Stephen Eustaquio

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Popped up in my feed. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder what the connection is there because they all came up through different leagues and national teams. 

He's regularly trained with Dalot in the offseasons.  I believe they're good friends from back in Eustaquio's time with the Portugal U21 program.

Edited by Corazon

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Oh, there you go. I thought Dalot was French for some reason. He also played for Porto, albeit a few years before Steph 

I know I've commented on this in the past but it's quite remarkable the talent he was playing with on that U21 team.  Hard to believe they missed qualification to the U21 Euros that tournament with the squad they had.

Some of the players on that team included Diogo Jota (Liverpool), Ruben Dias (Man City), Diogo Dalot (Man U, Rafael Leao (Milan), Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid), Diogo Leite (Union Berlin), Jota (Celtic/Al Ittihad), Ricardo Horta (Braga), Gedson Fernandes (Besiktas).  Interesting enough, he was playing for Chaves and possibly even Leixos at the time and many of the players on that team were highly rated at top clubs and not most the ones not listed above are now playing at a far inferior level to Eustaquio's whose rise has been incredibly over the past 5 years.

Edited by Corazon

16 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

Everyone that I recognize in that photo has Portuguese connections, except for Maguire.

Maguire just was at a place called the Campus in the Algarve, Portugal.  Declan Rice is down there training on his own as well. A lot of English trainers use it as did West Ham between the end of the season and the Conference League final. 

Photo probably taken there or close I would guess. 

On 7/11/2023 at 4:06 PM, canuckgbp said:

Popped up in my feed. 

Is nobody else a little disappointed/pissed to see this after Eustaquio’s bail on the gold cup? I mean, this guy talked a big game about winning trophies then dropped out of the gold cup squad a day before and was training while we were preparing for a QF.

An explanation on these decisions might help but with that’s transpired I can’t help but feel a bit perturbed. Especially watching this USA Panama game and knowing we had an incredible shot to win this tournament if more guys showed.

16 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Is nobody else a little disappointed/pissed to see this after Eustaquio’s bail on the gold cup? I mean, this guy talked a big game about winning trophies then dropped out of the gold cup squad a day before and was training while we were preparing for a QF.

An explanation on these decisions might help but with that’s transpired I can’t help but feel a bit perturbed. Especially watching this USA Panama game and knowing we had an incredible shot to win this tournament if more guys showed.

I am sure the coaching staff knew ahead of time that this was a big possibility. There is no way that Herdman found out the day before the first game. We were all surprised when he was on the roster. The Gold Cup is a great experience for the young talent. Does nothing for Eustaquio to play against the USA "C" team

30 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I am sure the coaching staff knew ahead of time that this was a big possibility. There is no way that Herdman found out the day before the first game. We were all surprised when he was on the roster. The Gold Cup is a great experience for the young talent. Does nothing for Eustaquio to play against the USA "C" team

Right so why was he named to begin with? He dropped out 7 days after he was named.

Has Herdman lost the brotherhood? Personally, if I were Eustaquio I would have been offended by his comments in which he clearly didn’t consider Eustaquio to be playing at a “tier 1 level”. Meanwhile he plays at a club that is bigger than Valladolid or Leeds certainly. Hoping Herdman stops with that nonsense. Certainly didn’t fire up our boys June 18.

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Right so why was he named to begin with? He dropped out 7 days after he was named.

Has Herdman lost the brotherhood? Personally, if I were Eustaquio I would have been offended by his comments in which he clearly didn’t consider Eustaquio to be playing at a “tier 1 level”. Meanwhile he plays at a club that is bigger than Valladolid or Leeds certainly. Hoping Herdman stops with that nonsense. Certainly didn’t fire up our boys June 18.

When did Herdman say this? I was always under the impression tier 1 level also includes the top Portuguese and Dutch teams at the very least.

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

When did Herdman say this? I was always under the impression tier 1 level also includes the top Portuguese and Dutch teams at the very least.

You’d think so but before the USA nations league game he said we only have 3 tier 1 players - referring to David, Larin and Davies. Making excuses before it began. 

It’s absolutely ridiculous for a national manager to say such things. Maybe that’s why he didn’t call Ugbo? By his definition he was playing at a higher level than Eustaquio. 

Maybe playing the underdog is all he knows? There was/is no remarkable difference between talent our national teams (USA v Canada) to make such comments. 11 players are on the pitch and at any given time we have the two best and some of the best in the region in other positions. This is like Germany saying how much more talent England has. Our players have earned the right to be treated with more respect IMO.

Edited by CanadaFan123

On 7/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Not bothered at all. This training with some other pros was likely a causal kick around, I am guessing. Players are still in vacation/recovery mode and pre-seasons have not started. Cannot compare this with flying across the United States to play 4 games international games, which could have been 6.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I’ve seen several American fans call this their “D” team on twitter.  And yes, they’re being serious.

Man they exaggerate so much. It's all a façade to make their pool seem deeper than it is. In 2021 it was a "C" team that won the GC. Then ahead of this tourney they claimed this team was superior to that winning team. Now they got knocked out and it's a D team? ...haha okaaaay .....we believe you 😉 

This B/C/D team stuff is really so subjective it's not worth talking about but do have to say one thing....when your top keeper is playing, I don't think you can call it "D" anymore. Mihilovich, Zendejas, Sonora and Robinson were with the Nations League team, so "B" players at worst. That right there makes the D claims so farcical.