Ryan Telfer

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

How do you think he measures up with Raheem Edwards/Petrasso? I'd like to see Levis given a chance further forward where he is natural too. 

I think Telfer is better as an explosive late game sub. But if we need a player who can do some defending on the wing for the whole game I would go with Edwards. Petrasso plays the right side, so he is a little different than Telfer. I think petrasso can also be a little more relied upon for defending. Another player in the mix is Millar, who is a bit more offensive as well.

Choosing between all our wingers is difficult past Davies and hoilett. I think Telfer may be more likely to make the squad than Edwards or Millar just because he has the sheer athleticism... I love how difficult it is to choose our squad now.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, Bison44 said:

He is not a defender, no matter where Vanney put him.  A guy that can attack down the wing, beat his man 1v1 and get in decent crosses or drive into the box is something we have been lacking for a long time (Josh Simpson??). He actually does more of it in MLS, than he did in USL. 

I actually think it is our biggest strength right now. Wing is probably the position its hardest to break into our senior team 11 at. Hoilett, Davies, Aird, Millar, Edwards have all shown the ability to beat a man, whip in crosses and score. Then you have dual nationals we are trying to call up like Tabla and Gutierrez (LB but think he makes a fine winger ultimately). At 24 Telfer is no longer a prospect, so he needs to show he can consistently play in MLS THIS season if he's going to make it at this level. The early signs are good, and you can't really make judgments on anyones play at TFC 2 as they are a bad team. I think if Telfer keeps it up or at least keeps getting regular sub apps for TFC then you cap him in September. But I don't think he makes a Gold Cup squad for us in 2019 unless he puts in a few more performances like his MOTM performance.

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

I actually think it is our biggest strength right now. Wing is probably the position its hardest to break into our senior team 11 at. Hoilett, Davies, Aird, Millar, Edwards have all shown the ability to beat a man, whip in crosses and score. Then you have dual nationals we are trying to call up like Tabla and Gutierrez (LB but think he makes a fine winger ultimately). At 24 Telfer is no longer a prospect, so he needs to show he can consistently play in MLS THIS season if he's going to make it at this level. The early signs are good, and you can't really make judgments on anyones play at TFC 2 as they are a bad team. I think if Telfer keeps it up or at least keeps getting regular sub apps for TFC then you cap him in September. But I don't think he makes a Gold Cup squad for us in 2019 unless he puts in a few more performances like his MOTM performance.

I do agree with your post. I think overall, he still needs to show his physical abilities and skills like he has. But I also think he has more time than you give him. There are late bloomers in Soccer, and Telfer strikes me as someone who could be one.

People are always talking about how players need to be fully developed at 24 years old. That just isn’t true. Players may not be prospects anymore but they can still improve durastically. Usually, skill and athleticism stop developing at age 23. But those are the most impressive things in Telfer’s game. What Telfer needs to improve upon is his mental game, passing, and defending ability. Those things continue to develop all throughout a players career. I can think of many examples Of players who stopped physical and skill development but still greatly improved: Osorio, Morgan, and even players like Iniesta who continued to improve into thier twenties and thirties.

I still think Telfer can make it as a regular in the MLS, especially since he is almost completely untouched in a professional environment. He needs practice and good coaching now. Thankfully, I think TFC realizes that.

• 1 year later...
Just now, canta15 said:

Never seen a loan move where a player is allowed to flip flop between teams. Glad he’s doing well though.

It has happened before.

Considering MLS doesn't break for its on Continental championship you have to allow for extreme circumstances.

Sure beats signing Rick Titus to a 1 day contract.

9 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Never seen a loan move where a player is allowed to flip flop between teams. Glad he’s doing well though.

Manchester United did it a few seasons back - can’t remember the player though.

Also, Dario Zanatta would always come back from loans to play for Hearts u20s.

Edited by CanadaFan123

On 6/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, canta15 said:

Aren't too many loans where it's only 2 subway stops from the one teams training facility to the other teams training facility - even in London! It's not like there was any travel involved.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:15 AM, nfitz said:

Aren't too many loans where it's only 2 subway stops from the one teams training facility to the other teams training facility - even in London! It's not like there was any travel involved.

Most of the main London clubs train off the tube map. That being said, Arsenal and Watford have their training facilities directly beside each other in St Albans, NW of London. Not sure how many direct loans there have been between the two clubs, though.

• 1 month later...

Considering he basically got demoted from TFC he is having quite the season. 

- first ever CPL goal

- assist in a short cameo for TFC

- goal against Impact in VC

He seems like a good candidate to move onto another league. Perhaps lower their in Europe. Big, strong winger with a cannon of a shot. Probably an easier to fit into another system than someone like Borges or Camargo.

11 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Considering he basically got demoted from TFC he is having quite the season. 

- first ever CPL goal

- assist in a short cameo for TFC

- goal against Impact in VC

He seems like a good candidate to move onto another league. Perhaps lower their in Europe. Big, strong winger with a cannon of a shot. Probably an easier to fit into another system than someone like Borges or Camargo.

Yeah, he's kind of a Tesho 2.0 . A little older than some guys at a comparable place in his career but strong Nd capable and still probably worth the investment.

Did anybody else catch his great Trinidadian accent last night, btw? Only moved to Canada fulltime at 17; I wonder if a currently weak T&T would be interested at some point if he continues progressing?

9 hours ago, nolando said:

Yeah, he's kind of a Tesho 2.0 . A little older than some guys at a comparable place in his career but strong Nd capable and still probably worth the investment.

Did anybody else catch his great Trinidadian accent last night, btw? Only moved to Canada fulltime at 17; I wonder if a currently weak T&T would be interested at some point if he continues progressing?

I'm surprised they haven't already approached him (unless they have and Telfer just hasn't said anything, but I find that unlikely.) Assuming they retool now with Nations League coming and they call up the Trinidad boys at HFX, they could call up Telfer as well.

18 hours ago, nolando said:

I don't think his game is very similar to Tesho's, if that's what you are suggesting. Telfer is kind of like a bull, whereas Akindele is more elegant and crafty. 

However, both have some good pace, so I would consider them similar in that respect.

I said before that we should have capped Telfer before T&T does. 

Now our team is so deep with wide attackers, it's going to be very hard to call him into our main team.

I could see him at a B camp or a purely domestic squad, maybe, but with nations league this fall, there is little room for experimenting.

Not that we play friendlies, but such games would not be so "friendly" with the new wcq format. We need fifa points.

I really don't see how he gets in our team now, but I hope he does, or at the very least doesn't suit up with our T&T (though I wouldn't blame him).

Edited by Obinna

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think his game is very similar to Tesho's, if that's what you are suggesting. Telfer is kind of like a bull, whereas Akindele is more elegant and crafty. 

However, both have some good pace, so I would consider them similar in that respect.

Both late bloomers was my main point. I admittedly haven't watched much of Telfur but he first impressed me as a late sub, IIRC, in Vancouver during a V's Cup match. He looked like a combination of size and finesse, which is not that far off of how I would describe Tesho. Maybe the comparison breaks down after that, I don't know.

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I mean, he could definitely play left back against Cuba.

I think Telfer would make an excellent left back. Obviously he has great physical attributes with his speed and strength, plus I think the position affords him more time and space. He's okay, but not the best in tight areas.

Kaye is very good in tight areas by comparison and we know that Davies should arguably be closer to goal.

Telfer though would give us the physical attributes of Kaye or Davies, and we wouldn't have to "waste" either of them in that position.

I think Herdman should consider him as one potential solution to the left back issue. If we keep Telfer out of the hands of the Trinis, even better.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Telfer would make an excellent left back. Obviously he has great physical attributes with his speed and strength, plus I think the position affords him more time and space. He's okay, but not the best in tight areas.

He really struggled defensively as an LWB while playing at TFC.  He would need a lot of work in all the defensive positional aspects of LB.  He's a really good athlete (size and speed combo) so those assets are a big plus.

BTW, that was a great finish in that Vees Cup game!

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why is everyone so eager to take guys that show offensive spark and make them LB?  WOW, that guy has excellent touch around the net, what good attacking instincts, lets spend the next 1-2 years training him to be a defender!!  

Exactly. Telfer is a winger, hea the only guy scoring for york on non set pieces.