David Norman Jr.

Dub Narcotic

9 hours ago, top cheese said:

If he plays regularly at League One level next year he would have to be considered for a National Team call up particularly as a right sided center back who can play in a 3

Is league 1 a high enough level? We have 9 Cb who are clearly above him in the depth charts.
1. vitoria
2. Miller
3. AJ (in a 3)
4. Kennedy
5. Cornelius
6. Heibert
7. Waterman
8. Zator 
9. Mcknaughton

Now add in the lesser CB and its hard to see DNJ anywhere near our CMNT. (I know the list is a bit optimistic with some younger guys but this is probably the player pool DNJ would be competing within). 
1. Smith
2. James
3. Yao
4. Ferkanus
5. knight-lebel
6. Dunn
7. Montgomery 
8. Didic
9. Luc de Fougerolles (LB and CB I believe?)
10.Henry
11. Piette? 
12. Bombito
13. Singh
14. Mekideche
15. Pearlman

Sure he may be more refined than quite a few of the guys on the list but with 9 senior CBs, and a likelihood that at least 2-3 of the players in the second list turn out to be decent at around the MLS level, that oould mean he is 13thish on the depth charts.  Thats quite a leap to consider him for CMNT especially if hes left footed. 

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm going to get some heat for this but I rate MLS mid to upper League 1 tier. No MLS isn't Championship level

I wouldn't argue with that. 

DNJ would be low league 1 and I am not sure he could make it in the MLS. 

What about CPL to low league 1. Was DNJ a better CB in the CPL than a guy like didic, james, yao etc?

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I wouldn't argue with that. 

DNJ would be low league 1 and I am not sure he could make it in the MLS. 

What about CPL to low league 1. Was DNJ a better CB in the CPL than a guy like didic, james, yao etc?

I thought he looked really good in the U23 with Canada at CB. He was ok with Cavalry but they did play him out of position a lot as LB and DM. I think he's a good defender at 24 who could develop to become solid with lots of playing time at a high level

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I thought he looked really good in the U23 with Canada at CB. He was ok with Cavalry but they did play him out of position a lot as LB and DM. I think he's a good defender at 24 who could develop to become solid with lots of playing time at a high level

Funny, having seen him mostly with Whitecaps and Pacific I’d consider him more of a midfielder than CB. Regardless, I think his time as a midfielder gave him qualities that some of our CBs don’t have. I think his passing range is one of his strengths

We have some tough time with League Two- Pepple flamed out quick, DNJ didn't get renewed, it's a tough league to break into as an international I guess. He only played with them 6 games, easy to see why they'd want to give his roster spot to one of the guys they'll bring in for League One next year. I hope he catches on for another season in League Two and gets a shot at a better team the following season. Feel like every time I heard about him, he was doing something good.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'm going to get some heat for this but I rate MLS mid to upper League 1 tier. No MLS isn't Championship level

I mean, if a team is "upper League 1", then occasionally they would be "lower Championship", because that's how pro/rel works. And that's about where I think the best MLS teams are - that fluctuation between leagues.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, if a team is "upper League 1", then occasionally they would be "lower Championship", because that's how pro/rel works. And that's about where I think the best MLS teams are - that fluctuation between leagues.

When comparing league, I usually base my opinion in the context of a full European season - not just if LAFC could win games against Championship clubs or even lower Premier League once in a while.

For League One we're talking like 46 games + different cups/tournament. MLS clubs do not have the depth to do as well as most League One clubs let alone championship at that intensity. The drop in quality in an MLS squad is way more obvious than a championship or League one clubs when there's injuries.

By upper League one, I exclude automatic promotion zone and maybe an MLS club could make it to the promotion zone once in a while but far from a given.

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Is league 1 a high enough level? We have 9 Cb who are clearly above him in the depth charts.
1. vitoria
2. Miller
3. AJ (in a 3)
4. Kennedy
5. Cornelius
6. Heibert
7. Waterman
8. Zator 
9. Mcknaughton

Now add in the lesser CB and its hard to see DNJ anywhere near our CMNT. (I know the list is a bit optimistic with some younger guys but this is probably the player pool DNJ would be competing within). 
1. Smith
2. James
3. Yao
4. Ferkanus
5. knight-lebel
6. Dunn
7. Montgomery 
8. Didic
9. Luc de Fougerolles (LB and CB I believe?)
10.Henry
11. Piette? 
12. Bombito
13. Singh
14. Mekideche
15. Pearlman

Sure he may be more refined than quite a few of the guys on the list but with 9 senior CBs, and a likelihood that at least 2-3 of the players in the second list turn out to be decent at around the MLS level, that oould mean he is 13thish on the depth charts.  Thats quite a leap to consider him for CMNT especially if hes left footed. 

Well he apparently got released today so that ends that arguement for me.

But MLS is a  pretty weird level of soccer. Its a real mishmash of quality so League 1 might compare to some and not to others. 

On 5/13/2023 at 3:51 AM, Ansem said:

When comparing league, I usually base my opinion in the context of a full European season - not just if LAFC could win games against Championship clubs or even lower Premier League once in a while.

For League One we're talking like 46 games + different cups/tournament. MLS clubs do not have the depth to do as well as most League One clubs let alone championship at that intensity. The drop in quality in an MLS squad is way more obvious than a championship or League one clubs when there's injuries.

By upper League one, I exclude automatic promotion zone and maybe an MLS club could make it to the promotion zone once in a while but far from a given.

MLS teams play 36-50 games per season with LOTS of cross-continental travel. League One teams play an entirely busable schedule.

37 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

MLS teams play 36-50 games per season with LOTS of cross-continental travel. League One teams play an entirely busable schedule.

Its not a secret that once you get to the bench, the quality drops significantly and this is a result of their gimmicks with the salary rules.

Had they had a flat salary cap, MLS would probably be a much stronger league.

Until then, League One is about right

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

True.  I have to say, though, I can't say I would love the - best case scenario - almost 6 hours coach ride from Plymouth (Argyle) up to Morecambe (Lancashire).  Or the almost 5 from Morecambe to Portsmouth.  Or even the 4+ from the Northwest clubs or Plymouth to Ipswich.  

Not as straight forward as Montreal to Toronto at least.  

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

Its not a secret that once you get to the bench, the quality drops significantly and this is a result of their gimmicks with the salary rules.

Had they had a flat salary cap, MLS would probably be a much stronger league.

Until then, League One is about right

I'm not really sure lower Championship sides have deep benches either.

I tend to try and compare players transferring between leagues as my bench mark, and I've seen good Championship players come over and just be "fine", nothing special.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not really sure lower Championship sides have deep benches either.

I tend to try and compare players transferring between leagues as my bench mark, and I've seen good Championship players come over and just be "fine", nothing special.

That's because the "special" players in MLS tend to be the likes of Insigne and Bernadeschi (well at least in theory lol).

• 1 month later...