Ryan Telfer

Dub Narcotic

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He does, but we're not about to lose Borges to T&T.

Also, the time to cap Telfer was last year when he was a pleasant surprise in MLS. 

So be it. He has to grind to get to this point. He deserves the best chance to advance his career, and that I believe that would be with T&T. He's not going to find much minutes with Canada.

1 minute ago, PopePouri said:

So be it. He has to grind to get to this point. He deserves the best chance to advance his career, and that I believe that would be with T&T. He's not going to find much minutes with Canada.

Unfortunately I believe you are right, which is a shame because I think he has some qualities we could use. 

Good luck to him though, whatever he decides.

I’d rather introduce the 20 year to the program then the 25 year old who has Hoilett, Arfield, David, Millar, Davies, and Tabla ahead of him and all capable of playing on the wing. Ones a young guy getting playing time in a more competitive environment and still has lots of room to grow, and one was signed as a rough diamond and hasn’t consistently shown he belongs.

I think Tabla has to start showing something with Montreal before I would call him to senior team.  Or maybe go to u-23 and do something there.  Skip this next camp and get some game time.  Same with Shaffleboug, stay playing, start getting some assists etc.  I really like Telfer, but at his age etc...its tough to call him.  Hell we might not even call Tesho who is in the middle of his best year ever.  This is the brave new world we are in.  I dont blame Telfer is he accepts a call for T+T, at his age.  We should have made a place for him last year, but we had to play "our best 11" even if that meant guys out of position to beat up on minnows.  

I had the chance to ask Telfer about the Trinidad rumours after the York9 game and he mentioned that he's aware of the interest in him, and wants to play internationally. He also said he expects to make his decision soon. Jimmy Brennan also stepped in and said they've had conversations about this and York9 will support whatever he chooses.

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I had the chance to ask Telfer about the Trinidad rumours after the York9 game and he mentioned that he's aware of the interest in him, and wants to play internationally. He also said he expects to make his decision soon. Jimmy Brennan also stepped in and said they've had conversations about this and York9 will support whatever he chooses.

Sounds like hes going to commit to trinidad if he wants to play internationally. Canada cant guarantee him regular call ups. 

Telfer is an odd one for Canada. A great example of how far our talent pool has deepened. 

At 25 he could certainly still push on further talent wise. With that in mind I would hate to lose him. 

On the other side of the coin we have so many options for where he plays and more coming through. 

I'd hate to see him go but also wouldnt blame him, much like welshman and Robert's. 

You hate to lose a guy like Telfer but he’s 25 and way down the list now and in the future.  Even in the CPL I’d rather take Borges, Campbell and Petrasso over him among others, not to mention Tesho or Hamilton.

As said above this is a brave new world.  Just having a MLS contract isn’t enough to  warrant a call up.  You have to be in form to make this team.  

Lets just turn our minds to that fateful day in 2012 that shall not be named.

Simpson injured.  Occean suspended.  DeRosario injured.  Shit happened x 3.  Our first choice front 3 were out.

If the same shit happened again this cycle, would Telfer be called up?  Would he be called upon to play a crucial role in a deciding game?

Its possible.  In a couple years, he could easily be a goal scoring winger in MLS.  Ballou, Millar could be below him. Borges may not develop.  Akindele's form may drop, and with a 30+ Hoilett, who knows. 

We are as deep as we have ever been right now, but we still cannot afford to let Telfer go so easily.  I say at least offer him a cap.  If he accepts, so be it. We can afford a roster spot for him against Cuba.

A roster spot does no good.  Half the guys on here want to play kaye and Davies out of position just to have our best 11 against minnows.  We are lucky we can get Akindele, Johnson, Edwards, Tabla, Adeguke, Cordova, Wotherspoon etc a game here and there.  Telfer isnt dumb. He knows where he sits on talent alone right now...on the deep fringes.  He can see younger guys than him (Borges, Campell etc) in the CPL who are probably playing as good if not better than he is.  Even if he gets a camp, we prob need to get other guys into a game before him, and the next call might not come again for a long time.  

We might want to cap him just in case (a la Bunbury/USA), but he might be thinking about going to every camp and playing regularly for T+T for the next 5-6 years.  Selfishly I'd like him to stay, but spot or no spot it will prob be better for him to jump ship.    

10 hours ago, king1010 said:

How was Welshman treated? I'm assuming same scenario as him?

I assume it would be the same as Welshman , but I'm not whether they treat him as Canadian or foreigner for the 6 Canuck starters. My guess based on Halifax's team which rarely seems to have 6 bona fide Canucks is that he will still count as a Canadian.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, Gian-Luca said:

If I have this correct, he would still count as Canadian for CPL roster quotas but not V Cup matches - or am I wrong about the former?

Correct. As a Canadian citizen he would count as domestic in CPL, but Vs Cup uses FIFA nationalities so he'd have to be eligible for Canada to be considered Canadian.

The annoying thing is that we could have capped him last year and his call would have been based on merit at that time. He was deserving in the opinion of myself and others.

Now we may lose him to Trinidad, which is probably the team where Telfer can have a longer international career, but it is a direct rival. 

Guyana is not really in the same class, so Welshman and Roberts joining them shouldn't come back to bite us.

On the other hand, Telfer makes the T&T squad more dangerous. Say what you want about Telfer's consistency, he is capable of popping up with a moment of brilliance. Such moments can define world cup qualifying campaigns.

And it's not just about keeping him out of the hands of T&T - I genuinely believe we could use him. He may never earn 30, 40 or 50 caps for Canada, but should we need to plug a gap, he's there waiting in the wings. His athleticism is evident and could be useful and perhaps it is under appreciated. He's a left-footed player too, which are harder to come by. And he's got a good left foot, the guy can play. He is not just an athlete.

Anyways, should he not wish to wait, that is totally cool. It's his career. We just shouldn't brush it off in my opinion. It should be considered a missed opportunity. Not the end of the world, mind you, but a missed opportunity nonetheless.

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The annoying thing is that we could have capped him last year and his call would have been based on merit at that time. He was deserving in the opinion of myself and others.

Now we may lose him to Trinidad, which is probably the team where Telfer can have a longer international career, but it is a direct rival. 

Guyana is not really in the same class, so Welshman and Roberts joining them shouldn't come back to bite us.

On the other hand, Telfer makes the T&T squad more dangerous. Say what you want about Telfer's consistency, he is capable of popping up with a moment of brilliance. Such moments can define world cup qualifying campaigns.

And it's not just about keeping him out of the hands of T&T - I genuinely believe we could use him. He may never earn 30, 40 or 50 caps for Canada, but should we need to plug a gap, he's there waiting in the wings. His athleticism is evident and could be useful and perhaps it is under appreciated. He's a left-footed player too, which are harder to come by. And he's got a good left foot, the guy can play. He is not just an athlete.

Anyways, should he not wish to wait, that is totally cool. It's his career. We just shouldn't brush it off in my opinion. It should be considered a missed opportunity. Not the end of the world, mind you, but a missed opportunity nonetheless.

I think with the two games against Cuba we should look to be calling some CPL players regardless. I think it would be silly to ignore