David Norman Jr.

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

You dont think MDS is on the hot seat?  With the fans wearing bags over their head and the team searching for new front office guys? 

WHy did Rose get his minutes??  Ask MDS, I am not the coach, but somebody likes him, hes got at least a dozen start.  You bring in new faces your kind of stuck, you have to give them a good shot or you look stupid.  If its me I would not have brought in so many new faces in midfield and penciled in minutes for Baldisimo, Coyln, Norman etc, whichever youngsters show themselves in training and taking up only a tiny fraction of cap space.  

Well, the coach is on the record as saying that the young academy grads must earn their minutes and not have those minutes gifted to them.  Judging by what guys like Rose and PC bring, I can see why he's on the hot seat.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

WHy did Rose get his minutes??  Ask MDS, I am not the coach,

No need to ask MDS, I can tell you what he'll say: basically, he'll explain very condescendingly to you that you don't have as good a soccer mind as he does and that he can see things, postive things, in Rose's performances that confirms that it was the right decision to play him and that the Whitecaps are on the right track.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You dont think MDS is on the hot seat?  With the fans wearing bags over their head and the team searching for new front office guys? 

WHy did Rose get his minutes??  Ask MDS, I am not the coach, but somebody likes him, hes got at least a dozen start.  You bring in new faces your kind of stuck, you have to give them a good shot or you look stupid.  If its me I would not have brought in so many new faces in midfield and penciled in minutes for Baldisimo, Coyln, Norman etc, whichever youngsters show themselves in training and taking up only a tiny fraction of cap space.  

Sorry, I read your comment to mean that you believed Rose had to get his minutes. So, we are in agreement! Except with the bit about MDS being in the hot seat. As much as he should be, I don’t think he is. I think the Caps have an honest (if not naive) belief that the new technical director and some scouts will be enough to turn things around. 

Anyway, best to David Norman at PFC and Miami, I was looking forward to seeing him play for the Caps. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

MLS staff writer Matthew Doyle believes Inter Miami plans on converting Norman to a CB  ... please lets hope so. We saw how successful this type of re-training worked for Laryea going from attacking mid to RB. Hopefully those at Inter Miami have the same eye for talent as Vanney and Norman can develop into a quality defender.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/20/armchair-analyst-state-miami-nashville-rosters-post-expansion-draft

•  Did they get David Norman Jr. with the intention of converting him to center back? He's a big, competitive kid who's a pretty good central midfielder and played most of this year in Canadian Premier League, but probably lacks the vision and footwork necessary to play in the middle of the pitch at the MLS level. If that sounds something like Aaron Long five years ago, or Nat Borchers before him, well, that's where my head is, too. There's a pretty rich history of young CMs who have the physical tools to do so being converted to center back.

(For what it's worth, if I was a Canadian men's national team fan reading this I'd be rooting like hell for Norman to be converted to CB, which is the thinnest spot on Canada's roster.)

1 hour ago, SirBobsaget said:

MLS staff writer Matthew Doyle believes Inter Miami plans on converting Norman to a CB  ... please lets hope so. We saw how successful this type of re-training worked for Laryea going from attacking mid to RB. Hopefully those at Inter Miami have the same eye for talent as Vanney and Norman can develop into a quality defender.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/20/armchair-analyst-state-miami-nashville-rosters-post-expansion-draft

•  Did they get David Norman Jr. with the intention of converting him to center back? He's a big, competitive kid who's a pretty good central midfielder and played most of this year in Canadian Premier League, but probably lacks the vision and footwork necessary to play in the middle of the pitch at the MLS level. If that sounds something like Aaron Long five years ago, or Nat Borchers before him, well, that's where my head is, too. There's a pretty rich history of young CMs who have the physical tools to do so being converted to center back.

(For what it's worth, if I was a Canadian men's national team fan reading this I'd be rooting like hell for Norman to be converted to CB, which is the thinnest spot on Canada's roster.)

I don't give Vanney credit for very much and I will point out Laryea ended up in this spot due to lots of injuries, I agree another young CB in our pool would be great, let's hope Norman learns a lot!

1 hour ago, gator said:

I don't give Vanney credit for very much and I will point out Laryea ended up in this spot due to lots of injuries, I agree another young CB in our pool would be great, let's hope Norman learns a lot!

Vanney din't bring in Laryea to be a midfielder he saw him as a RB/RWB. I can't remember a single penetrating pass from Laryea through the lines this year, he would be a terrible midfielder hence why Orlando never gave him a chance. Out wide he drew penalties running into the box and delivered dangerous byline crosses. Vanney saw that potential when Orlando did not.

1 hour ago, gator said:

I don't give Vanney credit for very much and I will point out Laryea ended up in this spot due to lots of injuries

5 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Vanney din't bring in Laryea to be a midfielder he saw him as a RB/RWB. I can't remember a single penetrating pass from Laryea through the lines this year, he would be a terrible midfielder hence why Orlando never gave him a chance. Out wide he drew penalties running into the box and delivered dangerous byline crosses. Vanney saw that potential when Orlando did not.

This is accurate. Laryea was being converted to a RB by TFC in preseason training, so someone at TFC brought him in for that spot (or realized that Laryea would do better as a RB/RWB pretty quickly into the trial process).

Interestingly enough, some on this board thought Laryea wouldn't succeed at RB (along with the requisite shots at Vanney).

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe we can start a GoFundMe campaign to make that happen. 

It makes sense. Cavs have a ton of options already in midfield. Norman is big and competitive, Wheeldon JR loves that type of cb.

• 2 years later...