Ryan Telfer

Dub Narcotic

Ryan Telfer

Toronto FC II sign Ryan Telfer

March 24, 20179:53AM EDT

Toronto FC II announced Friday that the club has signed forward Ryan Telfer to a USL contract.

“Ryan has been training with us since the beginning of training camp and has fit in well within the group,” said Toronto FC II Head Coach Jason Bent. “He is a player that has good pace and can add a new dimension to the team’s attack. I would also like to thank Carmine Isacco and York University for their role in helping to develop Ryan.”

Telfer, 23, spent the past two seasons at York University. During the 2016 season, he appeared in 14 matches registering five goals and two assists for the Lions. He earned OUA West second-team all-star honours and helped York capture the OUA silver medal. During the 2015 season, he appeared in four matches registering one goal and helped the lions capture both the OUA and CIS championship. Prior to joining York University, Telfer played his youth soccer with the Erin Mills Eagles.  

TRANSACTION: Toronto FC II signed forward Ryan Telfer

RYAN TELFER 
Position: Forward

Height: 5’11

Weight: 180

Birthdate: March 4, 1994

Birthplace: Toronto, ON

Hometown: Mississauga, ON

Nationality: Canadian

Last Club: York University

Pronunciation: “TEL-FUR”

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

At 24 Telfer at the age he needed to sign or move on.  Getting a bit old to take up an Academy spot much longer.

He isnt taking up an academy spot.  He is on the USL TFC2.  A bunch of the V's on here are big proponents of having a mix of older more mature guys on the the CDN USL teams (when there were multiple teams) so the 17-19 year olds dont get swamped playing american independent teams with rosters of old pros. I think once he got out of CIS he was lucky to land on TFC2 and get a lot of minutes.  He usually looks pretty good, but its still a surprise signing.  If they were signing a striker I would have brought up Hundal.   But I'm not a coach or a gm, just a fan.  

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He isnt taking up an academy spot.  He is on the USL TFC2.  A bunch of the V's on here are big proponents of having a mix of older more mature guys on the the CDN USL teams (when there were multiple teams) so the 17-19 year olds dont get swamped playing american independent teams with rosters of old pros. I think once he got out of CIS he was lucky to land on TFC2 and get a lot of minutes.  He usually looks pretty good, but its still a surprise signing.  If they were signing a striker I would have brought up Hundal.   But I'm not a coach or a gm, just a fan.  

Teller has played more often at left wing for TFC 2 and I think thses signings are also also about where they need more depth on the first team. Edwards is gone so there is no other option for 3rd choice left winger except Auro but he is normally on the right and reportedly is not in Colorado this weekend anyway.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Agreed, you need to have older players with varied experience and physical maturity. Failing to do so turns your into the Montreal folded USL venture. 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If they were signing a striker I would have brought up Hundal.   But I'm not a coach or a gm, just a fan.  

I agree with this completely . Great prospect !!

Wasn’t upset they signed Akinola but I was upset they re signed Spencer. Should of gave the contract to Hundal. Hopefully next season 

Really hoping they start to give Hundal more minutes at TFCII as season progresses.  It would be frustrating to see him stuck behind Spencer all year after a decent goal-scoring record last year.

Watching TFCII early this season, Telfer was one of those guys I thought would be perfect for CanPl.  Not quite ready for MLS but able to play at that level and still young enough he has plenty of room to grow and improve.  I'd still love to see Telfer, Hamilton, and Cavaluzzo at Founders FC (lol) next year, unless Jordan starts to see significantly more minutes this season!  Telfer  is also a good sign that CIS has some very talented players who just need an opportunity and can be a legitimate source of talent for CanPl down the road.  There have been plenty of other examples like Shamit Shome and John Smits, and also players like Michael Cox who spent a season of university ball while in between clubs.  CanPl can do a better job of finding and developing those players than USL, NASL, or MLS ever could.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Really hoping they start to give Hundal more minutes at TFCII as season progresses.  It would be frustrating to see him stuck behind Spencer all year after a decent goal-scoring record last year.

Watching TFCII early this season, Telfer was one of those guys I thought would be perfect for CanPl.  Not quite ready for MLS but able to play at that level and still young enough he has plenty of room to grow and improve.  I'd still love to see Telfer, Hamilton, and Cavaluzzo at Founders FC (lol) next year, unless Jordan starts to see significantly more minutes this season!  Telfer  is also a good sign that CIS has some very talented players who just need an opportunity and can be a legitimate source of talent for CanPl down the road.  There have been plenty of other examples like Shamit Shome and John Smits, and also players like Michael Cox who spent a season of university ball while in between clubs.  CanPl can do a better job of finding and developing those players than USL, NASL, or MLS ever could.

Agreed. Also should have CPL draft drafting the top first year CIS/usport players or 19 years olds ?! Waiting till senior year like the mls is too late 

1 hour ago, yothat said:

Agreed. Also should have CPL draft drafting the top first year CIS/usport players or 19 years olds ?! Waiting till senior year like the mls is too late 

Don't kid yourself some good players also at the community college level in Canada,  right here in Ontario Humber College for example  who win national championships  for fun lol are usually loaded with talent and would probably aslo win national championships at the university level if they were able to play their too.

Kinda reminds me of Babouli. Signing relatively old to the USL team, then steamrolling to the first team. Not that they are similar players though, Babouli was completely unpredictable and Telfer is more of an athlete. Hope he pans out better than Mo did...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mtroads said:

Larson is saying that Vanney really liked him on the offensive side and that given the right circumstances he could play on Wednesday.

Hmm, I wonder if he legit means that, or if it would be something he might do if the game is out of reach. Somehow if we need a goal late in the game I don't think Vanney will actually bring Telfer on.

He didnt bring on Hamilton or Ricketts so I doubt he would bring Telfer on.  And wow, thanks for pointing out Telfer is an offensive player, hard for casual fan as you keep playing him at LB.  I guess the silver lining of these last few games is that Vanney was forced to play some kids and maybe Telfer has replaced Spencer as Vanney's secret favorite.  At least Telfer has some skill and athleticism. Vanney can use him like Lovitz previously as a swiss army knife all over the park.

31 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Funny thing about Vanney's comments was that I thought I saw Vanney screaming at Telfer in rage in the 2nd half against Houston for not doing his share of the team-pressing. You rarely see Vanney having a go at a player during a game like that. Maybe it was just a bit of tough love. :)

Maybe that's why Vanney made the compliments about him, he felt a little bad about blaming the lad?