sit Arfield.  We can't play for a tie and hope against Honduras, we have to beat them cleanly.

Bernier, Piette, Arfield for the midfield if it was up to me.

Yeah, and start Cavallini up top, with Edwards and Aird on the wings. Bring Junior and Davies on at 60m to get the winner.

7 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Let's 100% get to the quarters and then worry about it then.  Let's not count our chickens until they're hatched.

If we don't get to quarters with 4 points i'll delete my account

It's very possible that if we lose to Honduras then we won't make thenext round.

Here's a scenario (there are several) El Salvador gets a tie vs Jamaica and Martinique gets a win or tie vs Panama we won't advance depending on the tiebreakers.

Thats a very plausible outcome here.  I don't think considering there's plausible scenarios we don't advance that Zombrano is in a position to not play to win vs Honduras.

9 hours ago, king1010 said:

What happens if arfield picks up a yellow and misses the quarters though? 

We made the quarters and we're happy.  We can't assume we're going through automatically.  We have to play to win the game (insert meme/GIF here)

I am still on the fence about Arfield playing. 

There is a very realistic scenario that we are already through to the next round with 4 points.  Canadian V pessimism (ie. realism) aside, we are in great shape. 

In the event that our current 4 points is enough to carry us through, t would really, really suck to face a beatable opponent in the QF's and not have arguably our best player available.  We would most likely either face Mexico or one of Panama/US, and for any of those games Arfield would be key to advancing.  I get the idea of going all-out for the win against Honduras - for both pride and security in the tourney, but Arfield's constant level of intensity means there is always the potential to draw a yellow. 

Folks are probably right that he needs to play - and (importantly) OZ probably agrees with that - but the thought of advancing but losing him for the next round is really, really troubling - in part because I think this is the best chance we have had to make a big impact in this tournament in a long time.

if we lose by 1 against Honduras we are through (assuming they don't give Honduras 3 points vs. FG). If we lose by 2 or more, there is a very real chance we are eliminated assuming Martinique ties Panama or ES / Curacao gets a win and a draw in their next two games....

I have a BAD feeling we will go into the Honduras game needing a tie and no matter what, we will not know for sure if we are in until after the final games unless we tie/beat Honduras.

actually, no matter what we need to tie Honduras to see ourselves through at midnight tomorrow. Or if CONCACAF says the Honduras game is officially 0-0 vs. FG, then we can lose by one and secure our trip to the quarter final

40 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

have you looked at 2011's 3rd place rankings recently..

I can't believe I forgot that.  Yes in 2011 we had 4 points as did all the 3rd place teams and didn't get in on goal differential because El Salvador beat Cuba 6-1 in the last game of qualifying and Panama scored in extra time against us.  

That's why you have to play to win all the time.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

I can't believe I forgot that.  Yes in 2011 we had 4 points as did all the 3rd place teams and didn't get in on goal differential because El Salvador beat Cuba 6-1 in the last game of qualifying and Panama scored in extra time against us.  

That's why you have to play to win all the time.

yup...but all the same our GD and GF I think has us in a strong position right now...a lot of things would have to line up perfectly for us to be outside the 3rd place qualifiers...not saying it's impossible though

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am still on the fence about Arfield playing. 

There is a very realistic scenario that we are already through to the next round with 4 points.  Canadian V pessimism (ie. realism) aside, we are in great shape. 

In the event that our current 4 points is enough to carry us through, t would really, really suck to face a beatable opponent in the QF's and not have arguably our best player available.  We would most likely either face Mexico or one of Panama/US, and for any of those games Arfield would be key to advancing.  I get the idea of going all-out for the win against Honduras - for both pride and security in the tourney, but Arfield's constant level of intensity means there is always the potential to draw a yellow. 

Folks are probably right that he needs to play - and (importantly) OZ probably agrees with that - but the thought of advancing but losing him for the next round is really, really troubling - in part because I think this is the best chance we have had to make a big impact in this tournament in a long time.

This isn't even a debate for me.

I'd rather lose to Honduras with Arfield and be totally screwed for a match against 1B/1C than lose without Arfield and just be slightly less screwed for a match against 1B/1C when they bring in all the ringers.

34 minutes ago, theaub said:

This isn't even a debate for me.

I'd rather lose to Honduras with Arfield and be totally screwed for a match against 1B/1C than lose without Arfield and just be slightly less screwed for a match against 1B/1C when they bring in all the ringers.

Fair enough - but I would point out that there are more options than losing to Honduras with or without Arfield.  For example, we could actually not lose...

Archived