CPL TV Contract

13 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Make of this what you will:

As I'm trying to understand the deal, if I get it right, it's actually GENIUS

Production will be world class. Should be available on multiple plateform including DAZN and beIN. The genius is that they can sell content to domestic & International medias without them having to worry about production. This means, (in theory), nothing prevents Sportsnet or TSN to "buy" the inaugural game and/group of games or all the games.

Anyone wanting Canadian content must go through them

If that's the case....Genius

Edited by Ansem

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What the fuck is this video?! Are they trying to sell us on El Classico?! Okay got it, can we talk about the CPL?

And for all of you wanting to know where to watch the CPL in the comfort of your own homes or on the go, this is the moment you have all been waiting for... oh sorry the video ran too long and we are out of time. Thats a wrap everyone!

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Production will be world class. Should be available on multiple plateform including DAZN and beIN. The genius is that they can sell content to domestic medias without them having to worry about production. This means, (in theory), nothing prevents Sportsnet or TSN to "buy" the inaugural game and/group of games or all the games.

This is my understanding of the deal. I agree with dsqpr, doubt if we will hear anything specific today. If it's for as much money as rumoured this IS a great day for Canada Soccer!!!

12 minutes ago, saladroit said:

I wonder how much control they're going to have over where it goes and advertising. Like MediaPro could seek to limit it to their platforms or partnered platforms.

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Production will be world class. Should be available on multiple plateform including DAZN and beIN. The genius is that they can sell content to domestic & International medias without them having to worry about production. This means, (in theory), nothing prevents Sportsnet or TSN to "buy" the inaugural game and/group of games or all the games.

Anyone wanting Canadian content must go through them

Apparently MediaPro DOES NOT LIKE DAZN. Like they seem to be at war in Europe over media rights. This might lead to a new platform entering Canada...

Like I said we have no idea where stuff is going or if the CPL has any real say

Also I think the national team rights were the biggest thing with the 2026 World Cup

Edited by matty

200 million in what? Production? Rights? What's the split between CPL, CMNT, CWNT? 

This has gotta go down as a stupid decision. The league now has no control over where the content is broadcast. Additionally, as a startup league, their primary goal should be exposure, I'm afraid this move is not in line with that goal. MediaPro's interest will mostly likely be to license the rights to the highest bidder, which may not necessarily lead to the most exposure.

Also, a 10 year deal wth? I didn't like it when MLS signed an 8 year deal, I don't like it now. EPL deals are usually 4 years max, which allows them to re-negotiate the value of their rights more frequently thereby increasing their net income much quicker.

5 minutes ago, zen said:

200 million in what? Production? Rights? What's the split between CPL, CMNT, CWNT? 

This has gotta go down as a stupid decision. The league now has no control over where the content is broadcast. Additionally, as a startup league, their primary goal should be exposure, I'm afraid this move is not in line with that goal. MediaPro's interest will mostly likely be to license the rights to the highest bidder, which may not necessarily lead to the most exposure.

Also, a 10 year deal wth? I didn't like it when MLS signed an 8 year deal, I don't like it now. EPL deals are usually 4 years max, which allows them to re-negotiate the value of their rights more frequently thereby increasing their net income much quicker.

It might be stupid, the league is definitely secure money wise but you know this could cost them in advertising and could make the league even more cult like in canada if it's trapped on something like a newly introduced Moviestar+ app

Edited by matty

28 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What the fuck is this video?! Are they trying to sell us on El Classico?! Okay got it, can we talk about the CPL?

Ive been told that twice as many people globally watch El Classico compared to the Super Bowl. The were showing that they were a driving force in that popularity and what they do globally to make that happen. All while showcasing their production ability

Maybe because I have experience working in media and marketing but its funny to me how people see this and go.. yah so what.. gives us a schedule! Not trying to be a jerk but try and use your imagination. These guys will make a tsn production look like Waynes World

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, ted said:

My source said the deal is worth $150 Million to the league. So that would mean $15M per year, plus production costs, would easily be $200M. 

Holy shit... More incentive for potential investors on the fence to pull the trigger and join the league!

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Holy shit... More incentive for potential investors on the fence to pull the trigger and join the league!

hey people have the right to be like "what fuck is happening imma confused". a very large spanish company just like bought the league and our national team program (WHICH IS THE BIGGER NEWS, THE CSA HAS REAL FUCK MONEY) and we have no idea where we're going to get to watch.

Wonder how much the CSA will be getting from this $20m a year deal

side note: Forlan deal is probably done now. The money is there lol

Edited by matty

24 minutes ago, Alex D said:

So in summary, the CPL has partnered with a very large media company that is giving them a truck load of money and has terrific record of sports content production. However, we still have no clue how we are going to watch.

Awesome!?!

They holds ALL the rights to the game in Canada. If ANYONE (Home or Foreign) (youtube, Instagram, DAZN, France 1, NBC, ESPN, beIN, Sky, TSN, Sportsnet, TSN, TVA, RDS, CBC...name it)---wants to buy any Canadian content, they have to go through MEDIAPRO which will be selling a world class product.

Since they are producing it and putting their money into, it is also in their best interest to find buyers which won't be limited to Canada, from around the world to at least break even but most likely get much more in return.

In a nutshell, they outsourced that part of the business to MEDIAPRO. This gives CPL roughly 10 years to either

1. Develop the expertise and take over at the end of the contract
  2. Use the increased value over time of the content to cash in BIG TIME in 10 years with networks potentially taking over production + paying even more down the road
  3. Keep MEDIAPRO but pull back on the level of control they have over the rights.

Hopes this helps, for a brand new league like CPL, it's really the best deal you'll get

Edited by Ansem