Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, red card said:

Not every player who scores a wonder goal should get capped.

Not every player who could suit for another country needs to be Canada capped.

At best Tefler is on a Canada C team.

This ain't yours 2010 Canada's team anymore. Time to upgrade your standards.

Yeah, at wing who does he displace? Even if Herdman puts Davies at LB, he still has Hoilett and Millar in front of him. The only wingers in the CPL I'd like to see on the NT are Borges and maybe Pasquotti. If he get's citizenship I'd take Blasco over Telfer too.

Edited by VinceA

He doesnt displace anyone yet.  But we still need to keep a guy like him in the pool.  Who knows when we'll have a guy injured or a couple guys not released from the bigger european squads.  Thats why a camp poutine/friendlies is so important, give B and C guys a shot, work more players into the system and you never know when one of them will have to fill in at a GC and save/sink your ass, ie Godinho.  

Posted (edited)

A nice little write-up from James Grossi's article on the CPL app: 

But then another moment of inattention struck when Telfer was allowed to sprint up the right-flank, latching onto a long ball from Manny Aparicio before picking out the far corner of the Edmonton goal.

“Maybe I’ve not shown enough video on Telfer,” lamented Paulus. “But one-vs-one and you want to get in a footrace with him? It’s impossible. There is not a defender in this league that is going to stay with him, at least not a centre-back. And he’s done us on a counterattack.

Video including Telfer's goal:

https://canpl.ca/video/recap-resilient-york9-snaps-fc-edmontons-win-streak

Edited by nolando

On 7/13/2019 at 6:32 PM, Bison44 said:

He doesnt displace anyone yet.  But we still need to keep a guy like him in the pool.  Who knows when we'll have a guy injured or a couple guys not released from the bigger european squads.  Thats why a camp poutine/friendlies is so important, give B and C guys a shot, work more players into the system and you never know when one of them will have to fill in at a GC and save/sink your ass, ie Godinho.  

Yeah, get him on board I say.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

I wouldn't blame him. It's not like he's holding off the boat or anything, but a call to the MNT is soo far away right now. 5 years ago he would have been on 3-4 caps already. 

Wait, we played games five years ago?!

Yeah honestly I’d cap tie him against Cuba, he’s looked really good.  I could easily see him going to TFC next year and being a starter and then we’re all going to be upset he wasn’t tied. 

JH can call him as one of his winger/wingbacks for the left and push Davies up higher. 

As much as I am happy our player pool is getting deeper, this gives us problems.  WE DONT PLAY ENOUGH GAMES.  If we had a camp poutine last winter or a frendly this summer, maybe you could keep fringe guys involved and make them feel part of the team.

Realisitically the Cuba games are the only ones to experiment, but we still need to win them.  Telfer is below Shafflebourg at TFC and he hasnt been called yet.  Akindele cant get a call, Cordova doesnt get a call at RB out thinnest position.  What wingers do you call and who do you leave off??  Leave Millar in Scotland..Hoiltet in wales??  I hope Herdman is thinking long and hard about what will be best for the program.  Like Obinna says we'll be kicking ourselves if Telfer goes on to start for T+T.  But we might be at the point where guys like Welshmen, Q Roberts, Ranjatsingh, Telfer are just not good enough to crack the senior team, and w cant complain if they go elsewhere.  

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

As much as I am happy our player pool is getting deeper, this gives us problems.  WE DONT PLAY ENOUGH GAMES.  If we had a camp poutine last winter or a frendly this summer, maybe you could keep fringe guys involved and make them feel part of the team.

Realisitically the Cuba games are the only ones to experiment, but we still need to win them.  Telfer is below Shafflebourg at TFC and he hasnt been called yet.  Akindele cant get a call, Cordova doesnt get a call at RB out thinnest position.  What wingers do you call and who do you leave off??  Leave Millar in Scotland..Hoiltet in wales??  I hope Herdman is thinking long and hard about what will be best for the program.  Like Obinna says we'll be kicking ourselves if Telfer goes on to start for T+T.  But we might be at the point where guys like Welshmen, Q Roberts, Ranjatsingh, Telfer are just not good enough to crack the senior team, and w cant complain if they go elsewhere.  

I agree in general, but specifically on Telfer I would say he is a diamond in the rough. Just my personal opinion on the player.

There will always be guys, like Welshman for instance, who are nice players but are not a loss for us. I don't believe Telfer is in that category of player.

Even though he is a late bloomer I think he has a very high ceiling and if TFC are wise they will develop and utilize him instead of loaning him out.

As for Canada, it may be too late. I don't think he makes the team for Cuba anyways, but there was ample opportunity to call this player in the qualification round and even before that there was the New Zealand friendly.

I hope we are not soon having the same conversation about Elva...

I have no idea why Shaffelburg is starting for Toronto and Telfer is loaned to CPL. Should be the other way around. Telfer is on the same level as Hamilton, AHJ, Edwards, and Petrasso. We are only 2 injuries away from having to rely on players of this caliber. Of course we should cap him but he has strong ties to TnT so I wouldn't be upset if he went with them. He could help them immediately. 

20 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I have no idea why Shaffelburg is starting for Toronto and Telfer is loaned to CPL. Should be the other way around.

As raw as Shaffelburg is, he already puts in performances where he's threatening the entire time he's on the field. Contrast this to Telfer, who can drift in and out of games at the MLS level and doesn't have the same consistent ability to beat his man down the wing with pace or dribbling.

Shaffelburg's ceiling is also much higher, but I don't think that's influencing his time on the field right now. IMO Shaffelburg is already a better winger than Telfer, and he'll grow into a better overall player very soon.

That said, I think Telfer deserves a shot to play a little bit higher up the field with TFC, and maybe even a bit more centrally at times, given what he's shown at York 9. 

I'm not going to say with certainty that its going to happen but from the source I spoke to, apparently T&T has already reached out to him and its sounding like he plans on taking the call.  Reading into the conversation, it sounds like he was disappointed he had not been called to represent Canada.  As some discussed on here already, there was also questioning as to why hes not seen more time with TFC.

At this point it looks as though he is not doing enough to factor in with Canada. Unfortunately, I think that his time in CPL will have helped him grow, certainly in confidence.

I could see him being a regular for TFC (or some other MLS team) next year, but it also makes sense that given his age, he would not wait around for a Canada call that doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon.

Regardless, another win for CPL if another player in the league gets caps with their national team. Even more so getting his first cap after playing well in the league

23 hours ago, RS said:

As raw as Shaffelburg is, he already puts in performances where he's threatening the entire time he's on the field. Contrast this to Telfer, who can drift in and out of games at the MLS level and doesn't have the same consistent ability to beat his man down the wing with pace or dribbling.

Shaffelburg's ceiling is also much higher, but I don't think that's influencing his time on the field right now. IMO Shaffelburg is already a better winger than Telfer, and he'll grow into a better overall player very soon.

That said, I think Telfer deserves a shot to play a little bit higher up the field with TFC, and maybe even a bit more centrally at times, given what he's shown at York 9. 

I think it's harsh to say Telfer drifts out of games at MLS level, last year the team was a joke and Vanney remains a joke in and of himself. Is Shaff a better winger or is he just fast as F? Tough to say.  

Bottom line is I don't think we can trust any decisions TFC makes with respect to the local talent pool. Their track record speaks for itself, as you will no doubt agree.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I think it's harsh to say Telfer drifts out of games at MLS level, last year the team was a joke and Vanney remains a joke in and of himself. Is Shaff a better winger or is he just fast as F? Tough to say.  

Bottom line is I don't think we can trust any decisions TFC makes with respect to the local talent pool. Their track record speaks for itself, as you will no doubt agree.

TFC's track record is pretty much what I'd expect from a team that had a virtual monopoly on the local talent yet also had to placate a fan base that largely sees Canadian talent as inferior (although that is changing).

It's really no better or worse than pretty much every MLS team save for FC Dallas and NYRB in terms of academy products becoming first-team regulars. Thankfully the CPL should continue to provide opportunities to the young players that can't make the jump to MLS as quickly as the teams would like.

As for Telfer, I don't think my assessment of him is harsh at all. If anything, last year's team being "a joke" should have made it easier for him to break into the lineup as a key player. Yet he's been bypassed by a teenager.

These things happen, but as a late bloomer I don't think he's done at the MLS level just yet.

36 minutes ago, RS said:

TFC's track record is pretty much what I'd expect from a team that had a virtual monopoly on the local talent yet also had to placate a fan base that largely sees Canadian talent as inferior (although that is changing).

It's really no better or worse than pretty much every MLS team save for FC Dallas and NYRB in terms of academy products becoming first-team regulars. Thankfully the CPL should continue to provide opportunities to the young players that can't make the jump to MLS as quickly as the teams would like.

As for Telfer, I don't think my assessment of him is harsh at all. If anything, last year's team being "a joke" should have made it easier for him to break into the lineup as a key player. Yet he's been bypassed by a teenager.

These things happen, but as a late bloomer I don't think he's done at the MLS level just yet.

Instead of pointing out how and why you are wrong, I will just agree with your last paragraph, while inviting you to assume the rest of what you wrote is wrong. I trust this is satisfactory.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, RS said:

Sometimes debutantes, especially in attacking positions, have that new-car-smell, unknown/unscouted quality that gives them jump start.  You see what a guy is made of when the opposition starts to have some video on him and then game plans against him.  A few guys grow and adjust while most guys get found it.  I'm curious to see how things play out for both of these guys.

Edited by BearcatSA

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Sometimes debutantes, especially in attacking positions, have that new-car-smell, unknown/unscouted quality that gives them give them jump start.  You see what a guy is made of when the opposition starts to have some video on him and then game plans against him.  A few guys grow and adjust while most guys get found it.  I'm curious to see how things play for both of these guys.

No argument here.