David Norman Jr.

Dub Narcotic

4 consecutive starts for him at Queen of South F.C in the Scottish Championship 

Looks like his loan is going well

Should we take this with a grain of salt, or there is genuine progress there? 

Because the Premiership is equal to League One and somewhere in Between  MLS 

but the 2nd tier in Scotland? Similar to USL in which he played a full season in 2017 (27 GP) with the Whitecaps 2 

Definitely looks good on paper should he play in CPL next year 

Here's what I found snooping around the QoS boards...

"I hope that young David Norman Jr has another good game. I've been extremely impressed with him and his work rate is exceptional. On Tuesday (especially) he was defending and clearing his lines one minute and then setting up and completing an attack the next. 

There are elements of Ian McShane in him, particularly with his decisive passes and fine first touch balls, - but I think he is a much harder worker. Queens have missed someone in the engine room for quite a few seasons and if he continues to impress, - I'd be offering him an extension sooner rather than later, - before other clubs see his potential."

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 8:01 PM, nolando said:

It feels like the new gaffer will give a guy like Norman a better chance to prove his worth than his predecessor

Sadly not. I know he was injured for most of the season, but surely could have topped Andy Rose’s mediocre performances of recent weeks. Especially with the fixture congestion. 

The lack of opportunity for youngsters at this club drives me crazy. It is no wonder an ever growing list appear to be choosing to leave rather than stick around.  

It will be interesting to see if a kid like Khabibullah walks rather than sign an MLS deal.  I expect he’ll follow the path of Froese, Adekugbe, Chung, Campbell and Verhoeven and get out of town.

Edited by Soro17

I used to advocate they stay as I thought they would get better shots than at other clubs.  But the choke point in MLS seems to be so small, and so few players get minutes...why should they let their development be restricted.  And I know someone is going to say well they didnt win their minutes, and didnt deserve it, they are entitled.. blah blah blah.  But we see kids that do have success after getting squezed out of their hometown club.  Hopefully the whitecaps will give a good look at Khabibullah.  They cant do much worse by playing some kids considering the results they get bringing in guys from overseas.  

3 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Sadly not. I know he was injured for most of the season, but surely could have topped Andy Rose’s mediocre performances of recent weeks. Especially with the fixture congestion. 

Even if he couldn’t... out of the playoffs, out of the CanChamp, nothing left to play for... play the kids.

I’m having trouble trying to convince myself Simon Colyn is a member of the team and not some figment of my imagination.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Even if he couldn’t... out of the playoffs, out of the CanChamp, nothing left to play for... play the kids.

I’m having trouble trying to convince myself Simon Colyn is a member of the team and not some figment of my imagination.

I watched the Whitecaps' U23 development squad play a friendly against a 7th-tier English team south of London earlier this year. I didn't see any evidence that Simon Colyn was anything like ready to play MLS minutes. Theo Bair and Kamron Habibullah also played in that game and were both light years better than him. David Norman Jr was injured and didn't play that night.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I used to advocate they stay as I thought they would get better shots than at other clubs.  But the choke point in MLS seems to be so small, and so few players get minutes...why should they let their development be restricted.  And I know someone is going to say well they didnt win their minutes, and didnt deserve it, they are entitled.. blah blah blah.  But we see kids that do have success after getting squezed out of their hometown club.  Hopefully the whitecaps will give a good look at Khabibullah.  They cant do much worse by playing some kids considering the results they get bringing in guys from overseas.  

I realize this won't be popular, but to be fair we've bitched and complained about numerous youngsters not getting the chance with the Caps, but very few have actually had that much success immediately after leaving or on a level at par with MLS. Far more Jackson Farmer's than Sam Adekugbe's.

Edited by BCM

5 hours ago, gator said:

I thought Norman played quite well last night and is a solid addition to Pacific, he was a real steady force in the midfield, I honestly haven't seen much of him but on the small sample size I am surprised he didn't work out at the Caps!

Bad thing is, where would they slot him in? Thats a crowed midfield.  But I get it, unless the guy is an uber prospect, Davies etc they prob arent going to break through.  But I was really surprised they bailed on Verhoeven so fast and I hope they dont do the same with Coyln and Habibullah.  Sometimes you have to give that kid some time and you are rewarded later (ie Osorio, MA Kaye, Crepeau, Shome).  In a salary cap league,  there should be room to carry a couple youngsters on near minimum salaries for a year or two to see if they can break through.  

57 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Bad thing is, where would they slot him in? Thats a crowed midfield.  But I get it, unless the guy is an uber prospect, Davies etc they prob arent going to break through.  But I was really surprised they bailed on Verhoeven so fast and I hope they dont do the same with Coyln and Habibullah.  Sometimes you have to give that kid some time and you are rewarded later (ie Osorio, MA Kaye, Crepeau, Shome).  In a salary cap league,  there should be room to carry a couple youngsters on near minimum salaries for a year or two to see if they can break through.  

My understanding is that Verhoeven bailed on them. 

9 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

My understanding is that Verhoeven bailed on them. 

Well if his choice was a goofy developmental squad or playing regularly with Pacific I dont blame him.  That a classic uninvite....."we'll give you a dozen exhibition games against questionable opponents or you could go fully pro week in week out in the CPL.    

Even in the last four matches, unless there was a serious injury crisis we wouldn't have been seeing Norman or any of the other academy grad midfielders.  The coach is going with the guys he feels give him the best chance to win with.  So, we'll see Rose or PC when he's back healthy.  Colour me excited!!!  

That Columbus home game on Saturday the 21st is going to be a really bad TV optic unless they take my idea of "Dress as your favourite empty BC Place stadium seat!" as a discount promotion.  They are trying to do some distraction with this "Legends and Stars" match prior to the Houston game on the 14th.  Not sure how that will play out in terms of attendance.

Edited by BearcatSA

8 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

It's the worst midfield in MLS. The worst midfield in Whitecaps history. One of the worst I have ever seen at a professional team. They couldn't find 10 minutes for Norman?

I think the 2011 Vagenas, Thorrington, Khalfan, Salinas, etc + Chiumiento midfield was worse, just. The fact that Vagenas ever played for the Caps was an abomination. 

7 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

It's the worst midfield in MLS. The worst midfield in Whitecaps history. One of the worst I have ever seen at a professional team. They couldn't find 10 minutes for Norman?

Exactly!  Or Baldisimo.  They had to make sure the new guys Vanuta, Bangoura, Giro, Erice, got their time, Tiebert and imbom were pretty steady starters and Rose still had to get his minutes.  That would put Norman (when healthy) 8th or 9th in midfield, and they were already losing..hard to take a chance on a kid then when guys are calling for your head.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Exactly!  Or Baldisimo.  They had to make sure the new guys Vanuta, Bangoura, Giro, Erice, got their time, Tiebert and imbom were pretty steady starters and Rose still had to get his minutes.  That would put Norman (when healthy) 8th or 9th in midfield, and they were already losing..hard to take a chance on a kid then when guys are calling for your head.  

No one worth noting has been calling for his head. Why did Rose have to get his minutes? 

You dont think MDS is on the hot seat?  With the fans wearing bags over their head and the team searching for new front office guys? 

WHy did Rose get his minutes??  Ask MDS, I am not the coach, but somebody likes him, hes got at least a dozen start.  You bring in new faces your kind of stuck, you have to give them a good shot or you look stupid.  If its me I would not have brought in so many new faces in midfield and penciled in minutes for Baldisimo, Coyln, Norman etc, whichever youngsters show themselves in training and taking up only a tiny fraction of cap space.