CPL TV Contract

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I’m confused so the CSA sold the rights to the national team games to Mediapro aswell ?

Yes, the deal is for all media rights owned by Canada Soccer (Voyageurs Cup, CMNT and CWNT) and the CPL (including League1 Ontario) which are collectively managed by Canadian Soccer Business, who brokered the deal with Mediapro.

Edited by Zem

18 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I suspect the rights for national teams games primarily apply to friendlies....because if they are playing in a tournament the broadcast rights then fall under the specific tournament owners no? ie CONCACAF, FIFA, etc...

For tournaments like the Gold Cup, CONCACAF League and Champions League yes, but the media rights for matches played in WCQs, Nations League and other national team qualifying tournaments are held by the hosting federation. So I believe any friendly or competitive Canadian MNT or WNT match played in Canada which isn't part of the Gold Cup or a women's/youth CONCACAF Championship will be produced by Mediapro under this deal.

Edited by Zem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Simplistic and most likely somewhat inaccurate as the league will expand but fun!

*Ottawa didn't need that money :D

Remember when we were arguing about whether the salary cap was over or under $1m per year?  $2.9m per year might cover some of these teams' annual entire expenses.

I won't pretend I understand all the nuance, or that I have any idea how I am going to actually watch a CPL game in 2 months.

But a global media company just spent $200M on our fucking league.  That is massive financial stability for the league, and the kind of investment that guarantees mediaPRO will do their best to get eyeballs watching our league.  Some may be frustrated about the lack of detail re actual broadcasts but man, this is massive.  Like game changing.  Literally.

Pretty chuffed.

10 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Remember when we were arguing about whether the salary cap was over or under $1m per year?  $2.9m per year might cover some of these teams' annual entire expenses.

Unfortunately, Kevin Sen's assumptions are invalid:

1. $200m is the expected total INVESTMENT by MediaPro, not what they are paying for the broadcast rights.

2. That revenue will be divvied up between CPL, VCup, MNT, and WNT.

3. There are likely to be more than 7 teams in the future.

4. USD not = CAD.

The best estimate of revenue we have is Ted's $150m. If we arbitrarily say CPL gets 60%, that is about $9m per year, or, once you factor in the cost of running the league, likely around $1m per team in year one.

Edited by dsqpr

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I won't pretend I understand all the nuance, or that I have any idea how I am going to actually watch a CPL game in 2 months.

But a global media company just spent $200M on our fucking league.  That is massive financial stability for the league, and the kind of investment that guarantees mediaPRO will do their best to get eyeballs watching our league.  Some may be frustrated about the lack of detail re actual broadcasts but man, this is massive.  Like game changing.  Literally. 

Pretty chuffed.

Indeed my friend, this is a massive win for the league.

I expect MEDIAPRO to push CPL very hard in markets where soccer season are over and trying to reach those in soccer withdrawal. This opens the door for them to shop around and knock on all the doors.

• Hey, CBC...how about that soccer night in Canada produced by us? Not interested? How about we sell you some of our documentaries on Canadian Soccer which will help expand the league's visibility coast to coast?
  • Hey TSN! How about a CPL game instead of darts or poker?

Endless possibilities but I really expect DAZN to buy lots of games (if not all)

A technicality to understand:

CPL just outsources that part of the business to MEDIAPRO. Meaning that they invest in CPL+CSA $200M for 10 years, but they will work their ass off to sell as much CPL content as possible so they make $300M or $400M or even more. Yes, whatever profit they make, $200M is all we'll see until 2029. However, could CPL and CSB got more on their own? Doubtful to extremely unlikely.

This explains the 10 years. We had not much bargaining power in reality except the bundling of properties, so 10 years it is. However, for MEDIAPRO to make this investment in our league means that when they were showed the league's business plan, they bought in. That's another massive vote of confidence.

It's really a win-win.

Make no mistake about it, I'm serious when I say the quality on the pitch will go up much faster. You can't sell the product if the level of play is atrocious. Teams will have to invest more so that down the road they stand to make even more money on the next contract. Not saying it will be open bar on top Internationals, but we might see a consistent influx of D2 Euro talent much sooner than expected and teams might have the mean to spend on some transfer fees for players

Yeah, I get it, we don't know on which channel we'll be watching the inaugural game yet, but, this was the best deal available to them in my opinion.

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Even $1m per club probably supports a cap of $2m when you consider the other revenue sources. I suspect shirt sponsor revenue, for example, goes way up because of this.

Agreed. But looking at the players being signed, the year one cap is surely well south of $1m. Which is fine.