David Norman Jr.

Dub Narcotic

Would be considered domestic league-wide in the MLS now, should he get there.

Curious to know which WFC2 and TFC2 (and I suppose former FC Mtl) players fall into the same category (ie started at an academy before 15 (16?), signed first pro contract with one of these USL clubs, but is not an MLS player yet.)  I've seen the list of 8-9 current Canadian MLSers who are now domestic league-wide (which is now more I guess with the 2017 draftees being included).  Haven't seen a list of those waiting in the wings, though.

On 1/19/2017 at 7:37 PM, shorty said:

Would be considered domestic league-wide in the MLS now, should he get there.

Curious to know which WFC2 and TFC2 (and I suppose former FC Mtl) players fall into the same category (ie started at an academy before 15 (16?), signed first pro contract with one of these USL clubs, but is not an MLS player yet.)  I've seen the list of 8-9 current Canadian MLSers who are now domestic league-wide (which is now more I guess with the 2017 draftees being included).  Haven't seen a list of those waiting in the wings, though.

I wasn't aware that any players had switched?  I recall some saying that Laryea and Larin wouldn't be domestic league wide (even though they should under the current rules).  Maybe on their next contract they will be? 

52 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wasn't aware that any players had switched?  I recall some saying that Laryea and Larin wouldn't be domestic league wide (even though they should under the current rules).  Maybe on their next contract they will be? 

Larin is domestic because he has a green card.

So the list started with Tabla, Choiniere, Roberts, Hamilton, Manella, Davies, Carducci, Bustos and Teibert. It was expanded to include draftees some of whom would have fallen under the rule and some who wouldn't: Awuah, Wright, Nanco, Reid, and Shome. We have all but one existing Canadians in the MLS (Akindele, Johnson, Larin, Laryea) already domestic by virtue of residency or citizenship. The only Canadian currently taking an international slot is Tyler Pasher. Then we have a bunch of ex-MLSers who might presumably qualify if they ever came back and if they met the age requirement which I haven't checked (ranging wildly in likelihood from JGL, Aparicio, and Bekker to, say, Matt Stinson or Oscar Cordon). And finally we have those who are still in the pipeline...

What a gong show.

• 10 months later...
On 12/1/2017 at 9:29 AM, harrycoyster said:

Signed by the Caps to an MLS contract. 

IMO he was the best of the Baby Caps Canadian midfielders last season, but the team was so bad it's hard to say anything definitive about his level or potential. Gave 100% effort every game.

I'm not sure what he will be as a pro. He's a big, strong players who is comfortable in the middle of the field but relatively slow - looks more like a pure old-school holding mid-type of player. Whitecaps saying good things about him but they said the same about Ben McKendry and Ben was never able to win much time with the MLS team.

45 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I'm not sure what he will be as a pro. He's a big, strong players who is comfortable in the middle of the field but relatively slow - looks more like a pure old-school holding mid-type of player. Whitecaps saying good things about him but they said the same about Ben McKendry and Ben was never able to win much time with the MLS team.

His lack of pace is less damning than his lack of foot speed and agility. He's constantly dispossessed in tight spaces because other players just react/move faster. I always thought he'd fall back to CB, but the kid is pretty adamant about playing as a #8 apparently.

If he's going to make it as a pro he's going to need to develop his passing game because the physical traits just aren't there. Caps do love him though, as you said, and he has the size and workrate that Robbo loves in his midfielders. 

Edited by harrycoyster

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Well it would also make sense because he could join the MLS pre-season in 2019. 

To add to this point, I believe I’ve read if a player is loaned to a club in another country, they cannot recall that player early if he is needed by the parent club (ex. Injury cover, etc). 

I believe the loan can be extended anytime though, so if all parties are happy then they can extend it at a later date with no issue. 

I agree with those who have qualms about Norman, I recall the last time I saw him. For WCII, two summers ago, at UBC. He is a bit slow, has limited range, is not that quick footed. Was slow getting to the defensive position as well.

Maybe he has picked it up a bit. I prefer McKendry, of that bunch Chung has more projection, apart from the foreigners who have moved on, like Greig, Sem de Wit. 

Still, if he gets minutes, and he can raise the overall pace, there might be something there. 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:11 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with those who have qualms about Norman, I recall the last time I saw him. For WCII, two summers ago, at UBC. He is a bit slow, has limited range, is not that quick footed. Was slow getting to the defensive position as well.

Maybe he has picked it up a bit. I prefer McKendry, of that bunch Chung has more projection, apart from the foreigners who have moved on, like Greig, Sem de Wit. 

Still, if he gets minutes, and he can raise the overall pace, there might be something there. 

While I still don’t think he’ll ever be a CMNT level talent, it’s worth repeating that the Caps love this kid and he’s going to get every opportunity going forward. I’ve talked to some of his old coaches about his game and they always mention the work ethic and personality he brings to a locker room.