Ryan Telfer

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Except that one time where he skillfully cut inside on Johnson, slipped through the secondary help, and drew a free kick at the top of the box.

If anything, I was impressed to see him mix it up and cut inside, since he was having so much joy beating Johnson in the outside. I didn't know he had that in his game. It was encouraging to see.

As for his crosses, I would say they were mixed. Room for improvement yes, but slightly higher grades than you'd give him by the sounds of it.

He did that twice, FWIW.

He played well but I think we need to temper the enthusiasm.  Very happy for the young man and I hope it all works out for him for both club and country, not a couple of MLS games will not dethrone Morrow or Morgan from their spots. May be on the NT radar or could end up in the CPL .  Here’s hoping he continues to work hard and achieves for TFC and Canada ?? 

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I was of the feeling that I wanted to see our best team come September, Hoilett, Davies, Cavallini..  ...now i don't want to.

I want to see a best IX of uncapped players. 

Your wish is my command

----------------Viscosi---------------------

Dover---kapor---Boskovic/Trafford----Stamopoulos

Ricci------Laryea-----Daniels

Telfer-----------Reid-------------Kacher 

I tried to use players who haven't played for canada at any level.

6 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Your wish is my command

Trafford has been capped

12 hours ago, badname22 said:

Your wish is my command

If we're being real... This is how I would do things. Gets some key players cap tied, and also still gets a strong team on the field. 

------------------Vaikla-------------------

Cordova---James---Geffrard----Morgan

------Kaye----- 

Arfied----------Osorio

Millar-----------Larin-------------Telfer 

Ideally sub in Gutierrez for Morgan if he would accept a call, Verhoeven for a midfielder and Lankov for a midfielder. Those subs can only be made if we are winning. Which, against US Virgin Islands, we should be up a few goals by halftime, even with the less experienced players up front, I think our midfield is strong and will boss the game. Larin should put some goals away and Millar and Telfer both play at higher levels than any of the USVI players. If we are not up by 2 goals at the half, sub in Hoilett and Davies, USVI will not be able to contain them.

I think Geffrard and Telfer would probably accept the call up, Geffrard might end up being crucial depth at CB for us if he develops well, but he might be set on Haiti though.

Vaikla is questionable if he would accept or not. You could sell him on being the potential #1 when Borjan is gone and the 2026 World Cup run he is likely to be the #1. He solves a major problem for us, but seems pretty set on Estonia.

Cordova and Verhoeven are in our system, but still need to be cap tied. No reason to believe they wouldn't accept the call.

Gutierrez and Lankov are the guys eligible for nations that are actually better than us. I think Lankov is unlikely but worth the shot to call him up. Gutierrez might be more realistic, his brother plays for us, he's fallen off Chile's radar and plays on the same team as Cordova.  

EDIT: To try to avoid taking this thread any more off topic, I'm going to post this in a more appropriate thread. 

Edited by BradMack

Made the MLS team of the week, including getting the top Audi Index performance rating:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/21/team-week-presented-audi-red-bulls-shine-week-12

Also this article by Matt Doyle contains an interesting story on how Telfer was discovered (including what might inadvertently be the first mention of the CPL in an official MLS website article):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/20/armchair-analyst-crew-sc-solve-revs-timbers-impress-and-more-week-12

He's also up for goal of the week (let's hope this isn't just 15 minutes of fame with this week!)

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

All good minutes. Still a long way from proving himself consistently but quiet confidence on this one. 

Good minutes when he had the ball or in other offensive positions.  However, very sketchy when defending space as a left back, resulting in the second half tactical shift of VDW going to LB and Auro shifted to RB

On 5/22/2018 at 6:08 PM, YorkRegionFan said:

Excellent article by Larson. The CPL, if done properly, should really promote the Canadian players who are young and promising. MLS club in Canada do tend to fill out their rosters with fringe foreigners who train regularly but play rarely or never. 

48 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Good minutes when he had the ball or in other offensive positions.  However, very sketchy when defending space as a left back, resulting in the second half tactical shift of VDW going to LB and Auro shifted to RB

To be fair Telfer is a winger  so he is playing out of position. As a comparison Auro is also weak defending in his own 18 yrd box but no argument re his skill going forward

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

To be fair Telfer is a winger  so he is playing out of position. As a comparison Auro is also weak defending in his own 18 yrd box but no argument re his skill going forward

Auro is great 1v1 defender. He is weak defending his box on crosses because of his size. Telfer has no idea what to do defensively, at all.

I like the story but he's a weird player. Still so remarkably raw. He can still improve by playing at a higher level consistently, but at this moment he's far down the pecking order for the national team.

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Auro is great 1v1 defender. He is weak defending his box on crosses because of his size. Telfer has no idea what to do defensively, at all.

I like the story but he's a weird player. Still so remarkably raw. He can still improve by playing at a higher level consistently, but at this moment he's far down the pecking order for the national team.

He’s someone Herdman can throw on with 10 minutes left to try and spark some offense. But I think in a couple years he might develop into a starter for the national team. Winger is a difficult position to break into for the Nats right now though. 

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He’s someone Herdman can throw on with 10 minutes left to try and spark some offense. But I think in a couple years he might develop into a starter for the national team. Winger is a difficult position to break into for the Nats right now though. 

I agree that a pure offensive sub at the end is his optimal role. I see what Vanney was saying about doing that, he has a unique skill set. I don't know how else to describe it other than weird. He's a like a better, left footed, Ricketts (full disclosure: I never rated Ricketts, think he's awful, and am shocked he has had the little bit of career success he's had).

And I agree with the last sentence. That's why I said he's down the pecking order; in the past he probably would have been right in the mix.

He is not a defender, no matter where Vanney put him.  A guy that can attack down the wing, beat his man 1v1 and get in decent crosses or drive into the box is something we have been lacking for a long time (Josh Simpson??). He actually does more of it in MLS, than he did in USL. 

His progress is a very good advertisement for university soccer and TFC2.  The main purpose of TFC2 should be to bring guys on to the big club (Daniels/Telfer), or expose failures that need to be dumped (Spencer). We used to have arguments that the academies were not producing enough talent.  With Telfer starring, Fraser and Dunn being solid, maybe we are finally seeing the flood gates opening.   VWC have exciting prospects VerHoevan, Coyln, Ruby, the Impact have some defenders (Kinumbe) that impressed in that Adidas tournie.  And next year there should be even more playing time for guys that just cant crack MLS but would benefit from getting a lot of CPL starts.  

30 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He is not a defender, no matter where Vanney put him.  A guy that can attack down the wing, beat his man 1v1 and get in decent crosses or drive into the box is something we have been lacking for a long time (Josh Simpson??). He actually does more of it in MLS, than he did in USL. 

It's not unusual to see a guy have an early "bump" factor when the opposition doesn't have a scouting report on him and then the player makes an impression with those particular skills.  Most recently I can remember Endoh's very early appearances where he impressed in a not dissimilar fashion.  One thing last night that gave him the extra space needed to take on defenders in more advantageous situations was Bradley's pinpoint long balls to him.  It's a little different when you are receiving service when the opposition is much closer to you all the time.  Having said that, I liked his direct play and willingness to cut inland as well as take it to the line.  That was also a really good low crack that just missed the far post.  I really hope he keeps it going.

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

How do you think he measures up with Raheem Edwards/Petrasso? I'd like to see Levis given a chance further forward where he is natural too. 

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

His progress is a very good advertisement for university soccer and TFC2.  The main purpose of TFC2 should be to bring guys on to the big club (Daniels/Telfer), or expose failures that need to be dumped (Spencer). We used to have arguments that the academies were not producing enough talent.  With Telfer starring, Fraser and Dunn being solid, maybe we are finally seeing the flood gates opening.   VWC have exciting prospects VerHoevan, Coyln, Ruby, the Impact have some defenders (Kinumbe) that impressed in that Adidas tournie.  And next year there should be even more playing time for guys that just cant crack MLS but would benefit from getting a lot of CPL starts.  

Junior Hoilett?  For as much as we love Simpson around here he never actually did anything in official matches.

Edited by Keegan

30 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Junior Hoilett?  For as much as we love Simpson around here he never actually did anything in official matches.

I thought Simpson was terrific at the Gold Cup in 2009, continuing facing double team defences and still creating chances.  After that, the injuries started happening and he didn't feature in the next WCQ nor subsequent Gold Cups.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think it’s a bit premature to suggest that the academies have turned a corner. I can’t really speak to Vancouver or Montreal, but I think you are jumping the gun on the TFC guys you mentioned. Telfer starring? It was one game. If you are a TFC fan do you remember Javier Martina scoring a brace, with one of them probably a better goal than Telfer’s, in one of his first few games? He didn’t exactly pan out to be a legend. Fraser solid? Again, one or two games maybe. Dunn solid? Didn’t he only play the Houston game where we were torched 5-0? I don’t remember exactly, but I think he was largely to blame for 1 goal for sure, and possibly 2 or 3.

Its upsetting to me that TFC have been losing games like crazy while they are finally giving Canadians a good chunk of playing time. It will make it hard for us to scream about putting in Hamilton or Chapman or whoever later on in the season if/when the team is more healthy.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Dude, none of the guys you named are "solid".