CPL TV Contract

9 minutes ago, zen said:

I think they should've taken out national TV and newspaper ads. It might be expensive but there is no better way to get attention from casual fans

they do a pretty good job getting covered by national press (sportsnet, the globe, tsn, global) that i don't think that's needed at this stage. once they have tv and sched out there, maybe but right now i can't see that working.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

You mentioned Sarnia as a suburb of Toronto, but it's about a 3 hour drive away. It's a border town that is closer to Windsor than Toronto.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

This.

Yeah, the gif was kinda vague.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My bad.

Like I've said before, I really do not get southern Ontario. :P

43 minutes ago, matty said:

they do a pretty good job getting covered by national press (sportsnet, the globe, tsn, global) that i don't think that's needed at this stage. once they have tv and sched out there, maybe but right now i can't see that working.

Yeah.  Don't get too into the public marketing until you've got something a little more finished to offer.  One chance to make that 1st impression sort of thing.

But it's getting on.  The league is fighting a lot of competition for people's discretionary dollars.  

3 hours ago, zen said:

I think they should've taken out national TV and newspaper ads. It might be expensive but there is no better way to get attention from casual fans

Why? What would the ads say? National ad buys are expensive. They have to have a useful purpose beyond simply, "we exist".

Maybe when  they have a national TV deal they can advertise the games, but that would be pointless now.

12 hours ago, 1996 said:

The point your missing my friend is you want the cream of the crop of Canada’s soccer media people like K.J. who is the best of the best when it comes to soccer media personalities in this country to be able to be at this game, you want a guy like Caldwell to be there too, Molinaro aswell recognizable people to be there and cover this historic first game. With all due respect to your TSN friend Gaz Munro it’s great he will be covering it for TSN but K.J he ain’t I’m afraid to say. So you also assume because they cover the EPL and MLS that the CPL is not also a thing for guys like K.J. and a guy like Caldwell? It’s soccer and it’s Canadian soccer and it definitely is a thing for these guys and they would have loved to be in a situation to have been able to cover both games the TFC game and the inaugural CPL Hamilton  vs York 9 game. Like myself I would imagine they are soccer fans and if it’s soccer it’s a thing be it MLS , CPL or an U12 game between two youth teams. If it has to do with soccer it’s a thing!

If I'm honest, I don't really know how interested KJ and Caldwell are in the CPL, I base my opinion on TFC broadcasts, these 2 are TFC guys and of course will be covering the Portland match and be unavailable for the CPL inaugural match, I don't think the league is going to work their schedule around media guys no matter who they represent! There is a whole different vibe to this league compared to MLS, obviously it's a chance for local players to play at a decent level, it's also a chance for homegrown coaches, executives and officials to ply their trades, the same goes for local media, Gaz Monroe has been involved in grass roots local soccer much longer than KJ or Caldwell have been in the country! Come on down to a Forge match when it doesn't conflict with TFC, I'll introduce you to him!

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, Watchmen said:

Kristian Jack and Steven Caldwell complained about it on their podcast, stating that unfortunately they (and a number of other reporters) would be unable to attend the CPL game as they'd already be committed to covering the TFC game.  Fans complaining is one thing, but if it's impacting soccer reporters that you would want at the first game, it's another.

I felt they took some shots at the CPL despite really wanting it to succeed...'we're not naysayers'. 

SC said he wished they played their inaugural game away from the GTA like in Halifax in their stadium in front of '3 or 4 thousand fans'.   He earlier said about Hamilton they won't get anywhere near 24K and will need camera angles that don't make it look empty.  (implying the emptiness would be at that opening game).  

SC said he was shocked that (CPL) wouldn't have their own spot like Thursday night or Sunday.  (Thursday night?  Now on that night even I'd say it would look like an empty stadium.  I drove to an L1O playoff game in Oakville (only 2/3s of the way to Hamilton) and it took me two hours to make an early weeknight game from a northern suburb in Toronto fighting rush hour traffic.  

All this mentioned between 29 to 35 minute mark of their 90+ minute podcast.  They did call for our feedback 'especially from fans not from our listening area'.     

I really like KJ but i find him to very political and focused on futhering his career. He knows what side his bread is buttered. In Van most consider him to be a TFC cheerleader and was Robbo's mouthpiece

In other words i dont think he fully speaks his mind. I believe he considers whats his best interest when shapes a conversation or shares an opinion

Edited by SpursFlu

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lets say, hypothetically, I am complete shit at Twitter.  What does the linked tweet imply?  All I see is someone tagging Vic R in a tweet - am I missing something?

By York 9 taging Vic in a tweet about commentary, they are essentially linking him with the job of CPL commentator and therefore TSN as they imploy him. That or most people are reading too much into it. 

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

By York 9 taging Vic in a tweet about commentary, they are essentially linking him with the job of CPL commentator and therefore TSN as they imploy him. That or most people are reading too much into it. 

Ya, that's why I posted it, but I also posted in tongue in cheek since it's probably the latter